3/18-3/22, 2024 MSC Magnifica Review

Flnative9206

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Flnative9206 was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Just got off the beautiful MSC Magnifica! I will admit I was skeptical to sail with MSC based on the reviews I had read from others… but I was very pleased to say the least. 

Embarkation Process- 10/10

First Initial Impression- 10/10

Food- 8/10

Cleanliness- 10/10

Cabin #9006 (Junior Balc)- 8/10

Staff to Guest Ratio: 10/10

Customer Service: 10/10

Entertainment: 8/10

Disembarkation Process: 10/10

Embarkation Process: 

I have only been on about 7 cruises or so, but MSC’s embarkation process was super quick  and simple. I have no idea if it is because I showed up super early (I expected to wait for awhile)… but the time it took for me to park my car in the C garage, hand off my luggage to the porter, check in, and board was only about 15 minutes. My boarding time was 1:00, and I was sitting eating lunch at the Sahara Buffet by 11:15 am with my carry ons already dropped off in the stateroom. Smooth as silk. 

First Initial Impression: 

Not many words to describe this but amazing. The ship was extremely clean, staff was super helpful and friendly, and the check in process was super organized and easy. 

Food: 

The food was overall very good, I didn’t have any issues with anything but I wasn’t blown away either. Comparing to the other lines I have been on (PCL and NCL) I would rate MSC as close to the best I have had.  The only thing I would say stood out negatively was that the pizza I tried did not match the raving reviews that I read regarding it. I had breakfast delivered to my balcony our morning at sea, and I was less than impressed with that as well. Very small portions, tasted fine though but not a home run. 

Cleanliness: The overall cleanliness on the Magnifica was almost perfection, especially in the common areas. Definitely looks like there is a lot of pride put into this ship. 

Cabin (Junior Balc): Although the size of the room (#9006) was fairly small compared to others I have been in in this category, it was still more than comfortable and cozy for a quick 4 night trip. I LOVED the amount of closet storage provided, as well as in the bathroom the “under sink” storage was actual cabinets and not open shelving which was very nice. 

Entertainment: I felt the entertainment was average compared to other lines. The comedian was good, not great. The main complaint I have with the Royal Theater is the seats seem to be very old, and everyone I sat in seemed to have a downward angle in the seat, it was uncomfortable for me personally. Theater itself is very pretty. 

Disembarkation Process: Just like with embarking, disembarking was just as easy and simple.  You need to be out of the stateroom by 7:30, and you are assigned a meeting point based on either your stateroom number/location or if you have Aurea benefits. My disembarking time was 8:35 in the Royal Theater. As I was walking to the theater at 8:20 to wait with my group, I was told that I can just exit with the group that was leaving at that time. For reference… I got on the elevator at 8:20. I looked at my clock  in my car when I got to the Port Tunnel to get to I-95 and it was 8:50. Picking up the luggage was very organized and orderly. Super impressed. I was home by 9:50! 

I honestly cannot wait to sail MSC again… when I do I will most likely stay with this class of ship as I felt the staff to guest ratio was perfect and navigating the ship was not overwhelming. 

Thanks for the review.  We leave on 4/26 for a 7 night - first time on MSC.  

What experience did you have?  Favorite bar?  How was the pool area?  Pool chair hogs?  Dining room casual?

Glad you had a good time - we are about 2 hours from the port and embark and debark on a Friday.  How was traffic?

1 minute ago, mduffy1834 said:

Thanks for the review.  We leave on 4/26 for a 7 night - first time on MSC.  

What experience did you have?  Favorite bar?  How was the pool area?  Pool chair hogs?  Dining room casual?

Glad you had a good time - we are about 2 hours from the port and embark and debark on a Friday.  How was traffic?

Overall experience was very enjoyable, and super relaxed. The bar I always went to was the Tiger Bar on Deck 6. Very spacious area, and great drinks. 

As far as the pools area, it was somewhat chilly believe it or not this past week so I did not spend too much time out there. It also did not feel like the ship was completely booked either… unless the ship is just that logistically spread out that it didn’t feel crowded lol. 

Traffic today leaving PortMiami was typical stop and go… I live on the border of Deerfield and Boca, and it took about exactly an hour on 95.. maybe 10 mins more than that. 

To quote my note on embarkation… I would plan to get there early just in case you get let on early as well as I was. If for some reason you aren’t able to board early, at least you will be where you need to be in the terminal on time. The traffic did seem to start getting pretty congested as we got off 95 Monday morning. 

I hope you enjoy.. I was pleasantly surprised! 

• 2 weeks later...

I was also on this cruise and my review of the culinary is quite different.    Dinner was good - not great, but good.   Could improve. 

Now the buffet was totally horrible.  The food was industrial, lacked any quality )other than bad), & never changed day to day other than the soup.  The entire buffet has to

be totally overhauled.   For example, the tamales were horrendous.   Breakfast scrambled eggs were runny.  Potatoes were deep

fried.    MSC has to revamp the entire culinary experience.

If you have ever been on Celebrity or Holland - MSC isn’t even in the same hemisphere relative to the quality of the food.    

The food at Ocean Cay was ok- again industrial.  DO NOT buy a lobster roll - you will be severely disappointed.  Burgers were average at best.    We didn’t sample the chicken.   Brownies were good though!

• 3 weeks later...