Memorial day weekend (Sunday) - North shore or Pearl harbor?

DCwom

Post cruise we're staying in Waikiki for a few days, its Memorial day weekend. We've got plans nailed down for all but Sunday and its a choice of whats less painful. We can rent a car and drive the south/north shore or do Pearl harbor, what we don't do on Sunday we will do on Tuesday which ought to be less busy. My 1st thought was get out of Waikiki on Sunday, but maybe a bus ride to Pearl and spending the day there would be better than driving the single lane road up the coast.

Thoughts?

When I go to Pearl Harbor I am usually going just to visit the USS Arizona Memorial. I've never spent a whole day there.

If you've never done an island circle tour, that might be my pick with an early visit to the USS Arizona Memorial.

48 minutes ago, KeepCalmBearOn said:

When I go to Pearl Harbor I am usually going just to visit the USS Arizona Memorial. I've never spent a whole day there.

If you've never done an island circle tour, that might be my pick with an early visit to the USS Arizona Memorial.

We are dedicating a day to drive the whole island in a rental car, so a 1/2 or more at Pearl is ok. The Missouri is a must, since I've seen the New Jersey & Wisconsin, someday I'll make it to LA for the Iowa.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DCwom said:

Post cruise we're staying in Waikiki for a few days, its Memorial day weekend. We've got plans nailed down for all but Sunday and its a choice of whats less painful. We can rent a car and drive the south/north shore or do Pearl harbor, what we don't do on Sunday we will do on Tuesday which ought to be less busy. My 1st thought was get out of Waikiki on Sunday, but maybe a bus ride to Pearl and spending the day there would be better than driving the single lane road up the coast.

Thoughts?

You may also want to visit the Punchbowl - National Cemetery of the Pacific. We visited the day after Memorial Day and it was quite moving. All of the markers have flags and there are impressive mosaics of the battles of the Pacific on the back walls. It’s a very impressive and meaningful site.

• Like 2

If you drive to the North Shore on Memorial Day weekend (any day) you will sit in traffic for hours. Better to visit the Arizona Memorial and the Missouri because there may be special displays and events for the holiday weekend. Get an early start, pack a little cooler with drinks and take the rest of the day to drive to the west side, that’s Waiʻanae, Nānākuli, Makaha, Pokaʻi Bay, on to the end the road at Yokohama Bay.

The farther you get from the city, the more locals you will see. Please be respectful of the land and the people. Many locals think tourists are arrogant and entitled.

• Like 1