Theater Shows

CJANDH

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, benjaminnicholas said:

But see, you're just thinking of you...  And that's not what we're discussing.

You'll be long dead when Viking still remains.  That's the very issue we're touching on:  How the line will change to suit younger pax and a new generation with the money to travel well.

There's usually only a few people younger than me on board, it seems to be mostly the older the passenger the more keen they will be about the shows. 

My playlists are mostly rock/metal, so perhaps I am an example of a younger passenger Viking might be after but who they have lost unless there is a very good offer on, mostly because of the increase in the amount of music in the lounges, which now seems to be aimed at those of my parent's age. 

We watch the lectures in our room on catchup, at a time convenient to us. If we want music we put our choice on via a phone and Bluetooth speaker, or ear buds. No reason to go to the theatre. If we want to listen to ABBA or Beatles songs, or whoever, we play original artists at a time to suit ourselves, too much else to do to waste time on mediocre cover versions

Edited by KBs mum
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

There's usually only a few people younger than me on board, it seems to be mostly the older the passenger the more keen they will be about the shows. 

My playlists are mostly rock/metal, so perhaps I am an example of a younger passenger Viking might be after but who they have lost unless there is a very good offer on, mostly because of the increase in the amount of music in the lounges, which now seems to be aimed at those of my parent's age. 

We watch the lectures in our room on catchup, at a time convenient to us. If we want music we put our choice on via a phone and Bluetooth speaker, or ear buds. No reason to go to the theatre. If we want to listen to ABBA or Beatles songs, or whoever, we play original artists at a time to suit ourselves, too much else to do to waste time on mediocre cover versions

We're on the younger end too and my playlist leans to rock also, so the non-stop "easy listening" music in all the bars tends to put me to sleep after a while!  I really, really wish they would have some rock music (recorded is fine - it doesn't have to be live) in one of the areas in the afternoon/evening!  If I could put in a wish list, it would be that the Aquavit Bar planned rock in the afternoons/evenings - that way we could have some cocktails and enjoy the view to some Up-Beat music.  And yes, I know I'm about to get jumped on by all the classical music fans on CC about how it's lovely and relaxing and beautiful, etc etc.  Agree, it is lovely and relaxing and beautiful, but I can only take so much before I just want someone to  🎵Start Playing that Old Time Rock n' Roll!🎵 😎

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KBs mum said:

We're probably your parents age or older and agree 100%.

Watching lame cover bands and cheesy shows is a circle of hell we avoid.

My phone is full of music and movies and I bring a Bluetooth speaker. I just wish there way a way to stream my movies to the TV.

Having just gotten off Polaris, I understand how polarizing the entertainment can be.

The classical duo was great for an evening, but they had a very repetitive repertoire.  We heard the same arrangements at least a dozen times.  It also didn't help that the pianist was very strong, but the cellist kept hitting a lot of sharp/wrong notes.  No bueno.

The contemporary couple was somehow able to suck the life out of every single song they sang.  It reminded me of Muzak on horse tranquilizers.

The entertainment director meant well, but was hampered by putting on a one-woman show that had the production value of typical high school.  Bad sound, bad/harsh lighting, no use of that gigantic, expensive projector in the Aula.  A fully missed opportunity to do something fun.

All said, the ship had more than enough technical capability to do solid entertainment, but it felt like they just threw things together.  Viking is charging too much money for it to feel this way.

You bet I mentioned all of this on the survey (written survey, no digital option, oy vey).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BlairsvilleCruiseGirl said:

We're on the younger end too and my playlist leans to rock also, so the non-stop "easy listening" music in all the bars tends to put me to sleep after a while!  I really, really wish they would have some rock music (recorded is fine - it doesn't have to be live) in one of the areas in the afternoon/evening!  If I could put in a wish list, it would be that the Aquavit Bar planned rock in the afternoons/evenings - that way we could have some cocktails and enjoy the view to some Up-Beat music.  And yes, I know I'm about to get jumped on by all the classical music fans on CC about how it's lovely and relaxing and beautiful, etc etc.  Agree, it is lovely and relaxing and beautiful, but I can only take so much before I just want someone to  🎵Start Playing that Old Time Rock n' Roll!🎵 😎

Absolutely agree with you.  We aren't so much on the "younger end", but would like some of the music to be more up-beat.

We disembarked Orion yesterday after a 5 week cruise. The guitar player in the Explorers Lounge played 3 sets every evening -- the same tune, just different lyrics.  It was mind-numbing.

• Like 3

Was it the female guitarist (we disembarked in Hong Kong)?  In our opinion she was too loud and the music was intrusive rather than background particularly at busy times.

Although we have no issue with the music currently on Viking in the theatre and in the lounges, because we tend to be very "easy listening" at home but still with a very broad appetite for many genres.  We tend to listen to acoustic hits, and easy listening, with a lot of solo piano style from different artists.

BUT, as @benjaminnicholas said:  The contemporary couple was somehow able to suck the life out of every single song they sang.  It reminded me of Muzak on horse tranquilizers.  

I have never heard it said better.  I did not want to bring this up, but this couple is karaoke at best on all the cruises I have been on with Viking.  I am not saying that they do not have reasonably good voices, but the arrangements and song choices make every song sound the same.  This is a reason we don't go to Torshavn.

I also agree with @BlairsvilleCruiseGirl that there could be an afternoon or early evening of Rock in the pool bar area, or even the rarely used Wintergarden.  We have seen some really "rock'n" shows at the pool in front of the big screen and this could be a great area for this.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, benjaminnicholas said:

Having just gotten off Polaris, I understand how polarizing the entertainment can be.

The classical duo was great for an evening, but they had a very repetitive repertoire.  We heard the same arrangements at least a dozen times.  It also didn't help that the pianist was very strong, but the cellist kept hitting a lot of sharp/wrong notes.  No bueno.

The contemporary couple was somehow able to suck the life out of every single song they sang.  It reminded me of Muzak on horse tranquilizers.

The entertainment director meant well, but was hampered by putting on a one-woman show that had the production value of typical high school.  Bad sound, bad/harsh lighting, no use of that gigantic, expensive projector in the Aula.  A fully missed opportunity to do something fun.

All said, the ship had more than enough technical capability to do solid entertainment, but it felt like they just threw things together.  Viking is charging too much money for it to feel this way.

You bet I mentioned all of this on the survey (written survey, no digital option, oy vey).

Agree with all your points.  We don't cruise just to have a floating bedroom to sleep in, we like to stay out, dance and enjoy a bit of nightlife.....or not.   We have mostly sailed on Celebrity, if you want to stay out late you can, if you want to go to what were very good shows (on or last cruise) you can....if you don't want to stay up, well you don't have to.  At least on other cruise lines there are options, Viking provided none...learning to play bridge on a sea day is something I don't have to pay $100's per day to experience.  Additionally, the food on Celebrity, especially the choices, were better than our Viking Cruise, both cruises last year.  BTW Viking wasn't all bad, the ship was beautiful, and the employees were very good, itinerary was great   Viking does have "free' excursions but most were sub par.  

We are young for Viking cruisers, at least on the one Viking cruise we have been on and have a good 20 plus years of vacationing left in us.  Never say never, but we will not cruise Viking again until they start improving the ship board experience.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Hockeyump said:

Was it the female guitarist (we disembarked in Hong Kong)?  In our opinion she was too loud and the music was intrusive rather than background particularly at busy times.

Yes, a female guitarist.

Interesting thread. 

We skew a bit younger than average on Viking Ocean with several possible decades ahead of us (God willing), but I would loathe a rock ‘n roll show. We like Viking because it’s not the glitz ‘n party experience of so many other cruise lines. If the newly public Viking does decide to go that route, I sincerely hope it’s easy to avoid without having to hide in one’s stateroom. 

That said, we quickly decided the evening shows of covers and show tunes weren’t for us, either. Loved the local musicians when they came aboard on a couple of stops, but aside from those we stayed out of the theater. 

And I’d have to say we weren’t wowed by the performers scattered around the ship on our last cruise. The guitarist in the Explorer Lounge (playing the inevitable James Taylor and Jim Croce covers) was indeed too loud, and the classical duo in the Living Room was just plain bad. As in, wrong-notes-and-screechy-violin bad. I don’t recall the music being this amateurish previously.  

Which is a shame, because I’d enjoy some competent classical music or some lovely jazz piano or acoustic guitar, especially at a more moderate (background) volume. 

Barring that, I’m fine with silence. I actually like silence in public spaces and frankly miss it these days. But I know I’m in a small and vanishing minority there.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, tocruiseguy said:

Agree with all your points.  We don't cruise just to have a floating bedroom to sleep in, we like to stay out, dance and enjoy a bit of nightlife.....or not.   We have mostly sailed on Celebrity, if you want to stay out late you can, if you want to go to what were very good shows (on or last cruise) you can....if you don't want to stay up, well you don't have to.  At least on other cruise lines there are options, Viking provided none...learning to play bridge on a sea day is something I don't have to pay $100's per day to experience.  Additionally, the food on Celebrity, especially the choices, were better than our Viking Cruise, both cruises last year.  BTW Viking wasn't all bad, the ship was beautiful, and the employees were very good, itinerary was great   Viking does have "free' excursions but most were sub par.  

We are young for Viking cruisers, at least on the one Viking cruise we have been on and have a good 20 plus years of vacationing left in us.  Never say never, but we will not cruise Viking again until they start improving the ship board experience.  

Originally Viking intentionally avoided all of the games and parties usual on cruises, intentionaly  aiming for a river cruising at sea atmosphere on board. Less being more, with a European hotel like environment. 

Seemed to work, the ships were allways fully booked two years ahead. 

We are looking for alternatives because the amount of entertainment and events are increasing and are now intrusive. 

Celebrity is our idea of hell

• Like 2

The problem is Viking trying to be all things to all people, which never works, either they stick to the original concept or they change to a more mainstream concept, but whichever it is they need to do it well, rather than being mediocre at both simultaneously 

16 hours ago, tocruiseguy said:

I don't think that age has anything to do with liking Viking or not.  Viking has never positioned themselves in the market as a nightlife ship, and I am personally hoping that they do not.

No disrespect to your comments, and no disrespect meant by this statement, but Viking is not the cruise line for you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KBs mum said:

The problem is Viking trying to be all things to all people, which never works, either they stick to the original concept or they change to a more mainstream concept, but whichever it is they need to do it well, rather than being mediocre at both simultaneously 

Viking has its vibe.  It is what it is.  

I / We personally hope that the IPO will not change the vibe that Viking is...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It seems like there are two categories here, the lounge music and the music in the theater.  I sort of like what I've heard in the Exp. lounge but haven't really heard much music in the theater, except for the CD guy on a VE Great Lakes cruise sing and that was almost funny to me, but a lot of people seemed to really like it.  I wouldn't really be able to explain his music 'style'.

Edited by rmalbers

On 5/17/2024 at 8:05 AM, CDNPolar said:

I don't think that age has anything to do with liking Viking or not.  Viking has never positioned themselves in the market as a nightlife ship, and I am personally hoping that they do not.

No disrespect to your comments, and no disrespect meant by this statement, but Viking is not the cruise line for you.

That's a surprising generalization.

We would like more upbeat music in one of the lounges and Viking is the cruise line for us.

As you point out, Viking "has never positioned themselves in the market as a nightlife ship" and we aren't into the nightlife.  But, just as an example, having someone perform in the Explorer's Lounge who pretends to be talented playing the same music over, and over again with different lyrics?  Or, another example, having a percussion, brass accompaniment on your iPad as you play the guitar?  Maybe Viking could do better.

On some of our cruises, Viking has provided very good lounge entertainment -- Mark, the guitar player is a fine example.  

3 hours ago, millybess said:

Or, another example, having a percussion, brass accompaniment on your iPad as you play the guitar?

Ah yes, technology has led to backing tracks everywhere.  It's not just Viking.  It seems to be both the new cruise ship and lounge thing.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, ericosmith said:

Ah yes, technology has led to backing tracks everywhere.  It's not just Viking.  It seems to be both the new cruise ship and lounge thing.

Yes, that's for sure.  The house band on Celebrity has shrunk each time I have cruised on one of their ships.  I think it is NCL that is going to stop theater 'broadway' style shows.   I assume it's a cost savings thing but it might also be that they can't find performers who will get on cruise ships.

Edited by rmalbers
  • Like 1