1st time on a cruise

ljw

I have been told that I am trying to plan to much in advance, but we are going on a cruise in November with a group of people. I have a ton of questions about what to wear, I am a picky eater so can I take my own pop and snacks, and what is the weather like in Cozumel in November. TIA

If it helps we are going on Carnival

LJW

Well, unfortunately I can't tell you about what the weather will be like, but I just wanted to let you know that we booked our cruise 9 months in advance and I started reading these boards right away. Everyone on here has been extremely helpful. I don't think it's too early to start your planning! Even if you don't make any firm plans right now, it's great to start reading about cruising and what it will be like, etc. I check the boards every day and now that my cruise is only about 2 weeks away, I'm on here constantly! I've found that the anticipation is a lot of fun!:p

ljw, have fun planning your cruise! Tons of great info on these boards. We were in Cozumel Dec 3, 2004...the weather was great. I don't think you will have a problem taking pop and/or packaged snacks onboard, heck, depending on what pop and snacks you like, they might be for sale on your ship.

Take your time and plan your activities and enjoy every minute of it- because it will be over before you know it. Relish in every moment before the cruise and enjoy the cruise to the fullest. You are not planning to far in advance - you are planning for the "future"!!!:D

Trust me, I am a cruise-addict and I have only been on two cruises! Are you taking a diary with you? I always do - also walkie-talkies are fun to take with you!

Also, what kind of foods are you picky about? You shouldn't bring your own food - there are a ton of choices onboard! What ship are you going on?

I am interpereting your request slightly differently from the other responses and assume you want the snacks in case you find nothing to your taste on the menu.

I am a VERY picky eater - ask my wife! I have only been on 2 cruises, both HAL, but I have always found food I not only could eat, but enjoyed eating. The cariety on the buffet is excellent and the selection on the dinner menu is wide. It would be very difficult to go and find there was NOTHING you liked on the menu. You can also ask for something specific if you do not see it on the menu and you have a good chance of getting it.

Don't worry, you won't starve!

Forget all the people who are telling you not to plan so much, they will be the ones thanking you when you hand them a ziploc bag for their wet swimsuit after an excursion in port :)

For an idea of what to wear on your cruise take a look at the recommended dress codes by the cruiseline, so you will know how many formal nights you have etc. If you choose not to do formal wear, you can always eat at the buffet or an alternative restaurant for dinner. As for attire around the ship,resort wear or normal vacation wear goes; shorts, t shirts,cover ups with your swim suit, chekc out the Cruise Fashion section on this board, no question is silly there.If you plan on going on excursions you might need to walk with comfortable shoes for walking or water shoes.

You can walk with soda and snacks, but you can also take a look at what type of "soda card" your ship offers to see if it isa better deal (that is if you drink alot of soda).

I can't answer your questions about the weather in Cozumel, my first time there will be in October, but read reviews from people who have been there in November and see what they say about the weather.

Hope this helps!

Hello,

Planning and researching are part of the fun of cruising or any other vacation. However, please relax and do not take all of this responsibility on yourself. You cannot possibly make everyone happy all the time. Remember, a cruise is an adventure and especially a first cruise. And ask as many questions as you want because no question is too trivial or dumb. I look at these boards because I really enjoy cruises and I like to help persons with their planning and research. There are many others out there who would like to help you as well.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

I start planning when I make my final decision about the cruise ... usually 15 months out. It's not real serious hard-decision planning, but it gets me in the mood and gives me something to do. A little bit here, a little bit there; makes the time pass.

There is SOOOO much food on a cruise, and so many choices for things to drink, you really don't need to stress about bringing your own food on board. My mom is the worst eater, only plain meat and potatoes with no spices or gravies on anything, but she manages to eat more on a cruise than she does at home. They also have shops on board that sell lots of snacks, but with all the food they serve for free, 24 hrs a day, you won't ever go hungry on a cruise. Most people find they gain weight because there's so much to eat. They have all kinds of pizza, sandwiches, desserts, ice cream and just about anything else you can think of, available all day and night.

Bring shorts, t-shirts, capri pants, bathing suits and coverups to wear during the day. At night, you'll have formal nights and casual. For formal you're going to need a long dress or short cocktail dress or a fancy pantsuit for formal night if you're a woman, and if you're a man you'll need a tux or dark suit for formal night. For casual nights, it's casual slacks, capri pants or a sundress for the women and casual slacks and a collared shirt for the men. No jeans or shorts in the dining room at night.

Thank you for all your help, we are going with a group and we have around 130 going. There is one person in charge of making all the details, but we are planning our own excursions off shore. We are going with a band who will be performing 3 or 4 nites on the ship. We are sailing on the Carinval Conquest.

Archived