Sabang, Indonesia

SophieM

We will have a port call in Sabang (Pulau Weh), but I haven’t been able to find any tours other than those offered by the ship. If you have been there, I’d really appreciate any suggestions. 

Thanks much!

We just walked around and were able to talk to a couple of the residents.i don’t think they get a lot of tourists. When we got tired of walking, we took a pedicab (don’t remember if it was pulled by motorcycle or bicycle) back down to the port. Very interesting to see posted signs with arrows pointed uphill to evacuation areas, in case of tsunamis. When we were there in early ‘19 they were building new docks, so I hope they have cruises using them, if they are finished. 

2 minutes ago, globalgertie said:

We just walked around and were able to talk to a couple of the residents.i don’t think they get a lot of tourists. When we got tired of walking, we took a pedicab (don’t remember if it was pulled by motorcycle or bicycle) back down to the port. Very interesting to see posted signs with arrows pointed uphill to evacuation areas, in case of tsunamis. When we were there in early ‘19 they were building new docks, so I hope they have cruises using them, if they are finished. 

Thanks for your reply!

We did a ships tour which was great but a little rustic.  The local school put on a dance performance which was really great.  Just out of the port gates there was a small craft market set up and you can walk into the town but to be honest there is not that much to see.  However the people are so friendly and constantly stopped us asking to take pictures with us and a couple of times we were asked for our autographs which I found very strange.  We loved this stop on our cruise and hope it retains its charm once tourism takes a hold here.

12 minutes ago, woodley said:

We did a ships tour which was great but a little rustic.  The local school put on a dance performance which was really great.  Just out of the port gates there was a small craft market set up and you can walk into the town but to be honest there is not that much to see.  However the people are so friendly and constantly stopped us asking to take pictures with us and a couple of times we were asked for our autographs which I found very strange.  We loved this stop on our cruise and hope it retains its charm once tourism takes a hold here.

Thanks!