New to Holland...Clothing attire...???

seadancer

We're just back from 2 weeks on the Ryndam in the southern Caribbean and there were 3 formal nights. On our cruise the formal nights were indeed very formal with many tuxedos, wonderful suits, gorgeous gowns and cocktail dresses. Some people chose to not dress up quite so much but were still nicely attired. We didn't see anyone in the dining room who looked out of place. For those women with foot problems (like me and someone else who posted here), I suggest black dressy pants with a sequinned or dressy top and then whatever black colored footwear you require to wear. I figure who's going to look at your feet if you dazzle them with your smile:D .

I tended to just wear the same types of outfits for casual and informal nights - usually cotton skirts of some kind with nice tops, with a jacket or shawl depending on how air conditioned the ship was feeling. It was very cool the first week of the cruise so you always needed some sort of jacket but they had that sorted out by the second week.

If you're going to make a mistake, err on the side of a little dressier than a little too casual. Chances are you'll feel less out of place overdressed than underdressed.

Enjoy the cruise and I wish I was going again.
Cheers,
Pam

[QUOTE]No, I was completely right...A jacket IS acceptable on formal night![/QUOTE]

You were right as far as you went. :)
The point being made was that you were incomplete. While a jacket is acceptable on formal night, JUST a jacket is not.

[quote name='mim100']not wanting to add fuel to any fire BUT...I appreciate ( and expect ) elegance, fine dining, exceptional service, etc... however I am very uncomfortable in dresses ( and the trappings that go with dresses )...several physical problems prevent me from wearing anything but high-end runners, hiking boots, clunky thick-soled flat shoes, etc which just don't work with dresses...I'm not sure how being uncomfortable in clothing will "enhance my dining experience"...and I don't want to forgoe the pleasure of experiencing the dining room on formal nights... I cannot wear this type of clothing but I still enjoy seeing the gorgeous clothing on those who can...I'm new to cruising and yes, I know there are more casual ships out there but I still want the best and that's why I'm booking with HAL...:):)[/quote]

I am a seasoned HAL cruiser as well as lots of other cruise lines and I LOVE HAL I love HAL for their wonderful, classy and downright gorgeous ladies and gentleman. These ladies and gentlemen know what cruising is all about and cruise because of that! I too am severly disabled. At home I am barefoot because it is just too painful to wear shoes. However on a HAL cruise I squeeze these 65 year old crooked and mangled feet into what I call my "cruise shoes". Once a few years ago I forgot dress shoes and had to buy some in St. Thomas,--- I had never spent so much on a pair of shoes and never will again but they go with me on all my cruises. I take them off while we watch the show (it is dark) and get back to the cabin as fast as I can and put them away till the next formal night. So, my cruise shoes get worn about 20 hours a year. Sacrifice for being with those classy people on HAL!! Why not just go to a resort if dressing up is too much of a bother?

Reverend!! I'm blushing! Are you saying that "just" a jacket at dinner may not be appropriate? LOL!!!

Ok, ok, ok, so he should wear pants as well too!!

As far as shoes go, I think a lot of us have feet issues some worse than others, I do however appreciate that someone is making a sincere effort to abide by the dress code set forth by the cruise line. I will wear a pair of black satin pants with a silk shell and a black sequened jacket over it. I do wear a pair of comfortable low heal shoes which are not visually appealing but I can at least walk all night long in them. If someone is paying that much attention to my black ugly shoes then all they need to do is look up! They'll be greeted by my smiling face and if necessary an explanation, so far I haven't need that yet!

[QUOTE]I stand corrected...Jacket, shirt, tie, pants, socks, shoes, etc...[/QUOTE]

You are correct.
As I have said, several times, it is VERY EASY for a guy to be dressed within HAL's code. Tuxedos are GREAT, and I love, own, and wear them on formal nights -- and would love it if all men did -- but they are NOT required for a man to be dressed "within the code."

A man can go on a 7-day HAL cruise with the following and be dressed within the code EVERY evening:

1 Pair of slacks
1 Jacket
2 ties
2 dress shirts
Casual shirts (a few print/silk/polo/button-down shirts)
belt, undies, socks, dress shoes

You could even cut that to 1 dress shirt and just have it laundered by the ship in between formal nights, and 1 tie if you don't think anyone will notice the repeat.

Casual nights: slacks and the casual shirts
Informal night: slacks, casual shirt, jacket
Formal nights: slacks, dress shirt, tie, jacket.

Again, this is how a man can minimally abide by the evening dress code. It doesn't take much effort at all, nor need it take much space in one's luggage. For example ... one can wear the jacket and slacks in transit to the ship, leaving no need to pack them.

In short, many who don't want to "play dress up" will give various and sundry reasons why they shouldn't have to. Either:

"I dress up every day for work, why should I on a cruise?"
or its exact opposite:
"I never have to dress up, and don't even own a jacket or tie, so why should I on a cruise?"
or, as is frequently posted:
"I don't want to have to pack it and lug it to the airport and from the airport to the ship."

But these, and other related statements, are just empty "excuses." In point of fact, it doesn't take much, nor much effort, not much luggage space, and one can be minimally dressed within the HAL code.

[quote name='IDoLoveToCruise']I am a seasoned HAL cruiser as well as lots of other cruise lines and I LOVE HAL I love HAL for their wonderful, classy and downright gorgeous ladies and gentleman. These ladies and gentlemen know what cruising is all about and cruise because of that! I too am severly disabled. At home I am barefoot because it is just too painful to wear shoes. However on a HAL cruise I squeeze these 65 year old crooked and mangled feet into what I call my "cruise shoes". Once a few years ago I forgot dress shoes and had to buy some in St. Thomas,--- I had never spent so much on a pair of shoes and never will again but they go with me on all my cruises. I take them off while we watch the show (it is dark) and get back to the cabin as fast as I can and put them away till the next formal night. So, my cruise shoes get worn about 20 hours a year. Sacrifice for being with those classy people on HAL!! Why not just go to a resort if dressing up is too much of a bother?[/QUOTE]
Note to IDoLoveToCruise...I'm really not sure how to respond to your post...or that I understand what you mean by "sacrifice"...surely you don't mean that I should endure incredible pain and not be able to walk the following day simply to wear shoes that are not appropriate for me? and I certainly did not say that "dressing up is too much of a bother"...just the opposite, I love classy clothes and wish that I could wear them...I respect your experience and many years of cruising and am posting here only to hopefully learn and gain new knowledge for my first cruise ...I am somewhat surprised that you would advise me to go elsewhere for my vacation ...what have I said to garner this response from you? another response to my earlier post from ptoronto suggested I wear dressy slacks which would hide the shoes I must wear...thanks ptoronto - your response seems to be both compassionate and helpful IMHO...

mim100-I think that the other cruiser might just be stating what she does not that this is what you have to do.

I also wear long dressy pants to cover my ugly shoes that most times I must wear in order to be able to walk all night long and then the next morning. It's really not hard to abide by the dress code and still be comfortable and have a great time!

[quote name='DNCButler']mim100-I think that the other cruiser might just be stating what she does not that this is what you have to do.

Correct. I Have had surgery twice on my right foot and neither was successful. However, cruising is the only way I am able to enjoy a vacation and if cruising includes certain dress codes I feel for me it is an obligation to comply, but that is just me!

thanks DNCButler....I was a bit worried there for a while....it's so easy to misread a post and , if I have, my apologes to IDoLoveToCruise....I appreciate all the posters here offering us newbies their wisdom, opinions and lessons learned from their cruises...although I'm starting to cruise later in life than most, I'm looking forward to the experience very much...

[quote name='IDoLoveToCruise']See, I told you they were classy people --- I've seen that smile on several of my HAL cruises. Actually ALL of them.[/quote]

Me, too. Too often, however, it was at the pool area from the backside of someone bending over. Someone who really needs to investigate a diet plan.:D

It's not only on cruises. The other night a guy at a nearby table at Larry's Pizza smiled at us throughout the entire meal.:eek:

[quote name='Stevesan']Me, too. Too often, however, it was at the pool area from the backside of someone bending over. Someone who really needs to investigate a diet plan.:D

It's not only on cruises. The other night a guy at a nearby table at Larry's Pizza smiled at us throughout the entire meal.:eek:[/QUOTE]

UGH! What a mental image!
RevNeal <-- trying to wipe that one out of my mind by rubbing my forehead.

Archived