What's the difference? Puntarenas/Puerto Caldera

sandydownunder

Stopped in Puntarenas in 2001 on HAL Ryndam. In September we will be on HAL Veendam stopping in Puerto Caldera. On the map these two villages/towns seem to be about 10 miles apart. The shore excursions are the same. Anyone been to both?

Last time we did the Corobici River Float adventure. Thinking maybe of the day trip to San Jose or the Arenal Volcano and thermal waters if we do a ship's tour. Anyone done these two trips?

Any recommendations for private tours? Isla Tortuga looks doable by ourselves, although it is a 90 minute catamaran over. Anyone done this independently? Don't want to miss the ship.

All advice appreciated.

Sandra

• 2 weeks later...

Puerto Caldera is a cargo area

Puntarenas is a small town

Tours can be done from both.

our last time was Puerto Caldera, it has a place sell stuff

we took a taxi (3X$20) for about a 4 hour tour, it was good.

Puntarenas has a lot more to do but

mud buildup in the bay makes it hard to get in and out.

we had fun in both places

Virgil

Puerto Caldera was also a tender port and Puntarenas had a pier

On the cargo dock about a block from the tenders is a market type place

full of crafts, mostly wood.(It's cooler too)

this is also the only place around.

And as I recall the tender was lower than the dock by 2 or 3 feet.

We saw lots of wildlife that trip! and we hope you do also.

Virgil

Hi Virgil,

I am disappointed that Puerto Caldera is a tender port. Hope they get us off quickly to meet our tour.

We arrive at 7am, our guide elected to meet us at 9:30. I wonder if that is the reason, or am I correct that ships time and Costa Rican time is different. Maybe 9:30 is only 8:30 ships time. Do you know anything about this?

Appreciate your help.

Sandra

Sandra,

We were in Puerto Caldera in January. The Windstar, which is smaller than any of HAL's ships, docked at this port. I don't know if this is possible for your ship, but there were some VERY large container ships docked at the pier with us.

Beth

It was not a good day for the dock, it was low tide and a junk tramp steamer was stuck on one end of the dock(bow was on edge of rock wall), but the other end of the dock was clear.

We were on the Veendam in fall of '05.

It took all day for them to empty the ship so it could be moved.

I don't know if our ship was too big for what remained of the dock or just in the way.

The ship also took on a lot of fresh food and fish here.

Virgil

After looking back at my photos a container ship was also at dock.

so it's the luck of the draw, dock or tender.

if you wish to see my photo of dock(and stuck ship) send email to carter48 at cox dot net

Virgil

Be certain to stop at the "River of Crocodiles" it was fantastic, some of the biggest critters I've seen. We also went up to the top of the mountain to this wonderful hotel that had a Greek auditorium. Every suite there had it's own infinity pool. We saw fields of wild orchids and toucans. It was so beautiful, there were lots of waterfalls also.

Trisha

Thanks Tricia, Virgil, and Beth for all your advice. I have learned so much from the CC Boards. Takes a lot of the concerns out of travelling.

We are looking forward to a wonderful stop in Costa Rica. Time can't come soon enough (Sept).

Sandra

sandydownunder: So glad that you enjoyed the review. You are going to have such a wonderful time. I am envious and wish we were going with you.

If you have any questions at all don't hesitate to ask.

Trisha

Hi Trisha,

Apologies for spelling your name incorrectly.

In Boca Da Valeria you just walked around. We will be there for a short time 8am-2pm.Were there any tours to do in this port? If not I think we could do what you did and hope we see the pink dolphins too.

Sandra

Dear Sandydownunder:

No worries about the name. If you want to give me your e-mail address we can send you some pix of Boca de Valeria.

I'll try to explain a little. There was difficulty getting off the tender due to the low waters. The "dock" was still being worked on, I think they build a new one twice a year. Once we got on land two little girls took me by the hand and took me around the village. I thought this was the sweetest thing, it lost some of it's sweetness when they insisted I pay them at the end.

Be certain to bring some small stuff for the kids. They delight in it so very much. Several of our group had brought crayons, pencils, etc. Others brought travel sizes of shampoo, conditioner and hand lotion. I gave them a stack of emery boards (I wasn't prepared) and they seemed happy with it. One their favorites was the pillow chocolates and fruit. Several women brought all the pillow chocolates they had received and split them amongst the children, the look on their faces was wonderful.

There are NO tours of any kind there. You will find that the inhabitants are dressed in costumes of feathers and loincloths. You are expected to tip if you take pix with them. There are also a few folks with monkeys and macaws. Again, if want pix, you pay. NOt much, usually $1.

I envy you the wonderful, fantastic sights you will see.

Trisha

PS: Watch out for the giant tarantulas. We have some great pix of one!

• 2 years later...

Has anyone been to Puerto Caldera recently, who can tell us if there is much shopping at the pier?

We will be going on the Macaw Sanctuary tour, and were wondering if there would be much to shop for near the pier when we return.

Any input is appreciated.

DavidnSteph

Just got back yesterday and had a stop here. Yes there is a shopping area at the pier. The prices were not too bad. We did a private tour with tucan limos and had a great time. We went to Tourbari park and then went into town to see the fruit stands and stopped at a local grocery store. The main road was under construction and we ran into another group who had tried to make it to San Jose but had run short of time due to the construction stops and never made it. 2 buses of ships tours were late getting back also. We had allowed an extra hour of travel time to ensure that we weren't late and we made it back with plenty of time. Have a great time!

Just got back yesterday and had a stop here. Yes there is a shopping area at the pier. The prices were not too bad. We did a private tour with tucan limos and had a great time. We went to Tourbari park and then went into town to see the fruit stands and stopped at a local grocery store. The main road was under construction and we ran into another group who had tried to make it to San Jose but had run short of time due to the construction stops and never made it. 2 buses of ships tours were late getting back also. We had allowed an extra hour of travel time to ensure that we weren't late and we made it back with plenty of time. Have a great time!

We really appreciate you taking the time to post about your stop in Puerto Caldera. We'll see what kind of souvenirs there are. Hopefully some locally made items.

Thanks.

DavidnSteph

Archived