Bordeaux/Bay of Biscay seas

We are considering a sailing next Mid June with ports in Bilbao as well as Bordeaux. We have sailed from Lisbon to LeHavre, so a straight shot, but we have not sailed into the Bay of Biscay.  I am wondering if a sailing that takes this route would be anticipated to have pretty rough seas?  
Also, mid June is way later than we usually travel (apr/may). I am guessing that the crowds will be pretty high then as well?  
Thank you in advance. 

12 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

I am guessing that the crowds will be pretty high then as well?  

VV, you will know from your other European cruises that nowadays  Europe is busy almost year round, numbers slowly increasing throughout the summer season, but taking a huge leap in August. Sorry to say that, unless in Europe in winter months such as January or February, crowds are to be expected, only fewer of them. Sadly, overtourism has no boundaries.

Friends and neighbours have been remarking this past month or so that Edinburgh appears to be more crowded with tourists  than usual for the time of year.

The Bay off Biscay has a reputation for being pretty bad-tempered. All a matter of luck, but in the summer months she's very much more likely to be benign. We've crossed on various occasions between May & September and she's been a sweetie. 

Worst BoB experiences on passenger ships tend to be on ferries - a lot of ferries cross BoB. You don't mention your ship but the vast majority of cruise ships are much bigger than ferries, and a good big-un is smoother than a good little-un.

JB 🙂

Thank you both. I know that it’s a roll of the dice to a certain degree. We are looking at Oceania (1200 pax) for the first time….this route or a Mediterranean in earlier May. Our trip last year was late May into early June and it was pretty crazy crowds in the larger ports, but we sailed Seabourn into many small ports so that was really lovely…..mid to late June might just push the crowds to a level I don’t want to be in…..if last year is an indication. 

I initially looked at March/April and the selection is slim…..

I appreciate your feedback!  

• Like 1

On 5/5/2024 at 1:06 AM, Vineyard View said:

I am guessing that the crowds will be pretty high then as well?

Maybe not that bad. Is this the cruise by Oceania's Vista (which I'm taking). If so, I think that it may be too early for the large crowds of French and Spanish tourists to be in the holiday resort ports. And not too many of those ports will be overly popular with North European nationals.