Norwegian and Lithium ion batteries

I have a wheelchair that uses Lithium Ion batteries like many scooters. How many people have gone on Norwegian with a lithium ion battery scooter or wheelchair?. I go on airlines. I need this to get around. I can not walk. Do they check at security? I’m really worried. I’ve already booked most of the trip and will be out lots of money if I cancel now. I just found out about this rule. 

I called Norwegian today April 12,2024 and they said “ if it’s FAA compliant then it can go on the ship”.So since I can take it on the plane, I can take it on the ship. 

Replying to my own post: 

I called Norwegian today April 12,2024 and they said “ if it’s FAA compliant then it can go on the ship”.So since I can take it on the plane, I can take it on the ship. Hope this helps someone else. They should put that on the website.

• Like 1

This from the FAA site 

Electric wheelchair, mobility scooter

In cases when the batteries are adequately protected, it is preferable that they remain installed in the mobility aid; however, there may be situations when that is not possible or safe to do so and in these cases the batteries must be removed. This description is for a wheelchair or mobility device that does not have a protective housing for its lithium ion battery, i.e., the mobility aid does not provide adequate protection to the battery. Lithium ion battery size is limited to 300 watt hours (Wh). One spare battery not exceeding 300 Wh or two spare batteries not exceeding 160 Wh each may be carried in carry-on baggage.

I get the feeling if you needed to you could have 2x200 Wh batteries that you connected together as long as no one person passed both thru  security or whatever at the same time 🙂

• Like 1