Paying tour guides in Italy before the tour?

I was ready to book Gennaro of Sorrento Limo for three tours- Naples, Florence and Rome. He wanted a credit card to confirm the reservation which was OK with me, I could understand the need for that. We communicated several times and he seemed very professional. However, he wants to be paid in cash after the first tour in Naples. That would mean he would have our money (CASH) before we even got to Florence or Rome. This makes me very uncomfortable. What do you think? Is this the way most tour guides are paid? Thanks for any advise you can give.

Kathy

Kathy,

No most tour guides don't expect payment until the end of each tour. I would email or call him back and tell him that you will pay for each tour at the end of the tour. This is a lot of money to be handing over to a virtual stranger before receiving benefit.

1952 - Excalibur (freighter)

1972 - Song of Norway, Caribbean

1980 - Hawaii American Curise line, Tahiti

09/01/2002 - Veendam, Alaska

05/29/2003 - Pacific Princess, Alaska

11/26/2003 - Star Princess, Australia/New Zealand

5/28/2004 - Star Princess, Venice to Barcelona

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;05;28;21;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

11/06/2004 - Diamond Princess, Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;11;06;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

I would pay him for that segment of the tour. Not in advance for other ports. I see no harm in paying as you go- just never before the service is rendered.

Jacqueline

Constellation 3/20/04

HAL Westerdam 7/30/04

Tahitian Princess August 2003

Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003

Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002

Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001

Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001

Grand Princess Med 2000

We are using Gennaro in October. This is a quote from the email he sent me.

"I wish to inform you that your credit card won't be charged,it is only as guarantee of your booking.You will pay cash(US$ or Euro,we prefer this kind of payment) or by T.C.at the end of the services.You can also pay by credit card (VISA or MASTERCARD)with an extra charge of 5% on the total ammount for bank commission."

I'm sure if you email him and tell him you will pay at the end of each tour in Cash or CC whichever you prefer, it should be acceptable.

I asked Gennaro if we could pay him after our tour each day and he said that he wanted to be paid in full in Naples, which is the first day of our tour. I am too uncomfortable doing this and may miss out on a good tour guide because of this. Thanks for your suggestions.

Kathy

I assure you there was no translation problem. I specifically asked him if he expected me to pay him the full amount after our tour of Naples which was our first tour.I pointed out that I would not even see him the next two days as he was arranging other tour guides in Rome and Florence. He was well aware that Naples was our first tour. He responded:

"You will pay the total ammount of 1390Euro (for the three days) at the end of the tour in Naples."

Port Compass was worse. They wanted to be paid now for tours that would take place in August. They have no cancellatio0n policy either except if the ship doesn't make the port.The search is still on for the right tour guides.

Kathy

I have a great suggestion for a guide in Florence, if yours doesn't work out. His name is Alessandro Cammilli & he can be reached at alecamma@hotmail.com. He has posts on Fodors, Frommers, Cruisemates & Cruise critic (just look up his name in the search fields). We have hired him twice in the last two years. He won't expect payment until after your tour with him.

Consider using Daniele and company with www.driverinrome.com. We used them last year, and they were phenomenal! We used them for two ports, and paid them for each tour separately, at the end of the respective tour!

Happy Sailings, and have fun!

Joel & Ron

2004 Alaskan Adventure on the Island Princess departs

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;6;12;7;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

vcsun.gif

Archived