Safety of Carnival Shore Excursions

odiesam

In light of the recent Celebrity shore excursion tragedy, I decided all shore excursions for our June Carnival cruise would be booked directly through Carnival. But looking closer at the Carnival brochure - it specifically states that Carnival does NOT take any responsibility for the excursions sold through them as they are all independent operators. Yet on the Carnival website, it states that Carnival uses all reputable operators. What exactly does that mean? I want to have some feeling of comfort that Carnival has investigated the safety record of the operators they offer excursions through. (i.e. driving records etc.) Otherwise what is the point of booking an excursion through Carnival other than the fact that they will wait for you when returning?

I am concerned that because any possible accidents that would occur would be outside the US and as all these cruise ships are flagged non-US, that Carnival and the other lines don't give this issue much attention.

Maybe I am over-reacting but I naive-ly thought the cruiselines would have given a close look to the excursion operators they offer.

Are you asking if that accident could have happened on a ship sponsored tour? Absolutely!! Are you guaranteed safety on a ship sponsored tour, no... that is why that clause is there. Accidents happen, and many times, regardless of what you do, they can't be prevented. Sure, they look at the operators, but that is no guarantee... how do they know they are hiring reputable people? There have been ship sponsored tours that have gone wrong too... it happens. You are not guaranteed safety, regardless. Also, keep in mind, that the ship sponsored tours tend to sell out quickly, so book online as soon as you can, otherwise you won't have a choice but to book a 3rd party vendor. Also, check out the ports of call boards... hundreds upons hundreds of vendors are used by CC members all the time, quite often... you can do a little research and make your own decision.

But a bus accident such as that one, could have happened regardless... it was a tragedy, but could have happened on any tour :(

Carnival can pretend they have no liability, but they do, and so do their insurance companies.

My experience with Carnival excursions is that they can be a little anal about safety (as in overkill), so they probably have some guidelines they have to follow.

Carnival can pretend they have no liability, but they do, and so do their insurance companies.

My experience with Carnival excursions is that they can be a little anal about safety (as in overkill), so they probably have some guidelines they have to follow.

You mean like participants at sting ray city being required to wear life vests in three feet of water? ;)

Carnival is very safety conscience. Every shore day the following is printed in the Capers:

Mopeds, Jet Skis and Parasailing

These are dangerouse activities and we advise you not to use them.

Depending on your level of cynicism you can decide if they do this stuff out of concern for passanger safety or to protect the company.

All I would read into a ship-sponsored tour recommendation is that at somewhere along the line the cruise verified that the tour operator had the appropriate licenses and was insured. After that, you're probably on your own.

Cruise lines take the same attitude in helping to arrange shore excursions as they do when they help arrange air flights to the pier through their air department -- if the plane crashes they'll express their sympathy but they won't take any financial responsibility.

If Carnival says they use reputable operators but they take very little responsibility in the event of an accident, it seems to me that it really doesn't matter if you book through the cruiseline or with a highly recommended independent that is not affiliated with the cruiseline.

Carnival says that if you book a tour through them, they will wait for you in most cases should the tour have problems returning to port on time. On the other hand, any tour operator working independently will make every effort to also return you to the ship on time if they want to stay in business.

If you are considering booking with an independent, check the Ports of Call forum and see what others have to say about that independent. I have had fun excursions with independents who come highly recommended by other cruisers as well as on excursions booked through the ship. The only thing that I have found different other than price, is that the ship sponsored excursions are usually packed while the independents have smaller, more comfortable groups.

...no matter WHAT others who go out on their own in a foreign country say...if Carnival recommends and SELLS excursion tickets...they can be held legally responsible in court if God forbid, a severe accident occurs.

The cruiseline can print whatever they'd like about "not responsible"...as a huge company on the NYSE, Carnival can be and is subjected to many lawsuits. And you'd better believe that if Celebrity themselves had sold tickets for the most recent horrible event, they would be paying damages until the cows come home.

Common sense tells us that a Corporation that doesn't want to have to fight even MORE difficult lawsuits...will AT LEAST keep SOME kind of eye on the excursion suppliers. It is an obvious financial requirement.

Saving $20-60 each in any given foreign port, or trying to "maybe" get a far superior excursion than everybody else....is it really worth the risk, knowing that Carnival knows NOTHING about the company involved?

No way, Jose. Not for this family...especially since it's outside of America.

We did the Liberty Med trip last October. Except for Venice, Barcelona, and Dubrovnic (which are all very near the ship) we did the Company Tours. The main reason was to avoid the possibility of having to fly to the next port if we missed the sailing. Some did miss it and some came very close.

We were on the port side and would be sitting on the deck as people were frantically running down the dock trying to get back. We watched one couple fighting all the way back. She wasn't moving fast enough and he left her on her own. She made it crying all the way. A few hundred people cheering (laughing) her on. We had people who had to fly from Sicily to Barcelona. They missed a full day at sea. I go on a vaction to releive stress and the couple of extra bucks that I have to pay the Company is well worth it.

Tony

Thanks for the replies. I tend to agree that if Carnival is aligning with any of the operators, despite any disclaimers, they are taking on potential liability and this would take some type of due diligence in selecting operators.

We will stick with the Carnival excursions.

...no matter WHAT others who go out on their own in a foreign country say...if Carnival recommends and SELLS excursion tickets...they can be held legally responsible in court if God forbid, a severe accident occurs.

The cruiseline can print whatever they'd like about "not responsible"...as a huge company on the NYSE, Carnival can be and is subjected to many lawsuits. And you'd better believe that if Celebrity themselves had sold tickets for the most recent horrible event, they would be paying damages until the cows come home.

Common sense tells us that a Corporation that doesn't want to have to fight even MORE difficult lawsuits...will AT LEAST keep SOME kind of eye on the excursion suppliers. It is an obvious financial requirement.

Saving $20-60 each in any given foreign port, or trying to "maybe" get a far superior excursion than everybody else....is it really worth the risk, knowing that Carnival knows NOTHING about the company involved?

No way, Jose. Not for this family...especially since it's outside of America.

Okay, what do you suggest for everyone else then? Since Carnival excursions tend to sell out before one steps foot on the ship, and they don't have room for even half the people on the ship... you suggest that if a tour is sold out, and there is a reputable company that you should just sit on the ship and you are SOL??? For some people it has nothing to do with the cost... check out the POC boards, see how many excursions are sold out and people are looking for options. It's not always as simple as "never take a 3rd party excursion"... So if Carnival knows nothing about the company involved, you are at risk?? There are 3rd party excursion companies that Carnival will actually refer you to when the tours are sold out, but they are not ship sponsored. There are 3rd party companies that have 1000's of posts and reviews on this board alone... a board that represents less than 1% of cruisers. Sorry, I don't live my entire life finding companies that only one company recommends. Anything can happen on EITHER tour, ship sponsored or not. I would personally rather do the research personally, and base my decision on that... I'm not basing my decision on "Well Carnival says it's okay so it MUST be okay"...

I don't know that they allow the excursions to sell out before the actual cruise. Not everyone has access to the Internet.

Some excursions, like dolphin swims, are limited in capacity, but many have none.

Even when a tour "sells" out, often there will be a waiting list, and if enough people sign up, they will either hire more busses, boats, whatever, or add second shifts for the tours that don't last all day.

There also are almost always cancellations.

We did a Turtle Farm, Hell, and Stingray City tour with Carnival in December off the Liberty - everything was good till we got to the boat that took people to Stingray City.

The all knowing captain took off from the dock with one of the lines still tied off, one of the mates was trying to untie it. He just throttled up and SNAP, the high speed rope hit the side of the cabin just above someone's head, had it hit them in the face, they would have been severely injured.

That should have been my first sign, it got worse, several people would have not made it back to where they moved the boat once everyone debarked if not for the stronger guests.

It was a total safety disaster - there over 40 complaints filed with the ship on our return - last count we had heard.

You would have been significantly better off with Captain Marvin or one of the other reputable company's.

Bottom line, being on a Carnival excursion NEVER guarantees your safety, it may guarantee deep pockets, and that you will not be left to fend for yourself if you miss the ship. But, if you are truly concerned about the primary safety of your family and not just having someone to sue - you are no better off with Carnival.

Carnival is very safety conscience. Every shore day the following is printed in the Capers:

Mopeds, Jet Skis and Parasailing

These are dangerouse activities and we advise you not to use them.

The above "warning" has absolutely *nothing* to do with safety, Ducky, and you know it. It's simply that Carnival has been unable to shake down a local tour operator to pay Carnival's extortion. :rolleyes:

I'm learning a lot by everyone's responses. But here's my scenerio. I'm taking my daughter and 3 granddaughters on Ecstasy April 13. I was on Elation in Feb. and got 'hooked'. This trip is, by my standards, a big chunk of change. We are docking at Calica and I understand there is really nothing there. The only thing we really want to do is have the 'girls' swim at Playa del carmen. Would anyone suggest a taxi as opposed to spending the $$ to book an excursion to take us to a beach? I don't want to sound cheap, and my family's safety is of utmost importance, so I'm asking for advice from those how are more experienced than I am.:confused:

Do the research to the best of your ability, make a decision, and then stop worrying. Accidents happen, even to the most contientious people, even to people who are licenced, responsible, well meaning, well educated, and highly touted. Somehow you have to find a way to be relaxed and not think you can prevent stuff like this from happening (that is why they are called "accidents"). Every day you are faced with these possible bad things happening to you....in the US or outside of it. The cruise ship knows where you are, and who you are, so even if you are not part of one of their tours you are accounted for. Unless you miss the ship. This, to me, has been the only reasonable reason for using the cruise ship tours, they will guarantee your return to the ship at their cost. If you are tight on time and are not sure about the length of your journey or return time, than go with Carnival. You cannot control any other part of it, but you can look into the choices and make an informed decision... hope you find a way to relax and enjoy.

Here is a website that I frequently refer to when I am deciding to do an excursion, either through the cruiseline or privately. It doesn't have ALL the info I need but it helps me get a clearer picture of where I am visiting. For instance...check out the Belize link.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1765.html

Unfortunately that bus could have been driven by a sanctioned excursion. It's a sad, sad tragedy but in the end you have to go with whatever makes you comfortable. It is a vacation after all. I for one am not swayed, took independent excursions when I cruised a couple weeks ago and would do it again in a heartbeat.

There was talk on the Belize board about getting bit by a mosquito and becoming host to botfly larva. Just like the bus tragedy, it can happen whether you book independent or by cruise.

There is no right or wrong answer here. If paying a few extra bucks for a tour gives you peace of mind, only you can decide if it' worth it. I called my DW and told her about the bus accident as well has the Princess fire. She asked me "Is that gonna stop us next time?" I said "nope". She said "me neither". Risk is always there. I don't think cruising or cruise excursions have gotten any more or any less dangerous in the past week.

If my tour bus falls off a cliff and I die, all the blame in the world isnt gonna bring me back, so if Carnival takes responsibility or not, it's really a moot point. Besides, the tour operator is then responsible, so now there is someone to point a finger at. But I reiterate, it won't do anything for me.

Go and have fun. If it feels good, do it. If it feels real good, do it again. :)

If everyone would put as much time into researching what they want to do for an excursion (and the companies that run them) as they put into arguing on this board then they would be able to find things they consider safe for them and their family. They could make a choice based on what they find out.

Nothing is set in stone where safety is concerned.

My ship sponsered excursion in Aruba was enough proof to me that the excursion vendors are not any better (sometimes much worse) than the independant ones. We were on a jeep & snorkel tour in Aruba. The vendor left us behind in the water. They didn't even know they did it! We hitched a ride back to the ship. No harm done. But I never think twice now about hiring independants. Love the ports of call board. I've booked three excursions for our next cruise from recommendations of fellow cc members. Hopefull THEY won't leave me out in the water alone!

Ok I must be showing my blondness now cuz I don't understand how booking a tour with CCL, or any other ship tour, will prevent an accident. Accidents are just that - Accidents. No one can predict them.

Gee what should I do if I take a land based vacation - Not take any tours !!!!

Yes they have to pick reputable companies but can't we do that ourselves? All it takes is a little homework.

Research ahead of time and check tour companies out in other places such as AAA, Trip advisor, ect. These (cruise critic) boards are full of information from fellow travels who post their advice, thoughts and ideas about tours and such.

My ship sponsered excursion in Aruba was enough proof to me that the excursion vendors are not any better (sometimes much worse) than the independant ones. We were on a jeep & snorkel tour in Aruba. The vendor left us behind in the water. They didn't even know they did it! We hitched a ride back to the ship. No harm done. But I never think twice now about hiring independants. Love the ports of call board. I've booked three excursions for our next cruise from recommendations of fellow cc members. Hopefull THEY won't leave me out in the water alone!

Ever see the movie "Open Water"? :eek:

In all seriousity, I hope that you communicated this incident to the shore excursion desk personnel, as well as Carnival Corporate. That was unacceptable.

This happened on a ship tour with RCI. We were snorkling from the beach (not a boat) so we walked to the lunch area and caught a ride with a different tour group back to the port. We really didn't pursue it with RCI. We were having so much fun we let it go. Maybe we should have complained. We saw "Open Water" after that. Brought back memories. Looking back I realize it was a mistake not to complain so this doesn't happen to someone else. BTW - the tour company didn't take names or anything down. They had no clue how many people were out in the water. EEK! They didn't even realize they left us!! RCI and Carnival both were using this company when it happened a couple a years ago. Ship sponsored tours are no better than private ones. I have learned to do my "own" research from now on - not trust a cruise line who is mostly looking at the bottom dollar.

Archived