Your opinion of the Mexican Riveria

ppeckham

I'm planning to take my daughter on a cruise next summer while the boys (hubby and son) are at Philmont scout camp. We've done the western Caribbean several times. My daughter wants to do the Mexican Riveria.

For those who have cruised this itinerary, let me know what you enjoyed and what you disliked.

My daughter will be 13 by the time we cruise. What excursions would you recommend?

ppeckham: We only cruise the mexican riviera because DH doesn't fly. It depends on how many days and what ports you are going to? We don't do exursions, just get our own taxi and have them show us around the ports. Let me know what ports and I can give you my opinion.

Vision of the Seas 11/04

Carnival Spirit 10/03

Ecstasy 12/02

Ecstasy 05/02

Statendam 12/01

Norwegian Wind 12/00

Viking Serenade 09/00

Rhapsody of the Seas 12/99

Holiday 01/98

Nordic Prince 10/94

Viking Serenade 09/93

Song of America 10/92

We went in May of 1990.

It was COLD the first full day out, and the last full day in. And windy. Going up on deck was for the brave of heart only.

In between it was hot as hell and extremely humid.

It was a different croud than we were used to, being from the east coast.

The three ports were less than desireable, except for Cabo, where we stayed too short and had to tender.

But you know what?

WE LOVED IT!@!!

peter.gif

__ /7__/7__/7____

\:::::::::::::::::::/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Legend 5/13/05 NY to E. Caribbean

Miracle 7/10/04 NY to Bahamas and Port Canaveral

Disney Wonder 3/04/04

Pride 7/16/03 Bermuda

Legend 10/17/02 CTN

Disney Wonder 9/15/02

Destiny 4/29/01 Southern Caribbean

Victory 9/14/00 Canadian Maritimes

Triumph 9/99 Canadian Maritimes

Jubilee 4/98 Trans Pacific/Hawaii

Imagination 4/97 Western Caribbean

Imagination 4/96 Western Caribbean

Fascination 4/95 Southern Caribbean

Ecstasy 4/18/93 Eastern Caribbean

Fantasy 9/25/90 Bahamas

Jubilee 5/13/90 Mexican Riviera

NCL Seaward 1/15/89 Western Caribbean

Jubilee 4/24/88 Eastern Caribbean HONEYMOON

Just got back the 13th on the Pride. The weather was getting hot in Mexico, I would not go late in the summer. The Pride had great A/C. The 1st day was cloudy and cool the 2nd day was cloudy and cool until about 2pm and then the sun came out and got warm. We had our 16 and 14 year old sons with us the only excursion we did was the canopy tour in P.V. the rest of the stops they just wanted to do quick shoping and head back to the ship.

I have done this route 5 times. The last time was on the Pride. It is a beautiful ship. We had a wonderful time. Last year we were on the Elation also had a wonderful time. Both times we did Randi's Happy Horses in Mazatlan. I am terrified of horses but managed to overcome my fear for my daughter's sake. She was 14 and 15 on our last two trips. We really enjoy this vacation. I don't mind flying, but hate all the extra steps involved. I would say go for it. Just remember if you go in the summer it will be extremely humid. We went in February and March and the weather was beautiful both times. Do your shopping in Puerto Vallarta as the prices seem to get higher once you start back north.

Candi

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&prgb=32CD32&cdt=2004;02;29;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Hi Ppeckham! You'll have a blast on this route! Take a looksie at my review (link under my signature below) - just click on the parts covering each port.

The excursions we took were:

Countryside Adventure, Puerto Vallarta - Being our first visit to Mexico, this was a wonderful introduction to the country and to Puerto Vallarta. Great tour guide (Sergio) made it fun and informative.

Rhythms of the Night, Puerto Vallarta - If you get seasick, even a little bit, STAY AWAY! This is one bumpy 90-minute boat ride out to Las Caletas. However, if you CAN stand it, the island was beautiful and the food (I was told) was not too bad. You may want to opt for the daytime Las Caletas tour instead, but the boat ride and waves will still apply.

Note: Although we didn't go on it because it was in dry dock, we have heard the Sunset Pirate Cruise in PV is excellent as well.

Randi's Happy Horses, Mazatlan - This is a MUST SEE! Randi is a hoot, and her horses are wonderful. It can be as gentle or as advanced as you like - they will fit the horse to your skill level (well, most of the time - poor Bernie - just make sure to let them know what you're REALLY comfortable with.)

Now in Cabo, we just went shopping, and really regret not taking a tour. You're not there too long, and the shopping area just reminded us of any other beach town in California - from the bars to the Burger King, from the Johhny Rockets to the Hard Rock Cafe. We will definitely take a tour to see the area AWAY from the shopping areas next time.

Have a great time! icon_smile.gif

Mark ºoº

5/9/04 Pride Cruise - 1st Cruise!

Click here for links to The Review

Visit our Webshots Gallery

Hello,

We did our first cruise in Mid May on this route on the Pride. Every veteran cruiser I talked too say the Pride is a GREAT ship. Since it was our first cruise we had nothing to compare it too but my wife and I are desperately trying to figure out how to book on her again or her sister ship the Spirit which is coming to San Diego.

Regarding the Itinerary, we had been to Puerto Vallarta for a week before, so knew the town and loved it. Mazatlan is great but Cabo I was not all that impressed with, some people love it or just think it is ok. Very Americanized and just as expensive as here in California. Nonetheless still had a good time on the beautiful beach. DO NOT GO on this itinerary expecting to have good diving or snorkeling. I've snorkled in Hawaii, Cozumel and Belize and I must say that the Mexican Pacific side is the worst snorkeling I've ever done. Water temp is not as high and clarity just isn't there. Plenty of other activities to do however.

The only negative thing that in all the reviews I've read, up until this thread, NEVER mentioned was the first day and a half and the last day at sea is BRUTAL. All day on Monday and half day on Tuesday it is foggy/windy and cold, no one is on deck. On Tuesday, the sun just comes out and it is beautiful and warm. On friday after you leave Cabo, you round the point (Lands End) and turn into a North wind and it goes from being sunny in the mid-80's (while sitting in the bay at cabo) to Sunny and very WINDY and in the cool 60's. It's like getting sucker punched right in the gut. I've never seen the life get sucked out of a vacation faster then that. Everyone is not on the lido deck, the Mermaids grill is windy and cool, it's the darndest thing. Then all day Saturday cruising back to Long Beach same thing. Windy and cool no one on deck. Everyone was just walking around in a haze, wierd. I asked numerous crewmembers if this was unique to our trip and they all said no, the weather on the first 1.5 days and the last day is always the same no matter what time of year.

Would I stop going on this itinerary because of the weather issue? NO. This was an awesome vacation and the Ports are great, just beware of the weather issue, I know no one mentions that part in all of the reviews on this board because I've read them all. And be sure to read Marklodi's reviews (day to day account) it is by far the best review anywhere on the internet regarding this itinerary.

Take Care

Sean.

Our First Cruise:

Carnival Pride 5/16/04

I was on this Ship in January. And Yes it was cold . Not much laying out on the lido deck in the sun. We are doing it again in Sept.and I am hoping it will be warmer. Has anyone done this itinery in Sept. ???????? Please say it will be warmer.... icon_confused.gif

9/12 Pride

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;09;12;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Destiny 9/12/99

Destiny 2/04/01

Triumph 12/08/01

Destiny 11/03/02

Pride 01/18/04

Pride 09/12/04

I have done this itinerary many times-icon_smile.gif

And different times of the year, including the last week in August. The temp was warm to blazzing hot in P.V.

Best time of year, for our family, is Easter. We have gone 4 times over Easter.

John

We had a blast! I worte a review of it when I got back, you can check it out if you want.

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?q=Y&a=tpc&s=927093444&f=969097554&m=7653055377&p=1

lieb24.gif

Official member of O.A.T.C.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2005;2;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until we fool around on the Miracle! Feb 13/05

Ecstacy, Western Carib. Sept '99

Pride, Mexican Riv. Feb '04 <A HREF="http://community.webshots.com/user/sweetcharlotte30

" TARGET=_blank>http://community.webshots.com/user/sweetcharlotte30

</A>

Yesterday is history

Tomorrow is a mystery

And today is a gift.

Partner and I did this itenary on the Pride in January of 2004. Had an absolute blast...

In Puerto Vallarta did the Jungle Hike, then got dropped off in town to wander around by the beach and shop.

Mazatlan did the walking tour of old Mazatlan, which was great.

Cabo, did the whale watching (January is the beginning of the whale migration). We didn't care that much for Cabo, actually. But thoroughly enjoyed the rest.

Someone on this thread mentioned the first day to day and a half being cold. I don't recall that actually. I do remember everything being very nicely warm in PV, Mazatlan, and Cabo, though.

Furry

Fantasy, 7/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;7;4;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0400

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FurryCruiser:

Someone on this thread mentioned the first day to day and a half being cold. I don't recall that actually.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with Furry. I've done this itinerary 9 times(live 45 minutes from the port icon_biggrin.gif) and I would estimate at least half of them have warm first 2 days at sea and last day at sea, whereas almost all have had warm days at least the 2nd day at sea. These ports are usually quite humid with Cabo San Lucas being the mildest.

Live well, love much, laugh often.

Gary icon_cool.gif

Dolphins.gif

I agree with sbnuggie...just got back on the 13th. Weather was horrible! We had a balcony and could only use it 2 1/2 days. It is always cloudy and cold the first two days at sea and also Saturday. We were surprised when it turned so cold Friday afternoon. We will stick with the Carribean!

OK - Let me explain. Ppeckham and I work at the same place and our families were on the Conquest together last year. I want to do the Mexician Riviera on the Pride but have been out-voted for the Glory or Valor.

So that being said - BRAT!

-- Cheryl

****Proud member of O.A.T.C.****

Check out my Homepage in my profile for Conquest info

10/99 Fantasy

12/01 Inspiration

03/02 Inspiration

03/03 Conquest

05/04 Rhapsody

Cheryl: I may be biased, as I said, all my cruises have been to the Mexican Riviera. But, in your defense, the key wording in ppeckhams post was cruising during the summer! I think it will be warmer than when the previous posters were cruising. I don't mean to sway anyones opinions, but I think that is a good debate issue! icon_biggrin.gif

Vision of the Seas 11/04

Carnival Spirit 10/03

Ecstasy 12/02

Ecstasy 05/02

Statendam 12/01

Norwegian Wind 12/00

Viking Serenade 09/00

Holiday 01/98

Nordic Prince 10/94

Viking Serenade 09/93

Song of America 10/92

As S.S. Cruisers noted, we'll be cruising in mid to late July next year. So the weather should be warm. Since we live in Texas, we can handle the heat and humidity.

I was looking at some of the excursions available. Thought the dolphin swim and snorkeling might be pretty good. Someone noted the snorkeling isn't the greatest. Any other thoughts? Should I do something else?

Cheryl, we're not completely set on this one. Depending upon what Linda decides (when you go and where), I may get Lissa to change her mind.

We have gone on this route 7 times as we have not wanted to spend a day in the air each way. We drive down in 8 hours and back the same. Love the Itinerary ...Puerto Vallarta is wonderful. Love Mazatlan..have favorite restaurants we go to. Do not do tours with the exception of the Tequila tasting as that is the only way we get the brand of tequila we really like. In Cabo we have done the Land's end tour and the Countryside tour. The area outside of Cabo is really nice and the little town of San Jose del Cabo is really pretty.

We have always found the first day and the last day to be windy and cool. We did notice on the trip back this time the Pride really goes right along after we leave Cabo and it was a bit rough.

Still we feel it is the best use of our vacation buck.

There is also the 8 day Mexican Riveria out of San Diego that does Acapulco, Manzanillo and Xtapa. My first cruise is this October 16th on this ship. Not sure if Carnival has done this before or not. Has anyone done these ports? Is the weather just as bad as it is on the Pride. I would think October would be warmer in Southern California. Any comments on this itinerary?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;10;16;21;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Aceinnw: Yes, Carnival has done this itinerary before. We have not taken the Spirit on this one. However, Zihautanejo/Ixtapa and Manzanillo are 2 of our favorite ports. They are not as "Americanized" as the other ports. Its old Mexico if you will. Leaving out of San Diego is better than leaving from San Pedro in our opinion. We have 4 cruises picked out, most including these ports. Sis is cruising with us and I would like to get her on another cruise line. She has only cruised Carnival. We loved the Spirit though. I am getting better prices for longer cruises from other lines. Will have to wait and see when sis can get her vacation, that will also make a difference. Who knows we may be on the Spirit again! Not a bad thing. icon_biggrin.gif

Vision of the Seas 11/04

Carnival Spirit 10/03

Ecstasy 12/02

Ecstasy 05/02

Statendam 12/01

Norwegian Wind 12/00

Viking Serenade 09/00

Holiday 01/98

Nordic Prince 10/94

Viking Serenade 09/93

Song of America 10/92

I have been on the Mexican Riviera (7 day) twice and both in September. I found each time that the first and last days are cool but tollerable and the second morning when you walk onto the Lido deck early in the AM and the breeze is warm and wraps your body in that true feeling of being somewhere new...well...it is just amazing...from that moment on I know I am one of the luckiest people on earth!

We have done both an eco-tour with two young women taking us out into the Bay to follow dophins and a private arrangement with the young man (Eduardo) for boogie boarding about 20 minutes north of PV (he owns Accion Surf Shop and he and my husband hooked up over the internet as DH had been to his shop on a previous PV visit)...We rode with Randi both times (as always great) in Mazatlan. Cabo being the last port...well, just strolled, bought a few gifts and ate...always a good thing in my book! Have a great time and as usual I always wish I was there...

hm....too many kids on the ship...weather was aweful...too much smoke...thought I should get a full refund after cruise...too many fat people ...too many skinny people....no one just like me....my dad just had a stroke after this very positive note was written by myself on the itinerary and really we are all just 'playing til the end' ... and find that life is too short to sweat the little stuff and if you are on the cruise...well just enjoy...now my ending may end this thread as I am starting to believe that negative is the positive when addressing this board.

lakelover: I hope your dad is okay. You are absolutely right, people get all bunched up about nothing, when there are serious issues that happen to people on a daily basis that do mean something. Sometimes I find myself getting upset about "nothing" and think how fortunate I am.

ppeckham: I would say Puerta Vallarta. Cabo is major tourist trap now with the "new" shopping mall next to the pier. We don't like the shopping area of Mazatlan, to busy and pricey. The malecon in PV is beautiful with a lot of nice shops, modestly priced. Hope you decide to do this itinerary, even though I'm biased!

Vision of the Seas 11/04

Carnival Spirit 10/03

Ecstasy 12/02

Ecstasy 05/02

Statendam 12/01

Norwegian Wind 12/00

Viking Serenade 09/00

Holiday 01/98

Nordic Prince 10/94

Viking Serenade 09/93

Song of America 10/92