Pre-Cruise Day Hikes Near Seattle End of June

Hi All,

I'm hoping for some local experts to weigh in on this question.  What are some good day hikes within driving distance from Seattle?  We're planning to rent a car for a few days and are looking closely at doing the Skyline Loop on Mt. Rainier and already have entrance reservations for a couple of days there.  Are there other hikes nearby?  Is Discovery Park worthwhile?

We also hope to take the Bainbridge Island ferry one day, but may walk to it.  Is that doable from the Mediterranean Inn?

Thanks.

Posted (edited)

I'd definitely have a plan B in your pocket regarding the Skyline Loop.  While across the Cascades this has been a below-average year for snowpack (in some areas dangerously so - fire problems later) there's currently still 10 feet of snow on the ground at Paradise and typically there's still 5 - 6 feet of snow on the ground on July 1.  Parts of the Skyline Loop might be bare, others muddy or slushy, or others still covered by rotten snow and ice.  Feel lucky?  It's also a time of year that has as many cloudy/rainy days in the mountains as clear ones.  

I'd probably be inclined to look at lower elevation hikes just to be safe.  One easy and rewarding hike is at Snoqualmie Falls, 40 min. east of the city off I-90.  In June the falls are quite spectacular with all the melting snow runoff from the mountains, and the hike from the top of the falls to the bottom is easy and rewarding.  

Discovery Park is certainly possible, and sure, you can get to Bainbridge Island easily from anywhere in town.  You might want to think about a couple of loop drives - either day drives or overnight, to two of the other major islands in the Puget Sound region, Whidbey Island to the north and Vashon Island to the south and west of Seattle.  There are excellent hikes to be had at places like Deception Pass State Park or Fort Casey State Park on Whidbey, or at the cool Port Robinson State Park on Vashon, complete with its picturesque lighthouse and views of Mount Rainier, and also a very cool giant troll made from scrap wood in the forest behind the beach.  Google the places on these maps.

Widbey loop - https://maps.app.goo.gl/GJP3pNo5bJtVkgLAA

Vashon loop - https://maps.app.goo.gl/GAF2pqRt2MYpTuZ97

The other thought I had, which would require investing at least 3 days (if you have the time) would be a loop over the Cascades and south to the Columbia River Gorge, just east of Portland.  The many waterfalls along the Gorge walls are at their best in late June, you can ride the "Magic Mile" chairlift on the side of Mount Hood from iconic Timberline Lodge up to the permanent ice fields, enjoy the "fruit loop" through the beautiful Hood River Valley, or visit the eclectic Maryhill Museum on the clifftops overlooking the great river.  This is one of the best short road trips in the west, really worth your time if you have enough.  Map - https://maps.app.goo.gl/7L4N6Gk4ecEuDfs78

Edited by Gardyloo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gardyloo said:

I'd definitely have a plan B in your pocket regarding the Skyline Loop.  While across the Cascades this has been a below-average year for snowpack (in some areas dangerously so - fire problems later) there's currently still 10 feet of snow on the ground at Paradise and typically there's still 5 - 6 feet of snow on the ground on July 1.  Parts of the Skyline Loop might be bare, others muddy or slushy, or others still covered by rotten snow and ice.  Feel lucky?  It's also a time of year that has as many cloudy/rainy days in the mountains as clear ones.  

I'd probably be inclined to look at lower elevation hikes just to be safe.  One easy and rewarding hike is at Snoqualmie Falls, 40 min. east of the city off I-90.  In June the falls are quite spectacular with all the melting snow runoff from the mountains, and the hike from the top of the falls to the bottom is easy and rewarding.  

Discovery Park is certainly possible, and sure, you can get to Bainbridge Island easily from anywhere in town.  You might want to think about a couple of loop drives - either day drives or overnight, to two of the other major islands in the Puget Sound region, Whidbey Island to the north and Vashon Island to the south and west of Seattle.  There are excellent hikes to be had at places like Deception Pass State Park or Fort Casey State Park on Whidbey, or at the cool Port Robinson State Park on Vashon, complete with its picturesque lighthouse and views of Mount Rainier, and also a very cool giant troll made from scrap wood in the forest behind the beach.  Google the places on these maps.

Widbey loop - https://maps.app.goo.gl/GJP3pNo5bJtVkgLAA

Vashon loop - https://maps.app.goo.gl/GAF2pqRt2MYpTuZ97

The other thought I had, which would require investing at least 3 days (if you have the time) would be a loop over the Cascades and south to the Columbia River Gorge, just east of Portland.  The many waterfalls along the Gorge walls are at their best in late June, you can ride the "Magic Mile" chairlift on the side of Mount Hood from iconic Timberline Lodge up to the permanent ice fields, enjoy the "fruit loop" through the beautiful Hood River Valley, or visit the eclectic Maryhill Museum on the clifftops overlooking the great river.  This is one of the best short road trips in the west, really worth your time if you have enough.  Map - https://maps.app.goo.gl/7L4N6Gk4ecEuDfs78

Thanks for the advice and suggestions.  We've already booked rooms in Seattle, so we're going to make that our base and just do some days trips.  We'll have part of Friday, all day Saturday, and all day Sunday in Seattle as the cruise leaves on Monday morning.  We arrive early enough on Friday that we may be able to take in the Snoqualmie Falls hike that afternoon!  We'll monitor the conditions at Mt. Rainier and hit it either Saturday or Sunday, and do Bainbridge and Discovery Park the other day.

Thanks again and if any other hikes come to mind, please share those as well!