Taxi from Ravenna train station to port?

Karysa

How easy is it to find a taxi at the train station in Ravenna to take us to the cruise port? Celebrity has a transfer option but we would prefer to take a taxi if they are plentiful.

Posted (edited)

There hasn't been a lot of feedback about this, I've read that it is not easy as Ravenna doesn't have a constant need for a lot of taxis as a bigger city would.  Therefore, when there is a surge like a couple of thousand people trying to get to the port at roughly the same time, the demand outstrips the supply.

There are other options, including a shared shuttle or the local bus.

Shuttle: Shuttle bus - Ravenna / Porto Corsini Cruise Terminal - Ravenna Turismo

Bus from train station to port:  RA_Linea_90_inv23-24_8.1.24.pdf (startromagna.it)

After digging around on the Ravenna tourism website I found the taxi info, such as it is:  Radiotaxi Ravenna (taxidiravenna.it)

According to their website there are 22 taxis to cover the entire city, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.   Which means that at any given time only about half of them would be available to work.  That doesn't sound like good odds to me, I'd be sure to reserve one ahead of time if this is the option you want.

Edited by euro cruiser

Thank you eurocruiser for your thorough and detailed reply. We will be in Bologna and train to Ravenna and taxi to cruise port seemed like the best option when you factored in time and cost so I was looking for a possible glitch and wondered if that was going to be finding a taxi and basically you confirmed that. I will look for another option out of Bologna as I really don’t want to take a taxi, to take a train, to take a bus to take a boat! 😂 I’m sure that your post has helped a lot of people so again thank you very much.

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2024 at 7:19 AM, Karysa said:

Thank you eurocruiser for your thorough and detailed reply. We will be in Bologna and train to Ravenna and taxi to cruise port seemed like the best option when you factored in time and cost so I was looking for a possible glitch and wondered if that was going to be finding a taxi and basically you confirmed that. I will look for another option out of Bologna as I really don’t want to take a taxi, to take a train, to take a bus to take a boat! 😂 I’m sure that your post has helped a lot of people so again thank you very much.

I booked a car service from Bologna to Ravenna ( I stayed there a night before the cruise) but I cannot for the life of me find the name.  That said, they were on time, had a nice car and finding them was pretty easy.  Driver spoke enough English to be able to tell me where to meet him, and he sent a photo so I knew who I was looking for. I'll try and find it again and swing back by to post if I do!

ETA:  Looks like it was this company. Also used them in Amsterdam!

https://airportstaxitransfers.com/

Edited by megr1125

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2024 at 1:13 PM, megr1125 said:

I booked a car service from Bologna to Ravenna ( I stayed there a night before the cruise) but I cannot for the life of me find the name.  That said, they were on time, had a nice car and finding them was pretty easy.  Driver spoke enough English to be able to tell me where to meet him, and he sent a photo so I knew who I was looking for. I'll try and find it again and swing back by to post if I do!

ETA:  Looks like it was this company. Also used them in Amsterdam!

https://airportstaxitransfers.com/

Thank you for the information. 😊

Not sure if you wanted to avoid taking a shuttle bus or limit the complexity of transfers.  

However, if the latter, IIRC X should have a coach bus transfer from Bologna train station directly to the Ravenna port terminal.  However, I'm not familiar with the exact details (as I took the shuttle from the Ravenna train station. 🙂)

1 hour ago, Milhouse said:

Not sure if you wanted to avoid taking a shuttle bus or limit the complexity of transfers.  

However, if the latter, IIRC X should have a coach bus transfer from Bologna train station directly to the Ravenna port terminal.  However, I'm not familiar with the exact details (as I took the shuttle from the Ravenna train station. 🙂)

We would like to use the Celebrity shuttle, but the only times listed are 7am.  I also called and they confirmed I would need to be at the Ravenna train station at 7am for shuttle.  That would mean sitting for HOURS at the cruise terminal.  What time were you able to use the shuttle?

The info relayed to you by X seem to differ from our experience.  (Obviously keep in mind the processes may have changed from last year to this year.)  We caught the shuttle around noonish. 

We arrived in Ravenna the day before.  The morning of our cruise, I walked to the Ravenna train station around ~8-9am to find a shuttle rep so I could discuss the transfer process.  I had read on cruise critic from previous X cruisers out of Ravenna that there was a shuttle rep walking around the station (it's small) looking for cruisers needing a transfer to the dock.  However, I did not find the rep there that early.  

We spent the morning walking to the mosaic sites before eventually heading back to the train station around noon.  We found the shuttle rep in front of the train station who was fairly easily identifiable with a clipboard/sign and vest.  (Note they are a vendor hired by X.)  Talking to her, she indicated they didn't show up until later in the morning.  (I kind of find this odd though as they're likely shuttling pax from the ship to Ravenna from the previous cruise.)  

We had to walk through the train station via the underground passage (to the platforms) to the other side of the station where another rep met us.  They directed us down the block to the parking lot where another rep took down our name and room number to charge the transfer to our room.  We had to wait a bit for the coach shuttle bus to arrive which seemed to be carrying crew that wanted to pop into Ravenna for a bit.