?? What to do where ??

Our cruise stops at the following ports:

• Puerto Vallarta
  • Huatalco, Mexico
  • San Juan Del Sur, Nicaragua
  • Puntarenas, Costa Rica
  • Fuerte Amador, Panama
  • Aruba

Does anyone have recommendations on a good location for the following activities?  Even better, do you have a specific tour operator or do it yourself way to accomplish it? 

• Horseback riding
  • Snorkeling 
  • Ziplining with an option for people the other people who don't want to zipline.
  • UTV type thing, but something with 1 driver and one passenger or everyone as passengers. 

In Costa Rica, I'm hoping to see sloths, but the sanctuaries seem pretty far from the port. We do have a 12-hour day there.

Thanks!!!

Hi alwalaska:  It kind of depends on what time of year you are going... Huatulco and Fuerte Amador can be superhot during our springtime (we just got back from Huatulco in mid March and it was 35C & blue skies every day - people we met off a Princess ship that were on a Panama canal cruise said it was in the low 40'sC there.)  I would suggest a beaches cruise in Huatulco, it's too hot to do any of the other 'active' things you mention.  That would likely be different at the end of the wet season in Huatulco, say, November/December.  Things would be much greener at least.

It's been quite a few years, but we really enjoyed El Charro Ranch horseback rides out of PV into the hills along the river for some good views and a lovely waterfall (again, depending on the season you are going - possibly no falls if it's very dry.)  They treated their horses well and they have been in business for over 30 years so they are pretty good.  You need to take money with you for a lunch out in the Sierra Madre mountains, and a tip for your guide of course.  We loved it, and were lucky enough to be the only two on the 'tour' with a private guide.  https://www.ranchoelcharro.com/

Hope that helps a bit :)

• Thanks 1

On 5/7/2024 at 2:41 AM, canadjineh said:

Hi alwalaska:  It kind of depends on what time of year you are going... Huatulco and Fuerte Amador can be superhot during our springtime (we just got back from Huatulco in mid March and it was 35C & blue skies every day - people we met off a Princess ship that were on a Panama canal cruise said it was in the low 40'sC there.)  I would suggest a beaches cruise in Huatulco, it's too hot to do any of the other 'active' things you mention.  That would likely be different at the end of the wet season in Huatulco, say, November/December.  Things would be much greener at least.

It's been quite a few years, but we really enjoyed El Charro Ranch horseback rides out of PV into the hills along the river for some good views and a lovely waterfall (again, depending on the season you are going - possibly no falls if it's very dry.)  They treated their horses well and they have been in business for over 30 years so they are pretty good.  You need to take money with you for a lunch out in the Sierra Madre mountains, and a tip for your guide of course.  We loved it, and were lucky enough to be the only two on the 'tour' with a private guide.  https://www.ranchoelcharro.com/

Hope that helps a bit 🙂

Thank you so much.  We will be in Mexico in February, but late in the month.  I love your idea for PV and thank you for sharing the company. We've been there twice, so I was looking for something new to do, outside of the main city areas. 

10 hours ago, Ashland said:

This was one of the best tours we did in Puntarenas Costa Rica. So glad we booked this with a group from our rollcall.

https://thumbsuptours.com/inventory/puntarenas-highlights

Thanks!  That tour is very close to what we did as a private tour last time in Puntarenas.  I appreciate the link to their site and a personal recommendation over just what Google turns up. 

• Like 1