Hideaway Beach impressions

we were there 3/18.  Wonder was the only ship in port.  Lots of kids on this cruise.  We got off the ship aorund 9:30/45.  Took the tram from just inside the coco cay entrance, pretty quick and easy. By the time we got to the pool, all of the loungers right around the pool were taken.  My original plan was to try and get loungers on the far end away from the dj to limit the noise while laying out, but there aren't many loungers at the far end of the pool.  It was full but not packed.  We easily found two loungers on the beach near the stairs to the pool area.  Around 12:30/1 we were walking somewhere and my wife remarked how great it would be to get one of the beds that are in the water, and wouldn't you know it, the next bed we walked by was empty, so we grabbed it for the rest of the day.  They are very nice.  The umbrella that is attached to them rotates 360 so you can have as much shade or sun as you want. 

The cabanas around the main pool had names in every one, but they were hardly used.  I know I saw a couple that were never used the entire time we were there.  I don't know if they put names in the unsold ones to make it seem like they are sold out or what, but if I paid what those cost I would be in there alot of the day.  We didn't walk down to the other ones and look at them.

We didn't get in the ocean, but the beach area is very nice, lots of loungers, tables in between a lot of them, alot of umbrellas if thats what you need.  Did see someone get yelled at by the lifeguards as he snorkeled past the end line and kind of into the channel that feeds the lagoon.  

They say the pool is heated,  I found it to be the perfect temp.  Not too warm, but not too cold.  Very nice to relax in,  Outdoor temp was around 80-83 I think the day we were there with sunny skies.

Getting drinks from the swim up bar was really easy, never more than 2nd in line.  If you want a beer/truly/ or soda, there was a chest of them on the beach near the stairs.  Having a drink at the pool wall looking over the ocean is really nice.  It was probably more of a party near the dj but we stayed further away and it was really nice.. At one point one of the dancers was spraying champagne into peoples mouths, and drawing a crowd.  Music was loud near the dj but not blasting.  I found it to be easy to listen to in the background.

I had the chicken sandwich and my wife had the coconut shrimp, we thought both were good.  I think the sandwich I had was a special one for hideaway, but I don't remember why.  

we loved it.  Not sure how much we would pay for it on our next cruise, but I think $30pp is where we might start to question, we managed to get it for 19.99pp on a sale and would pay that in a heart beat.  My wife is going on Allure at the end of May and the price has dropped from $40 about a month ago to lately being in the 20-25 range. She's not going because her mom doesn't want to and the trip is about spending time with her.

Ask me any questions you might have and I'll try to answer,

Dan

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, danoconnl said:

The cabanas around the main pool had names in every one, but they were hardly used.  I know I saw a couple that were never used the entire time we were there.  I don't know if they put names in the unsold ones to make it seem like they are sold out or what, but if I paid what those cost I would be in there alot of the day.  We didn't walk down to the other ones and look at them.

Yes, they put names on every cabana that is not booked. That's what our cabana attendant told us when he said we could take an extra floating mat from a cabana behind us (there was a name on it). Makes sense. You don't want anyone to be a squatter. 🙂 

BTW, this was when we booked one for $500. With today's prices, forget it.

A little off topic but is Hideaway Beach bookings only available on certain ships? Some of our future bookings include CocoCay but have no mention of Hideaway Beach. Maybe they haven't been posted yet?

I have limited mobility and use a wheelchair for distance.  Is the hideaway paved in most areas?  I am traveling with family that will be able to assist me.  How far is it from the end of pavement to the ocean?

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, IslandFamilyTime said:

I have limited mobility and use a wheelchair for distance.  Is the hideaway paved in most areas?  I am traveling with family that will be able to assist me.  How far is it from the end of pavement to the ocean?

Thanks!

There is pavement in the area,  you should be able to have access to the restrooms,  dining facilities, and the pool.  I was just there on 5/25 so my memory is fresh. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IslandFamilyTime said:

Thanks!

There is pavement all the way from the tram stop to the pool and each eating area.  I believe I saw a cart with a wheel chair taking someone back to the ship, but I'm not positive on that.  From the end of the pavement to the ocean you would need to go down about 10 steps and then it would be about 20-30 yards I would guess to get to the ocean.  It might be closer on the far end past the pizza place.

Dan

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SilkySal said:

A little off topic but is Hideaway Beach bookings only available on certain ships? Some of our future bookings include CocoCay but have no mention of Hideaway Beach. Maybe they haven't been posted yet?

Make sure you check on Royal’s app. I did not see any excursions on the website but they were all listed on the app, including Hideaway

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, danoconnl said:

we were there 3/18.  Wonder was the only ship in port.  Lots of kids on this cruise.  We got off the ship aorund 9:30/45.  Took the tram from just inside the coco cay entrance, pretty quick and easy. By the time we got to the pool, all of the loungers right around the pool were taken.  My original plan was to try and get loungers on the far end away from the dj to limit the noise while laying out, but there aren't many loungers at the far end of the pool.  It was full but not packed.  We easily found two loungers on the beach near the stairs to the pool area.  Around 12:30/1 we were walking somewhere and my wife remarked how great it would be to get one of the beds that are in the water, and wouldn't you know it, the next bed we walked by was empty, so we grabbed it for the rest of the day.  They are very nice.  The umbrella that is attached to them rotates 360 so you can have as much shade or sun as you want. 

We didn't get in the ocean, but the beach area is very nice, lots of loungers, tables in between a lot of them, alot of umbrellas if thats what you need.  Did see someone get yelled at by the lifeguards as he snorkeled past the end line and kind of into the channel that feeds the lagoon.  

They say the pool is heated,  I found it to be the perfect temp.  Not too warm, but not too cold.  Very nice to relax in,  Outdoor temp was around 80-83 I think the day we were there with sunny skies.

Getting drinks from the swim up bar was really easy, never more than 2nd in line.  If you want a beer/truly/ or soda, there was a chest of them on the beach near the stairs.  Having a drink at the pool wall looking over the ocean is really nice.  It was probably more of a party near the dj but we stayed further away and it was really nice.. At one point one of the dancers was spraying champagne into peoples mouths, and drawing a crowd.  Music was loud near the dj but not blasting.  I found it to be easy to listen to in the background.

I had the chicken sandwich and my wife had the coconut shrimp, we thought both were good.  I think the sandwich I had was a special one for hideaway, but I don't remember why.  

we loved it.  Not sure how much we would pay for it on our next cruise, but I think $30pp is where we might start to question, we managed to get it for 19.99pp on a sale and would pay that in a heart beat.  My wife is going on Allure at the end of May and the price has dropped from $40 about a month ago to lately being in the 20-25 range. She's not going because her mom doesn't want to and the trip is about spending time with her.

Dan

We were also there Mon 3/18 off the Wonder….and had a bed in the water the entire day! Wish we would have met!  We mainly stayed in the Infinity pool, and we also thought the water was perfect! We really enjoyed our day there. The pass was only $19.99 so we figured this was our chance to check it out for ourselves. So glad we did!  If prices comedown on our upcoming cruises we will do it again, but right now it is still showing $64.99.  Hoping prices drop down as we get closer.   

13 hours ago, danoconnl said:

Dan

Thanks for the review! We're doing a B2B on Utopia in September and considering doing Hideaway for 1 of our CoCoCay stops.  Your description of sipping a drink from the swim-up bar at the pool wall overlooking the ocean...has about pushed me over the edge.  Hopefully the prices drop. Currently at $45 for the 3 day and $75 for the 4 day. 

17 hours ago, triplemom3 said:

Make sure you check on Royal’s app. I did not see any excursions on the website but they were all listed on the app, including Hideaway

Just checked my future cruises through the app. The first one to CocoCay isn't until January 4, 2025 and the rest are months afterwards and none of them are showing Hideaway, so I guess these cruises are still too far out to display Hideaway. Will recheck from time to time. Thanks again for the suggestion.

14 hours ago, sandym718 said:

Thanks for the review! We're doing a B2B on Utopia in September and considering doing Hideaway for 1 of our CoCoCay stops.  Your description of sipping a drink from the swim-up bar at the pool wall overlooking the ocean...has about pushed me over the edge.  Hopefully the prices drop. Currently at $45 for the 3 day and $75 for the 4 day. 

$25 would be my limit - also check how many ships are in port - if two ships it gets oversold and very busy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stick93 said:

$25 would be my limit - also check how many ships are in port - if two ships it gets oversold and very busy. 

I agree.  There will be 4 of us, so a flat $100 seems like a fair amount to check it out.  Just checked and on the 3 day, we are currently the only ship scheduled to be there.  So maybe that $45 will drop a bit.