Taxi in Ketchikan

dleeg5199

How easy is it to find a taxi back to Ward Cove from Ketchikan?  We are looking at going to George Inlet Lodge and would be returning to town at 11:45 am.  Is an hour enough time to find a taxi and be back to the ship by 12:45 pm?

44 minutes ago, dleeg5199 said:

How easy is it to find a taxi back to Ward Cove from Ketchikan?

It is usually only NCL which docks out of town at Ward Cove and my understanding is that they run shuttle buses, and there should also be a public bus which together with a taxi, would give you three options to return.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

It is usually only NCL which docks out of town at Ward Cove and my understanding is that they run shuttle buses, and there should also be a public bus which together with a taxi, would give you three options to return.

I wouldn’t rely on the bus. It only runs once an hour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolfie11 said:

I wouldn’t rely on the bus. It only runs once an hour.

If the timing is right, it could work, and only costs $2 per person. (Though it may gone up in the past 5 years since we used it.)  It was a very interesting experience!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dleeg5199 said:

How easy is it to find a taxi back to Ward Cove from Ketchikan?  We are looking at going to George Inlet Lodge and would be returning to town at 11:45 am.  Is an hour enough time to find a taxi and be back to the ship by 12:45 pm?

Just keep in mind that Ketchikan is a very small town and there are not a plethora of taxis. Also, their priority when the cruise ships are in town is not short runs, but taking people on full tours, so will often be very booked up with tour groups on port days. You may find yourself looking for a needle in a haystack at a very busy time when you and all the other passengers trying to get back to Ward Cove via other means then the NCL shuttle are all competing for a ride.

• Like 1

What may work is if you take a taxi in the morning and ask for your driver's number to call when you need to return back, it might work, but of course also depends on how many other ships are in port that day. You could also take the public bus which lets off across the highway but it is a bit of a walk downhill to the dock, so depends on your mobility.

I know that the owner at tlingittours at gmail dot com has a sister who is a taxi driver, if you want to email them maybe?