Shore Excursions in Manaus and Santarem/Alter do Chao

DCThunder

I just returned from the Holland America cruise that goes up the Amazon River to Manaus with stops at several ports on the river.  The trip was amazing and I'm very glad I went.  I also have no burning desire to ever go back, but the trip scratched a long-time itch to see the Amazon rainforest up close.

If anyone here is doing this cruise, be sure to book shore excursions in Manaus through Do Brazil Right tours.  They meet the ship right on the pontoon where passengers disembark, have small 10-20 person mini-buses for city tours, and two level riverboats for the river cruises, the guides speak excellent English and are very knowledgeable, and it's an overall first rate operation. 

Manaus can be a somewhat dangerous city (I heard one passenger on the ship was robbed at gunpoint and roughed up a bit in the process while exploring with her daughter!), and DoBrazilRight was very diligent about keeping our tour group together as we wandered through the huge produce, fish, and meat market.  We also had plenty of time at the Manus Opera House and were able to hear a local orchestra as they rehearsed for a performance.  The boat day cruise to the Meeting of the Waters, a visit to a fish hatchery, including lunch, and a native village for a dance celebration also included swimming with the pink dolphins.  

For Santarem/Alter do Chao (two separate towns, but Alter do Chao is more of a resort), book with Selvagem Tours.  Karlos is the manager and he also runs a great operation.  In Santarem we went up a smaller river and saw a sloth hanging in a tree, fished for piranhas, and saw a lot of trees.  Alter do Chao allowed for two stops at beautiful sand beaches where we were able to swim in the Amazon.  The boats met us right at the pier and we were off the ship and on the riverboats in 10 minutes.

Both of these operations get a 10/10 from me.  Check them out if you get to the Amazon. 

• Like 1