Old cruise certificates

I have a couple of next cruise certificates for Celebrity, which were made on board before the pandemic. Each of the certificates is a deposit of US 100. I don’t remember the benefits attached to those certificates. Am I entitled to reduced deposit when doing the actual booking? To OBC?

Generally these are your deposit for your reservation so no additional deposit should be required.   I believe the OBC expires if you don't apply it to a sailing within 6 months.

I also believe they are refundable if you don't want to use them.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

If you never applied those to a cruise they would have expired a long time ago. You should have received your deposit back once they hit the expiration date.

I do not think they have expired. This was at the time when those certificates did not have a requirement of booking within 6 months. They did not have an expiration date.

7 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

I do not think they have expired. This was at the time when those certificates did not have a requirement of booking within 6 months. They did not have an expiration date.

I can't say I have ever seen a Book Later form that didn't have book by stipulations. The time allowed often fluctuated but I've never seen one that is truly open ended. You would have to see if a Celebrity or a TA can apply to it towards a booking to know for sure. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

Generally these are your deposit for your reservation so no additional deposit should be required.   I believe the OBC expires if you don't apply it to a sailing within 6 months.

I also believe they are refundable if you don't want to use them.

Right after covid I had 2 Onboard future cruise deposits that allowed a decision to be made up to 1 Year on.

Then that Onboard offer shrank to 90 days then went up to 6 months for New onboard deposits.

They all had OBC's based on cabin category.

2 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

I can't say I have ever seen a Book Later form that didn't have book by stipulations. The time allowed often fluctuated but I've never seen one that is truly open ended. You would have to see if a Celebrity or a TA can apply to it towards a booking to know for sure. 

I’ve definitely had some older ones w/o an expiration date. They did limit how long you had to book in order to get the extra OBC, though

8 minutes ago, JaneStarr said:

They did limit how long you had to book in order to get the extra OBC, though

This is why I don't understand why people get them.   I just  book something with a refundable deposit as far in the future as possible.  Then when I decide I have my TA move it to the new sailing and at that time decided if I want to keep it refundable but in most cases change to non-refundable as I only have $100/pp at risk.

1 hour ago, JaneStarr said:

I’ve definitely had some older ones w/o an expiration date. They did limit how long you had to book in order to get the extra OBC, though

It had to have been under the old Open Passages program which ended in late 2018 to early 2019? I can't find the exact date. Celebrity used to have a document comparing the two programs when they switched to Book Now/Book Later but I can't find it either. The current Book Later certificates since at least 19 always have an expiration date. 4th bullet down under the guest info box. 

1 minute ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

It had to have been under the old Open Passages program which ended in late 2018 to early 2019? I can't find the exact date. Celebrity used to have a document comparing the two programs when they switched to Book Now/Book Later but I can't find it either. The current Book Later certificates since at least 19 always have an expiration date. 4th bullet down under the guest info box. 

Yes; that is correct

5 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

I found in my files that the open “Cruise Later” Passages program ended way longer ago than we thought.  I had an old one to use for many years after that, so I saved the attached document with the rules from 2014

Celebrity Cruises Onboard Future Cruises Pre 6 July 2015.pdf

9 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

This is why I don't understand why people get them.   I just  book something with a refundable deposit as far in the future as possible.  Then when I decide I have my TA move it to the new sailing and at that time decided if I want to keep it refundable but in most cases change to non-refundable as I only have $100/pp at risk.

What would happen in this scenario when you change the sail date, change to NRD, and change your stateroom to the  Retreat on the new sailing ?  Are you required now to pay the deposit difference since retreat deposits are now higher?

11 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

What would happen in this scenario when you change the sail date, change to NRD, and change your stateroom to the  Retreat on the new sailing ?  Are you required now to pay the deposit difference since retreat deposits are now higher?

Yes; that is my understanding of how it’s supposed to work. 

• Thanks 2