First time on PG!

@JinxyB Unfortunately the dive schedule did not upload properly, so if you could repost when you can that would be great. I'm glad you had a great time, and safe travels home 🙂

• Like 2

Just now, Tom Sandra said:

@JinxyB Thank you so much for all of your live posting and very helpful info!! So glad you enjoyed your cruise! Safe traves home!

PG still won't confirm the July 6 itinerary...we're 2 weeks to sailing and I'm regretting the private excursions we set up.

Which itinerary are you doing again?

2 hours ago, K8-Canada said:

@BeechMan I believe your family is certified...I see there are certified dives (second column) in most ports (some are advanced certification only - which we are not). 

There are a lot more dives available on this posting for certified, rather than restricted to advanced, divers. My wife and daughter are open water, and I’m advanced. So I’m really glad to see more opportunities for our family!

6 hours ago, BeechMan said:

There are a lot more dives available on this posting for certified, rather than restricted to advanced, divers. My wife and daughter are open water, and I’m advanced. So I’m really glad to see more opportunities for our family!

@BeechMan I agree - the diving options for open water certified look good. If there is anything different during your cruise, I would love to know as we are on the August cruise. In case you are interested, in Nuku Hiva there is a dive shop that I found in the Lonely Planet guide. PG only has advanced dives offered in this location. The diveshop is called Nuku Dive and when I emailed they responded right away with options for easier dives (nukuhivadiving@gmail.com)

2 hours ago, K8-Canada said:

In case you are interested, in Nuku Hiva there is a dive shop that I found in the Lonely Planet guide. PG only has advanced dives offered in this location. The diveshop is called Nuku Dive and when I emailed they responded right away with options for easier dives (nukuhivadiving@gmail.com)

Thanks for the word!  I'll let you know if our sailing has any chances - but ping me if I forget.

@JinxyB Thank you so much! I will look closer at the shore excursion offerings! Any feedback on those in the Marquesas?

You asked with itinerary we're on:  We are on the July 6th sailing (same with Beechman). PG still will not give a confirmed itinerary, and I hesitate to assume it is your itinerary because one PG phone rep looked at the itinerary posted online (the June and Aug 3 itinerary) and said that itinerary has only been confirmed for those 2 dates and it is incorrect for July 6 (yet she refused to even verbally tell me the July 6 itinerary). I've now given up two of my private tours and holding out for our third one...

Regardless, I'm thankful for the excursion info -- and ALL info -- you have shared! I echo K8 that you have provided way more (and better) info for all of us! Thank you!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tom Sandra said:

@JinxyB Thank you so much! I will look closer at the shore excursion offerings! Any feedback on those in the Marquesas?

You asked with itinerary we're on:  We are on the July 6th sailing (same with Beechman). PG still will not give a confirmed itinerary, and I hesitate to assume it is your itinerary because one PG phone rep looked at the itinerary posted online (the June and Aug 3 itinerary) and said that itinerary has only been confirmed for those 2 dates and it is incorrect for July 6 (yet she refused to even verbally tell me the July 6 itinerary). I've now given up two of my private tours and holding out for our third one...

Regardless, I'm thankful for the excursion info -- and ALL info -- you have shared! I echo K8 that you have provided way more (and better) info for all of us! Thank you!

That’s unfortunate that PG will not confirm your itinerary. They should know it by now- one would think. Regarding the Marquesas- we booked the scenic drive to Hanavave in Fatu Hiva and was underwhelmed. The excursion was supposed to be 3:30 hours and we were only on the excursion 2 hours. Other trucks on the excursion had a stop for refreshments and commentary, but we did not.We actually complained onboard and the staff looked at us like we were crazy. I won’t go into it, but this was a disappointing part of the cruise (dealing with flippant front desk staff-we also had problems in our room with our A/C not functioning and they were quite rude and dismissive).

The first two islands in the Marquesas we did on our own. The infrastructure is quite nonexistent on these islands and there isn’t much to do on your own. We saw a craft market and local show in Tahuata. Tendering was crazy here- never seen anything like it. Very big swell and having to leap onto tender. Many frail and elderly with walkers and canes doing this, which was scary. Hiva Oa we went to museum and craft market. If you dive, I would recommend doing it in these ports, because you won’t be missing much on land.

Uo Poa was great in that we did our own hike to the waterfall and did not pay to do so on an excursion. It was beautiful and a pretty easy hike.

Nuka Hiva we saw the cathedral, tiki, and beach. Did not do excursion here. Hope that helps!

Oh, I did send out some laundry and was pleased with the service FYI. It isn’t cheap lol 

Edited by JinxyB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@JinxyB Thank you so much, yet again!! Really appreciate your excursion feedback and have made note!! Thank you for following up on my laundry question from earlier, too! We are returning guests so we 5 items pp complimentary; I'll probably just handwash my swimwear like last time; easier.

What a scary tender experience! The tender in Rarotonga was like that for us...someone even got sick on the tender before it even left shipside. However, the Cook Islands were by far & away our favorite places!!

• Like 1

I'm overthinking but...do you think it's possible for the diving to be booked up if I'm not onboard early enough? I have the PG transfer booked from the Intercontinental to the ship, but will I be too late to sign up for diving? We are limited in which dives we can do because of our certifications. As others have mentioned, I could always take a cab instead... Thoughts?

8 hours ago, Tom Sandra said:

@JinxyB Thank you so much, yet again!! Really appreciate your excursion feedback and have made note!! Thank you for following up on my laundry question from earlier, too! We are returning guests so we 5 items pp complimentary; I'll probably just handwash my swimwear like last time; easier.

What a scary tender experience! The tender in Rarotonga was like that for us...someone even got sick on the tender before it even left shipside. However, the Cook Islands were by far & away our favorite places!!

We had that kind or worse one year in Cook Islands, it was so bad it ripped the tether from the ship took hours to fix.

Still my favourite place.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, K8-Canada said:

I'm overthinking but...do you think it's possible for the diving to be booked up if I'm not onboard early enough? I have the PG transfer booked from the Intercontinental to the ship, but will I be too late to sign up for diving? We are limited in which dives we can do because of our certifications. As others have mentioned, I could always take a cab instead... Thoughts?

Since you're not on my sailing, I say get there as early as possible! 😉  Honestly, I don't have any sense for how fast the dives fill up, but I would think that divers with advanced certifications would tend to gravitate toward dives that require it.  At least that's where my mind goes.  I have also heard that the two-week itineraries tend to lean ... geriatric, which, again I am guessing, might put less pressure on the scuba program.  Our plan when we get on board is to park half the family in line for dinner reservations and half in the scuba line.  I've heard the scuba line moves slowly because people have lots of questions.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BeechMan said:

Since you're not on my sailing, I say get there as early as possible! 😉  Honestly, I don't have any sense for how fast the dives fill up, but I would think that divers with advanced certifications would tend to gravitate toward dives that require it.  At least that's where my mind goes.  I have also heard that the two-week itineraries tend to lean ... geriatric, which, again I am guessing, might put less pressure on the scuba program.  Our plan when we get on board is to park half the family in line for dinner reservations and half in the scuba line.  I've heard the scuba line moves slowly because people have lots of questions.

Hee, hee, hee! You will have to send me an update on how your onboarding goes!

On 5/30/2024 at 12:01 PM, K8-Canada said:

@Tom Sandra @JinxyB We are booked on the same itinerary in August 🙂

I would love an update after your cruises! My two main questions are:

1. What did you do in the Marquesas (day 4-9)? If you did excursions, how were they?

2. In which ports (particularly in Marquesas ports) was the watersports marina (back of boat) open for kayaking, etc?

Have an amazing cruise!

Hi @K8-Canada! When I spoke with a PG rep yesterday, she said they will NOT open the watersports marina while in the Marquesas because it's not PG's "home waters;" there aren't lagoons there, so the water is rougher and colder. She said it might be open in the final ports, but no guarantee.

This is correct as far as marina platform for non diving activities. Only SUP and kayaks now. Used to do waterskiing but boats could not go fast enough in the protected lagoons. Also windsurfers but no longer; several instances of having to fetch some who went far away from the ship. Recommend doing either paddle board or kayak on Borabora motu; heaven on earth