?'s about Glacier Point Wilderness Safari

psdab

We will be on the NCL Star and have booked this excursion for the end of May. I was wondering if someone could tell me about how long you are on the catamaran and how long in the canoes? Also, any feedback on how you liked this excursion would be appreciated.

catamaran - speed ~45 knots, distance from Skagway to Glacier Point ~33 nautical miles. We slowed down a few times so our guide could point things out along the way. Guides were the best! Jeff (our main guide) explained sooooooooooo much about Alaska and glaciers on the way to Glacier Point. Tons of knowledge and very good at explaining things.

Beach landing at Glacier Point and a short bus ride (modified 4x4 school bus) through the forest - once again with plenty of explanation along the way.

Out house (or behind a tree) break, hand out boots, life jackets, rain gear (if needed) and extra jackets (~20 degrees cooler near the glacier) and a short hike (.25 miles) to Davidson River. Canoe safety instructions, divide up into groups and you're off.

Davidson Glacier is farther away than it looks. I bet it took us 30-45 mins to paddle/small outboard motor to the glacier. Again, much explanation along the way. Guide picked up a piece of the glacier that was floating by and passed around the canoe. Water temp ~36 degrees. Got with 100 yards of the face of the glacier.

It was fantastic. We've been to Alaska twice, this was with no reservation, the the highlight of our Alaska experience!

Well worth the $$$.

Will do it again the next time we go!

Also - great lunch on trip back, saw some wildlife and a short stop in Haines.

Total time about 5 hours.

• 1 month later...

Just curious about the physical activity level. Hubby and I are in average shape, but I have a bad elbow that allows limited use. Would we be okay on this excursion? I'm especially thinking about the canoeing part.

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE INFORMATION. We are very excited and can't wait now.

We booked this too,we are on the STAR on June 4th.I can't wait for this excursion.I wasn't sure about this either.Thanks for the info.I'm also doing the kayaking in Juneau.My husband and friend is doing the Zip Line not me!:D

Just to put your minds at ease, the paddling was very easy. Some folks didn't paddle at all and others were experienced rowers. There is a motor on the canoe in case the guide wants to take over and you just want to take some pictures. It's a leisurely pace. Believe me, I don't have the strength to open a pickle jar, and I had no trouble at all on this excursion. Go-- you'll love it!

Just another vote for this excursion. I did this in 2003 and it was definitely the highlight of the trip. I'm going back with a group of 16 this summer and I think most of the group will end up signing up for the Glacier Point trip. I can't recommend it enough!

Archived