Scotch Tours, Timing, Transportation-Edinburgh

So, I've been researching Scotch tasting tours from Edinburgh.  Our cruise ship gets in at 9AM, most start early or 9:30....and I also have to get to Edinburgh City Center from the pier.  (Yes, I've researched the X99, but that doesn't drop very close to the ones I've found, so I can't imagine with tendering and everything that we'd be able to get anywhere by 10AM for a departure.

Any creative thoughts?

38 minutes ago, llbiopoet said:

So, I've been researching Scotch tasting tours from Edinburgh.  Our cruise ship gets in at 9AM, most start early or 9:30....and I also have to get to Edinburgh City Center from the pier.  (Yes, I've researched the X99, but that doesn't drop very close to the ones I've found, so I can't imagine with tendering and everything that we'd be able to get anywhere by 10AM for a departure.

Any creative thoughts?

You may be able to look for a tour that will pick you up at the port?That would eliminate all the guess work getting in and out of Edinburgh?

I assume your tour involves a trip to a distillery, hence the timings?

The downside with Edinburgh is it doesn't have a well established whisky distillery convenient for the centre.  However the nearest - Glenkinchie - is only about 15 miles, about a 30 minute drive, so a taxi is an option.

If not the Scotch Whisky Experience in Edinburgh does tasting tours and has a bar with almost 500 whiskies.  

4 hours ago, llbiopoet said:

So, I've been researching Scotch tasting tours from Edinburgh.

There is also the Johnnie Walker Experience on Princes St.😀

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Thejuggler said:

I assume your tour involves a trip to a distillery, hence the timings?

The downside with Edinburgh is it doesn't have a well established whisky distillery convenient for the centre.  However the nearest - Glenkinchie - is only about 15 miles, about a 30 minute drive, so a taxi is an option.

If not the Scotch Whisky Experience in Edinburgh does tasting tours and has a bar with almost 500 whiskies.  

There are two distilleries in Edinburgh now:

Holyrood Distillery (https://www.holyrooddistillery.co.uk/) is just south of the city centre (easily accessed with a city bus that comes free with an X99 ticket, or using a taxi).  They have been distilling for a few years and have their own whisky for sale.

Port of Leith Distillery (https://www.leithdistillery.com/) has only been distilling for a few weeks, so doesn't sell any of its own whisky, but is interesting because it's the world's first vertical whisky distillery and on a good day has fantastic views from the bar.  It's next door to the Royal Yacht Britannia.  Again, your X99 ticket will get free transport there, this time on the tram.

If you're interested in buying something different from what you can get elsewhere, then check out Cadenhead's on the Royal Mile (https://www.cadenhead.scot/)

15 hours ago, llbiopoet said:

So, I've been researching Scotch tasting tours from Edinburgh.  Our cruise ship gets in at 9AM, most start early or 9:30....

9am is unusually late for South Queensferry.
What date are you here?  I might be able to double check the booked arrival time with another source.