Quick dress code question on Nova

Hi!

we are currently packing for an upcoming Alaska cruise on Nova and had questions about dress code:

- Do no jeans literally mean no jeans? Or are nicer jeans and/or beige/black jeans ok?

- How is the dress code different at La Dane? As far as I can tell, the only difference is that both my husband and I will require jackets?

No jeans probably does mean no jeans but the reality differs.  My DH wore black Zegna jeans with a Bruno Cucinelli jacket without a problem on multiple formal nights. Dress shirts, no tie.  This was on Moon before the revised suggested dress code.

Correct on jackets at all times in La Dame.

Posted (edited)

WE were on the Nova over Christmas and everyone dressed beautifully - I was impressed.  Actually, on our Christmas/New years cruise most passengers dressed as nicely as they did (or even nicer) than on our many, many Silversea cruises where the more traditional dress code was in force.  The new guidelines are easier and more appropriate in this day and age, but Silversea is an elegant product and dressing up a bit in the evening is expected and appropriate.  

Yes, no jeans means no jeans - so simple is it.  Also, in the evening, wear a collared shirt that has sleeves.

At La Dame, passengers do dress up and the jacket rule is enforced (as it should be); it a special evening in a special restaurant, so wear something stylish and attractive and enjoy it.

Edited by LAL Cruiser
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, LAL Cruiser said:

WE were on the Nova over Christmas and everyone dressed beautifully - I was impressed.  Actually, on our Christmas/New years cruise most passengers dressed as nicely as they did (or even nicer) than on our many, many Silversea cruises where the more traditional dress code was in force.  The new guidelines are easier and more appropriate in this day and age, but Silversea is an elegant product and dressing up a bit in the evening is expected and appropriate.  

Yes, no jeans means no jeans - so simple is it.  Also, in the evening, wear a collared shirt that has sleeves.

At La Dame, passengers do dress up and the jacket rule is enforced (as it should be); it a special evening in a special restaurant, so wear something stylish and sheik  and enjoy it.

What are “jeans” though?

in all honesty, I have one pair of dress pants that belong to a suit, and the rest are things like this:

https://www.paige.com/p/lennox--m653f91-7882?scroll=true

Where I live, pretty much any place that requires formal would accept pants like that or like this: https://www.paige.com/p/lennox--m653901-6657 with a jacket (or without a jacket if no jacket is needed).

Will I be turned away at the restaurants with this? 

The first pair looks like khakis which would be OK, the second photo are jeans and could be an issue.  

Go out and buy a pair of "dressier" pants for the cruise, my partner and I have logged about 30 cruises on Silversea and, in the evening, passengers tend to dress up.  Why be uncomfortable or have to deal with such a ""non-issue"" - you are on a vacation and should be able to relax and enjoy!   

Just now, LAL Cruiser said:

The first pair looks like khakis which would be OK, the second photo are jeans and could be an issue.  

Go out and buy a pair of "dressier" pants for the cruise, my partner and I have logged about 30 cruises on Silversea and, in the evening, passengers tend to dress up.  Why be uncomfortable or have to deal with such a ""non-issue"" - you are on a vacation and should be able to relax and enjoy!   

I leave on the boat tomorrow and I’m 5’6” and 125lb, I typically need things tailored or to buy from the kids section, so last minute is a it difficult.

Yes I know, my fault.

1 minute ago, Lookingtocruise42 said:

I leave on the boat tomorrow and I’m 5’6” and 125lb, I typically need things tailored or to buy from the kids section, so last minute is a it difficult.

Yes I know, my fault.

Well, have a wonderful trip - where are you headed??  Make it work with the suite (take the jacket and pants) and the beige khaki like pants.  Mix and match - the grey pants with a suit jacket is also an option.  Maybe you will get lucky at one of the ports and find a shop with something that fits?  

Bon voyage....

Just now, PaulaJK said:

If you purchase here/ there, the ship’s tailor is good with quick turn around and extremely reasonable fees.

The ship has a tailor?! Any idea of rough cost to tailor a jacket and/or pants?

2 hours ago, Lookingtocruise42 said:

What are “jeans” though?

in all honesty, I have one pair of dress pants that belong to a suit, and the rest are things like this:

https://www.paige.com/p/lennox--m653f91-7882?scroll=true

Where I live, pretty much any place that requires formal would accept pants like that or like this: https://www.paige.com/p/lennox--m653901-6657 with a jacket (or without a jacket if no jacket is needed).

Will I be turned away at the restaurants with this? 

The light colored jeans would be fine on any non-formal night, especially with a jacket.  The black jeans might be too casual but perhaps choose one of the more casual eateries on that formal night. Keep in mind that just because others really like to dress up doesn’t mean you’re the one who will feel uncomfortable.  SS doesn’t do anything to make a formal night special so it seems burdensome to me that there is this expectation to dress so formally.  So glad the suggested attire has been relaxed.

22 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

The light colored jeans would be fine on any non-formal night, especially with a jacket.  The black jeans might be too casual but perhaps choose one of the more casual eateries on that formal night. Keep in mind that just because others really like to dress up doesn’t mean you’re the one who will feel uncomfortable.  SS doesn’t do anything to make a formal night special so it seems burdensome to me that there is this expectation to dress so formally.  So glad the suggested attire has been relaxed.

Thanks,

This makes sense to me.

I really don’t get the point of formal night, to me it is a chore and downside of the line :(.

• Thanks 1

On this Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver Cruise, I was surprised at how well everyone dressed virtually every night. I saw very few men not wearing Jackets but most importantly bring warm clothes.Alaska may be very cold and the ship is not prepared for cold weather. Read my reviews under the Live banner.

12 minutes ago, flyers said:

On this Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver Cruise, I was surprised at how well everyone dressed virtually every night. I saw very few men not wearing Jackets but most importantly bring warm clothes.Alaska may be very cold and the ship is not prepared for cold weather. Read my reviews under the Live banner.

That’s actually the cruise we are joining! It hits SF tomorrow and we are hopping on for the 3 days to Vancouver and then from Vancouver to Anchorage.

the butler will move our stuff from one room to another right? We have a base ish room on the first chunk and then move to an Otium suite.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Lookingtocruise42 said:

That’s actually the cruise we are joining! It hits SF tomorrow and we are hopping on for the 3 days to Vancouver and then from Vancouver to Anchorage.

the butler will move our stuff from one room to another right? We have a base ish room on the first chunk and then move to an Otium suite.

Pack your toiletries and items from shelves and drawers* into a suitcase for crew to move.  Clothing on hangers will be transferred on a trolley.

*Ask about items in drawers first.  Sometimes the attendants just swap over the entire drawer from cabin to cabin.

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1