Sun Princess beer question..

big al

Hi guys & gals- I am an admitted & proud beer snob...I like draft beers over bottled/ canned beers and have found that about 80-85% of cruise ships ( I have been on 45 cruises including 7 cruise lines..) have lousy beers on draft EXCEPT the Breakaway Plus ships on NCL, who have a place called "The District Brewhouse", where they have between 25-27 draft beers on tap..another 75 in bottles..it's Beer Heaven for a guy like me...for those who have either just cruised the new Sun Princess, OR are going soon on her, can you please post what draft beers you see on the ship & where you found them..hopefully, at least O'Malley's fight have some...the Sun Princess looks super...thanks!

Big Al

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, big al said:

Hi guys & gals- I am an admitted & proud beer snob...I like draft beers over bottled/ canned beers and have found that about 80-85% of cruise ships ( I have been on 45 cruises including 7 cruise lines..) have lousy beers on draft EXCEPT the Breakaway Plus ships on NCL, who have a place called "The District Brewhouse", where they have between 25-27 draft beers on tap..another 75 in bottles..it's Beer Heaven for a guy like me...for those who have either just cruised the new Sun Princess, OR are going soon on her, can you please post what draft beers you see on the ship & where you found them..hopefully, at least O'Malley's fight have some...the Sun Princess looks super...thanks!

Big Al

I agree with the Breakaway Plus selection. Best at sea. Too bad they always seem to close that bar pretty early when it would be great being opened until after midnight. 

I think Omalleys on the Sun is the same as the last class. IMG_1378.jpeg.3ba54ca560a7392046a89748add4020f.jpeg

This is from the O’Malleys menu on the Sun. The same 4 were on tap at the Salty Dog on the Discovery a few weeks ago. 
The Affligem is a blonde. The Lagunitas an IPA. 

1 minute ago, New2cruise2022 said:

I agree with the Breakaway Plus selection. Best at sea. Too bad they always seem to close that bar pretty early when it would be great being opened until after midnight. 

I think Omalleys on the Sun is the same as the last class. IMG_1378.jpeg.3ba54ca560a7392046a89748add4020f.jpeg

This is from the O’Malleys menu on the Sun. The same 4 were on tap at the Salty Dog on the Discovery a few weeks ago. 
The Affligem is a blonde. The Lagunitas an IPA. 

Thanks..other Lagunitas, pretty bad list..I don't like Heineken..Enchanted, Regal & Crown Princess were all pretty boring...

1 minute ago, big al said:

Thanks..other Lagunitas, pretty bad list..I don't like Heineken..Enchanted, Regal & Crown Princess were all pretty boring...

I don’t mind as much that ships don’t carry a big list of beers on tap, because logistics might be difficult. But I do wish there were more variety of bottles. I wouldn’t even care if it regularly changed and the availability was written on a chalkboard. I’m sure there is an Italian beer on board in bottles and some Asian beer available at Umai and Kai sushi. I believe we might have had Red Stripe in another bar. But all bottles. 

• Like 1

I share the beer snob's disappointment in the small selection of draughts but understand the difficulty in providing more. Anyway, I learned on a recent cruise that some beers (cans/bottles) are available even if not listed on a menu. To wit: John Smith, an English ale that is a seldom-seen brew in the States. (Even snobbier beer snobs know that this product is now owned by Heineken and might not be the same as in years past, but I was still happy to discover it, thanks to my happenstance bar seating beside a gentleman from somewhere in England.)

• Like 1

Not to be confused with Samuel Smith, also a well known beer & brewery...

12 minutes ago, hop2it said:

I share the beer snob's disappointment in the small selection of draughts but understand the difficulty in providing more. Anyway, I learned on a recent cruise that some beers (cans/bottles) are available even if not listed on a menu. To wit: John Smith, an English ale that is a seldom-seen brew in the States. (Even snobbier beer snobs know that this product is now owned by Heineken and might not be the same as in years past, but I was still happy to discover it, thanks to my happenstance bar seating beside a gentleman from somewhere in England.)

Thanks for the tip!

Big Al