Sitka shore excursions

ciabelle

I understand there's a free shuttle from the Old Sitka Cruise Pier to downtown. We'll be there on Monday on the NCL Bliss from 10:30-6pm. We booked the Fortress of the Bears excursion for 2:30pm. 

Anyone happen to know if the excursions generally pick up at the pier or in downtown? Our working plan is to explore the city on our own in the morning,  then go on the excursion which will probably wrap up about an hour before the all aboard time, thus ending our time ashore. I'm hoping we don't have to cut our independent exploration short to take the shuttle back to the ship, only to get on a tour bus that will again go through the city center on its way to the Fortress. 

Obviously, the tickets will tell us the meeting point, but hoping someone with recent experience can give us a head's up so I can better budget our time in port. 

Unless you booked the tour through the ship, it will probably leave from the downtown area.  I do think you are underestimating how long it will take for the shuttle bus. When I was there last summer, the line for the shuttle in the morning was around two hours.  If there is another ship, that time increases.  Make sure you are one of the first off the ship.  Also allow at least an hour for the return shuttle before the all aboard time unless they agree to drop you off back at the ship.

Did you book this excursion through NCL?  We have never been on NCL but my experience is that ship sponsored shore excursions leave from the ship.  

Have you contacted Fortress of the Bears directly?  The Sitka port shuttle delivers folks to the Harrigan Centennial Center in downtown Sitka.  Private tours

to F of the B leave from that location.

41 minutes ago, Mbcruiser704 said:

Do all of the cruise lines dock outside of town requiring a shuttle in?

Most larger ships do. Smaller vessels moor and use tenders into town. No cruise ships dock in town, the marina can't handle them. 

• Like 1