Paid upgrades from GTY balcony to assigned?

If I pay for a straight upgrade from an inside to a guarantee balcony, can I then pay the higher fare to get an assigned balcony if I don’t like what I was assigned?

or is there a limit on how many times or categories that you can “pay up” on your fare changes?

I think I read that you are on a last minute booking. If so there might not be possible to book anything else than guarantee. A guy on my TA last year didn't like what he got assigned and even though they could move him, if I recall right they wanted quite a high fee to do so.

I would suggest you contact NCL for correct information though and try to get the room you want right away.

Unless you are booking sailaway (which is not very common these days), GTY is GTY. If they were allowing you to choose cabins in that category/location, they would allow it when you book. At this point, it's not a matter of GTY is cheaper - it's about availability.

Prior to final payment, you can pay to upgrade as many times as you want. After final payment, you normally get 1 bite of the apple. And there is no guarantee that your cabin will be assigned early enough for you to upgrade.

I ended up just paying full price… this may be my last NCL cruise with the new prices and cruising environment until and if sanity ever returns to the market…I’m looking forward to seeing the prima but MAN, oh man, NCL really miscalculated the market by going smaller at a really bad time

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

NCL really miscalculated the market by going smaller at a really bad time

Surprising as it may seem, some of us have no desire to cruise with 6000+ other randoms. 3-4000 is already more than enough.

Edited by IAcruising
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

Surprising as it may seem, some of us have no desire to cruise with 6000+ other randoms. 3-4000 is already more than enough.

Sure, but smaller ships is really a no go in today’s market, I’m trying the prima bc I’m loyal and hopefully it’s good.. hoping they drop the race tracks and go bigger after aqua.. this is a travesty man..

16 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

Sure, but smaller ships is really a no go in today’s market,

Those smaller ships can go places those big ships can't even think about - and some ports are starting to limit the # of passengers they will allow, so I'm thinking you've got it all wrong.

But I guess it depends on the demographic - I'm out to see the world by cruise ship, not interested in parties or hiking a mile to get from my cabin just to go to dinner LOL.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, julig22 said:

Those smaller ships can go places those big ships can't even think about - and some ports are starting to limit the # of passengers they will allow, so I'm thinking you've got it all wrong.

But I guess it depends on the demographic - I'm out to see the world by cruise ship, not interested in parties or hiking a mile to get from my cabin just to go to dinner LOL.

LOL Guess so! I’d stay on board the whole time if I didn’t get pressure from travelmates to get off.  For me, ship IS the destination 

• Like 2

Still not sure why you paid to 'upgrade' from a GTY balcony without knowing which cabin you would be in. I've done GTY several times and always got a great cabin...you could possibly have gotten the cabin you just paid for. Or if all of the balcony cabins are full, you might have been upgraded to a Club Balcony. This happened to several of us on the Jade a few years ago. You can't go down a class with a GTY, only up.

And just an FYI, the Aqua is slightly larger than the Prima and Viva and does not have a race track. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marktwothousand said:

For me, ship IS the destination 

I'm certainly with you on this. I love the added choices of more restaurants, bars, entertainment venues, etc. on the big ships. It's just, you know, the mass of humanity that inevitably comes with it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

NCL really miscalculated the market by going smaller at a really bad time

Post-COVID, a lot of cruisers prefer smaller ships and will pay a premium for them. Plus the megaships can’t dock in Alaska, South America and some ports in Europe and Asia, so going smaller has been a pretty smart decision for NCL, since it allows them to charge higher prices but still sail at capacity.

of course, NCL's newest smaller ships are actually still considered megaships at over 3,000 guests. and, even if we assume a smaller ship benefit in docking, it should be noted that neither the prima nor the viva sail through alaska, south america or asia.