K407 Arvia my thoughts so far

We are on this cruise, our second cruise on Arvia. We did exactly the same Easter cruise last year in the same superior deluxe cabin at the rear of the ship. These are my observations on this years cruise comparing them to last years cruise. We have to travel during school holidays as our daughter is a primary school teacher and we take and pick up her children to and from school and also look after her red fox Labrador puppy ( the pup is a lot more hard work than the kids are). 
As I said before these are our observations, so don’t shoot the messenger.

Ship very busy again. 6200 passengers with 1200 children onboard. To be fair the children are well behaved. 
Last year the Keel and Cow was open for food all day, we used to go for breakfast most mornings and sometimes lunch as well. This year even though it says all day dining it’s only open from 5.30 pm. Same for the glasshouse, asked why the reply was the ship is full! Well it was full last year and was open. There are only 2 outlets open in the quays which means less choice.  6th street diner is almost impossible to get in at any time. 

We went to Epicurean for the celebration night which we pre booked , it was ok husband had the smallest scallops ever and filet steak with 3 chunky chips, 1 stem of tenderstem broccoli and 2 leaves of spinach. He had a filet steak the night before in the Keel and Cow and he said that was much better. I had rack of lamb which consisted of 2 lamb cutlets and an inedible lamb belly with 2 tiny potatoes and the same tenderstem broccoli and  spinach. The couple who sat next to us also had the scallops and he said that he was on Arvia in October and these were half the size as they were back then. .

The staff in there were as always superb.  

Overall there is not enough choice for food options and cutbacks in portion sizes and quality is now very noticeable in the included dining venues. 

we have been loyal P&O customers for the last 15 years but I think now might be time to jump ship as the prices for the smaller ships are getting very expensive.  We are looking at a cruise to Iceland and the difference between the saver and the select fare is £1000 to choose the cabin, you do get £500 obc but it’s still your money being paid out. 

Love the modern ship and the room we have is fabulous, two of the waiters in the glasshouse recognised us and  came over to say hello which was lovely.   But they are the only staff that we recognise from all the other ships that we’ve been on.  

Would we cruise on Arvia again , no I don’t think so. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

We are also likely to be jumping ship as for us P&0 has become far too watered down and the last couple of cruises with them has been only about adequate overall. We are finding that even the extras you pay for are becoming less value. We have one paid for this summer with family on Arvia…..But despite my criticisms of them - and praise where it has been due - I always board with a very positive mind, so fair play if they win me back over: I am giving them every chance to - and I really hope they do. 

Granted, other cruise companies have also made cuts and changes, but for us some of those in a simpler price bracket we have also done have offered better value and a better experience. Again, this is just how we feel: I appreciate how subjective it all is.

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, thornegirl said:

To be fair the children are well behaved. 

Currently on the ship too

Kids have been very well behaved. The Captain on the first day asked everyone to be respectful, keep an eye on your kids and said they won’t put up with any abuse to other passengers or staff. I’m paraphrasing, he said it in a much nicer way but that was the gist

ive never had that speech before from a captain. Not to this extent. Yes OK it’s a shame it needs to be said, but fair play to the captain. I like to think it makes people think twice

• Like 5