Tip or not to tip porters at pier?

Funny this topic should come up...

My parents recently took a 5-day cruise on Carnival out of Miami. One of their two bags didn't make it on the ship. It was later found in another terminal and shipped to their home a week after they returned. While going through all of the necessary "procedures" with the Carnival, a cruise line represntative asked them how much they tipped the porter. When my dad said that he gave the porter $3.00 for two bags, the representative replied that that was why the bag didn't make it. IE the porter felt he was getting stiffed, and sent the bag to another terminal. Interesting that this information came directly from a cruise line employee.

PAul&Michelle

We always tip the porter when going on and the ship and definitely when coming off. It sure speeds things up going thru customs if you have a porter taking your luggage. We used to tip $1 a bag but now do $5 for 2 bags. On the way off we might put carryons on the cart too. Still same tip. I can't imagine not tipping the porter.

My mom and I were on the Sovereign in December. We took a van from the Orlando airport to the pier at Port Canaveral. There were 10 of us in that van. When we arrived, all the bags were placed in one spot for the porter. He had no way of knowing which bags belonged to what people. Some people just walked away without tipping him, but I don't think there was any way he could have known who. Maybe I'm naive, but I just can't imagine that someone would intentionally send luggage to the wrong pier. :confused:

The Porter flat out said, "You all take care of me now". We had every intention of tipping him, but being told to do so was a real turn off.

of course the porters are tipped. our experience at the pier in miami was so abominable that we will never cruise from there again, so I am not surprised you found a turn off from the people on the ground there.

my true wish is that the experience we have with disney's organization and management of their terminal at port canaveral could be combined with the spectacular radiance class ships (havent gone on the mariner--yet--to sample the voyager class, but the radiance is gorgeous).

took a couple trips with my father, who was a corporate executive and traveled a lot on business, when i was in high school, and paid attention to such things as tipping the skycaps, conduct in the admirals club (he flew american), and picked up some insights on how to travel, tip, etc.

i will say that when i have to lug my bags from the cab to the curb, and track down a porter while keeping an eye on things the tip is more like a buck a bag, or maybe $5 for 3, compared to when i get a vetaran who steps up,knows what he is doing, asks me if i need a porter (compared to grabbing a bag first), then does all the baggage handling, checks docs to match w/ the bags, makes me feel confident that the bags are in good care, and takes a moment to give me a direction or two about where I go next and what i will need to show...that guy is getting $2 or $3 a bag, at least a 5 for 2 bags.

We come from England and usually have about 6 suitcases and 2 children so we tip absolutely everyone who handles our luggage or provides any type of service. The porter at miami was extremely curteous and handled all our luggage - no problem. When we got to miami airport a porter met us at the bus and promptly took us over to the dollar car rental desk which we would have had difficulty finding so he got a good tip. Even the dollar shuttle bus driver we gave a tip to and he then proceed to help us with our luggage. The way we look at it is that we spend thousands of pounds to go on this cruise so a few extra dollars to make our life easier is definitely worth it.

Here's the way I see it...mind you this is just my own opinion..not trying to change anyone else's :-)

I can't see how a porter, helping hundreds of people with their baggage, can personnally guarantee luggage being given special treatment because I gave him a couple extra bucks. MAYBE if I were the only one that gave him a nice tip AND he walked my bags over to the loading area and put the bags on the conveyor belt itself AND went on board ship, looked for my luggage amongst thousands of pieces and hand delivered it to my room. That amount of effort, combined with the fact that I wouldn't be the only one giving a good tip, makes the logistics of the thing dang near impossible :-)

When I tip a porter, I'm tipping him for the service he provides when he makes sure my luggage is tagged, and by loading it onto the luggage rack. That's it. If he were providing a higher level of service, he would be tipped more. In respect to Logan's post above, yes it certainly does add a higher level of service when the porter takes the time to do more than the 'basics'.

To bring this back to the original question posted, YES, tip your porter. It's good practice and just plain good etiquette.

Cindy

We always go to the bank before a trip and get a stack of 100 singles... keep around 20 in pocket or passport wallet for easily access so that tipping is never a issue. We ALWAYS tip and always have incredible service... it's just part of your vacation expenses - figure it into the budget!

Put yourself in the place of the porter, waiter, etc. A few kind words and extra dollars can make a person's day...

I think that most of us tip porters. It's what I was taught as a child and I continue. As someone else here said, the porters also acknowledge a smile and a few kind words. It never hurts to brighten someones day, especially one that is helping you.

Rick

We have always tipped the porters at the pier. It is the right thing to do. Besides the fact that I believe it helps the service. In addition, this is part of their income.

The porters at the pier are NOT cruiseline employees. They are employed by the Port Authority of that city.

These guys put your luggage onto the carts that are taken to the ship. The cruiseline employees then take the luggage to passenger cabins.

It's customary to tip the porters $1 per piece of luggage. If I have three bags, I tip $5, just as I do at a hotel.

(I have no idea why those signs said no tipping...?) I've never seen that anywhere. Bet it doesn't make the porters happy.

I have never seen "no-tipping" signs but I'd try to tip anyway. It is the accepted practice to tip at least $1.00 per bag if not more. These employees reply mostly on tips to feed their families. If we can't afford to tip the appropriate staff who provide services for us on a vacation, don't go!!

I read in another thread, not to tip the porters at the pier. 2 years ago they were very good helping us with the luggage, we gave them a couple of dollars for each bag that they handled.

Should I have no tipped them?

we always tip the porters...definitely. they have to haul a ton of our luggage, so worth for me to tip him so I don't have to carry.

Archived