NCL Iceland shore excursions

Definitely go over to the TripAdvisor forums, but in general, outside of Reykjavik and to an extent Akureyri, there is limited tourist infrastructure in the small towns, or even public transport to get anywhere. There just isn't enough business to make it viable.  That means you book very early with the very few local providers, take a ship's tour, or just wander around on your own (which will be a short wander - these are VERY small towns.)

Agree that trying to schedule anything in Isafjordur is iffy until ships can show they will reliably dock there.

Agree that trying to book thru Viator or another middle man is not a great idea in general, but particularly when traveling to Iceland.  Weather can impact tours any time of year and communicating thru Viator is next to impossible.  I do like Viator as a way to see what's available, but I always book directly thru the company.

• Like 1

I emailed the tourism office for Westfiords about the status of the dredging in the  Isafjordur port and received a prompt reply this week.  They are currently still working on the dredging and apparently the contractors doing the work have promised they will be ready for the coming cruise season.  We will be on the Prima scheduled to port there on May 21.  I am prepared to be disappointed but this is the most hopeful news I’ve heard for quite a while about this project.  Fingers crossed - we may actually make it this year.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2024 at 7:45 PM, Cruiseguy14 said:

I will be sailing on July 27th from Iceland to New York.  I recently went to the carribean and researched every port and was able to plan my own excursions  which saved me thousands and I didn’t sacrifice any enjoyment.

I am trying to do the same with Iceland and I am having trouble finding the same type of resources for information. If anyone has any resources that would help me plan out my trip I would be very grateful . Below are the ports I am visiting:

Thanks I’m advance. 

Hi Cruise Guy, While in Isafjordur we went to Dyanjdi Waterfalls, a 7 seven layer waterfall that you can walk up to the top.  It was beautiful.  We had a private driver for 4 and the excursion was 6 hours.  This was booked thru Iceland Backcountry and we paid per couple 2021 $376.

In Akureyri we were on an overnight so we went to Forest Lagoon on the day we docked, next day we did the diamond circle excursion thru the cruise ship since we had OBC.  This took us to the Godafoss falls and to the Botanical Gardens.  It was a 6 hr excursion, on a group bus tour.  We could of used more time at both locations, especially at the gargens, it was beautiful.  Had we known we could have done the gardens on our own the day before because it is located behind the church.  So walkable from the port.  Hope this helps.  Djupivogur was not one of the ports we stopped at.  We were on the Azamara Pursuit, loved the service and food, long port stops and overnights with this cruise.

16 hours ago, Broadwayfamily said:

Hi Cruise Guy, While in Isafjordur we went to Dyanjdi Waterfalls, a 7 seven layer waterfall that you can walk up to the top.  It was beautiful.  We had a private driver for 4 and the excursion was 6 hours.  This was booked thru Iceland Backcountry and we paid per couple 2021 $376.

In Akureyri we were on an overnight so we went to Forest Lagoon on the day we docked, next day we did the diamond circle excursion thru the cruise ship since we had OBC.  This took us to the Godafoss falls and to the Botanical Gardens.  It was a 6 hr excursion, on a group bus tour.  We could of used more time at both locations, especially at the gargens, it was beautiful.  Had we known we could have done the gardens on our own the day before because it is located behind the church.  So walkable from the port.  Hope this helps.  Djupivogur was not one of the ports we stopped at.  We were on the Azamara Pursuit, loved the service and food, long port stops and overnights with this cruise.

Thank you this is helpful