Great Day with Jo Junie Tours

I read this forum a ton trying to decide what to do during our St. Maarten day, and I'm happy to report that we had a wonderful day with Jo Junie Tours last week. We're a family of 5, parents and 3 boys ages 10-15. The tour was very reasonably priced for all day on the island. $50 per adult and $25 per kid under 13, so it was only $200 for our family for the whole day. Of course, we added a tip at the end.

The company was quick to answer via email when we had questions before, and it was easy to follow the instructions and a video describing to meet the bus at the EDC, which was maybe a 10 minute walk from the ship. We were greeted as soon as we entered the parking area, and we were sent to wait in a shaded area while waiting for the rest of our group. It was the same check-in tent used by Bernard's Tours, and I noticed that our group was much, much smaller than the groups going out from their tours. We had just 9 people including our family of 5 on our air-conditioned, comfortable bus, which could seat at least double that.

The tour included a cooler full of bottled water, Coke, Sprite, homemade rum punch, and beer, which added to the value. Our tour guide, Freddy, encouraged us to take as much as we wanted throughout the day. He was very knowledgeable and explained everything as we were seeing it.

During our time from 9-3, I felt like we saw pretty much the whole island. We visited Orient Beach, the iguanas, several overlooks, Marigot, the border between the 2 countries, and Maho. Freddy continually explained the history of the island and places of interest. We had several quick scenic stops, and longer 45 minute--90 minute stops at Orient Beach, Marigot, and Maho Beach. At the end of the tour, we could be dropped off at downtown Philipsburg or the pier. 

It was my kids' favorite day of our entire cruise, and finding something that preteen/teen boys love isn't always the easiest! We would happily book again because of the reasonable price, small tour group, and excellent information throughout the tour. We all loved it!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I’m trying to find a private or semi private tour for our stop in St Maarten next month. Did you have any input on where they took you or how long you stayed at each stop?

I had been in touch with Coral Transportation but they wanted $400 for a 5 hour tour which was $100 more than quoted on their website and an hour shorter, so I was not impressed with their bait and switch tactics.

Edited by mackfam
Typo
  • Like 1

@mackfam

For this tour, we didn't really have input into the schedule. The only request I made in advance that we be taken to a family-friendly beach on the Orient side since I was traveling with kids and didn't want any nudity. They accommodated this for us. The other option we had was to be dropped either in Phillipsburg and walk or get a taxi back to the port or get dropped off at the port. 

When I initially inquired, they recommended a private tour, which we ended up not doing because we were on a tighter budget. I'll copy the info they sent me below. We got at least 6 hours on this tour since we met at 8:45 and I believe got back around 3-3:30. 

Email from company:

With your group might we suggest a private tour. We offer private tours for 1-5 persons at $400 which includes a private driver and tour guide that will be with you for your duration of the tour. You have an air conditioned vehicle to accommodate your group size and will be only for your guests. We also offer free drinks ( water, beer, soda, and rum punch) all day. With the private tour you have full control and flexibility on where you want to go, the duration and when you would like to get back to your pickup point. For our cruise guests we always make sure they are back to the port on time!
Let me know if you have any other questions and if this would work for you and I will advise on the next steps.

Hope that helps a little!

• 1 month later...
On 3/19/2024 at 12:09 PM, heath7767 said:

I read this forum a ton trying to decide what to do during our St. Maarten day, and I'm happy to report that we had a wonderful day with Jo Junie Tours last week. We're a family of 5, parents and 3 boys ages 10-15. The tour was very reasonably priced for all day on the island. $50 per adult and $25 per kid under 13, so it was only $200 for our family for the whole day. Of course, we added a tip at the end.

The company was quick to answer via email when we had questions before, and it was easy to follow the instructions and a video describing to meet the bus at the EDC, which was maybe a 10 minute walk from the ship. We were greeted as soon as we entered the parking area, and we were sent to wait in a shaded area while waiting for the rest of our group. It was the same check-in tent used by Bernard's Tours, and I noticed that our group was much, much smaller than the groups going out from their tours. We had just 9 people including our family of 5 on our air-conditioned, comfortable bus, which could seat at least double that.

The tour included a cooler full of bottled water, Coke, Sprite, homemade rum punch, and beer, which added to the value. Our tour guide, Freddy, encouraged us to take as much as we wanted throughout the day. He was very knowledgeable and explained everything as we were seeing it.

During our time from 9-3, I felt like we saw pretty much the whole island. We visited Orient Beach, the iguanas, several overlooks, Marigot, the border between the 2 countries, and Maho. Freddy continually explained the history of the island and places of interest. We had several quick scenic stops, and longer 45 minute--90 minute stops at Orient Beach, Marigot, and Maho Beach. At the end of the tour, we could be dropped off at downtown Philipsburg or the pier. 

It was my kids' favorite day of our entire cruise, and finding something that preteen/teen boys love isn't always the easiest! We would happily book again because of the reasonable price, small tour group, and excellent information throughout the tour. We all loved it!

Can you advise which excursion you selected?  There are several on the list.  There will be 8 family members traveling.  It sounds like a good fit for us.  Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, Derbie said:

Can you advise which excursion you selected?  There are several on the list.  There will be 8 family members traveling.  It sounds like a good fit for us.  Thanks in advance!

I just checked our invoice, and it is listed as the Fun Day Tour for 6 hours.