Plant based (vegan) options for Pride of America?

Hello,

After numerous cancellations of our Pride of America bookings throughout covid and life getting in the way after they started sailing again, we're considering them for this once-in-a-lifetime cruise. 

We are plant based and can usually maneuver our way around restaurant menus - with mixed results. Haven't sailed NCL in years so wondering if they have taken a step in the veggie direction at all, on this ship in particular. 

Is it the same old "talk to them on the first day to see what they can pull together routine"? I'm hoping given the price of this itinerary (plus flights!) that their chefs are competent and can deliver something besides pasta with red sauce every night. Not looking for any breakthroughs and would be happy with Asian/Indian options. But since this is an American crew I may be expecting too much!

Thanks for any insights you may have.

5 hours ago, markwfpb said:

Hello,

After numerous cancellations of our Pride of America bookings throughout covid and life getting in the way after they started sailing again, we're considering them for this once-in-a-lifetime cruise. 

We are plant based and can usually maneuver our way around restaurant menus - with mixed results. Haven't sailed NCL in years so wondering if they have taken a step in the veggie direction at all, on this ship in particular. 

Is it the same old "talk to them on the first day to see what they can pull together routine"? I'm hoping given the price of this itinerary (plus flights!) that their chefs are competent and can deliver something besides pasta with red sauce every night. Not looking for any breakthroughs and would be happy with Asian/Indian options. But since this is an American crew I may be expecting too much!

Thanks for any insights you may have.

It might be worth contacting them ahead of time. When is your cruise? My wife is vegetarian and we usually get in touch with them before the cruise so they're aware.

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure if this is where the Access Desk Form is warranted, but definitely contact NCL ahead of time (like a month maybe) to see where it is that you should put in the request.

There are definitely plant-based options, I remember seeing those when I was scouring the menus for allergy purposes.

The PoA has the same exact fleet-wide food, though, and sadly they were not as up to the task of special dietary needs as the other NCL ships I was on. Go to https://profcruise.com/ncl-menus-2024/ (Prof cruise menus) and you'll be able to see the approximation of what's offered and what you might be able to eat.

One caveat on all NCL ships is that certain items are "sourced off ship", meaning they get loaded on the ship already made. So NCL can't guarantee the ingredients.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

It might be worth contacting them ahead of time. When is your cruise? My wife is vegetarian and we usually get in touch with them before the cruise so they're aware.

Thanks, the cruise is March 2025, but I'm questioning if I should even keep the booking rather than roll the dice on what we may wind up with every meal!

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Ellis1138 said:

I'm not sure if this is where the Access Desk Form is warranted, but definitely contact NCL ahead of time (like a month maybe) to see where it is that you should put in the request.

There are definitely plant-based options, I remember seeing those when I was scouring the menus for allergy purposes.

The PoA has the same exact fleet-wide food, though, and sadly they were not as up to the task of special dietary needs as the other NCL ships I was on. Go to https://profcruise.com/ncl-menus-2024/ (Prof cruise menus) and you'll be able to see the approximation of what's offered and what you might be able to eat.

One caveat on all NCL ships is that certain items are "sourced off ship", meaning they get loaded on the ship already made. So NCL can't guarantee the ingredients.

Whoa, thanks for all this info, It came through just as I was responding to DCGuy. 

I will check out the menus you linked to - it's good to know that some of the food is made off ship and not to order (like on an airplane?!). So the idea of making substitutions really isn't an option for those dishes. We can certainly pick around things we don't eat. 

It's enlightening that this ship in particular wasn't up for special needs as much as the others - at least in your experience. I guess PoA isn't "have it your way" Burger King!

Thanks again.

Edited by markwfpb

8 minutes ago, markwfpb said:

Whoa, thanks for all this info, It came through just as I was responding to DCGuy.

In my opinion, the PoA is best used as a floating B&B. Sleep there, get up, eat breakfast and then eat a really good, big lunch on each island so that all you need is maybe a salad or light dinner. The food on PoA is edible, but not even as good as standard NCL cruise ship fare. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, markwfpb said:

Thanks, the cruise is March 2025, but I'm questioning if I should even keep the booking rather than roll the dice on what we may wind up with every meal!

I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. My wife is vegetarian (not vegan, so she does consume cheese and other dairy products), and she's also kind of picky in what she eats, and we haven't had any trouble on any cruise finding good options for her. I've even seen NCL staff at the grills using separate pans for cooking plant-based dishes to order. I would find out who the manager of F&B is on the ship and have a talk with him/her.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ellis1138 said:

In my opinion, the PoA is best used as a floating B&B. Sleep there, get up, eat breakfast and then eat a really good, big lunch on each island so that all you need is maybe a salad or light dinner. The food on PoA is edible, but not even as good as standard NCL cruise ship fare. 

Very good point - and a good reminder that was the reason we booked in the first place pre-covid! We'll be off the ship a good part of the time. And this cruise isn't about the ship, it's about seeing so many islands with relative ease. Thank you!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. My wife is vegetarian (not vegan, so she does consume cheese and other dairy products), and she's also kind of picky in what she eats, and we haven't had any trouble on any cruise finding good options for her. I've even seen NCL staff at the grills using separate pans for cooking plant-based dishes to order. I would find out who the manager of F&B is on the ship and have a talk with him/her.

That's great to hear. We're not overly concerned about cross contamination but it's great to know that's even on their radar! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, markwfpb said:

That's great to hear. We're not overly concerned about cross contamination but it's great to know that's even on their radar! 

We have done a behind the scenes tour (freebie) and were shown the different colored knifes and utensils for different meats and the veggies.  NCL has moved away from frying (especially deep frying) as much as possible, so likely uses only vegetable oil, but I can't be certain on that.

• Thanks 1

At the very bottom of the Access Desk Form there is a section that specifically deals with food issues.

I would fill out the form so that your information can be tagged into your room key card.  Every time you present your card at a restaurant, your information will show up on their computer and printed out for the waiter.

Enjoy your cruise.  What a wonderful adventure. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

On the access form (I fill this in because of severe food allergies) it says:

image.thumb.png.46a012b65b8048c050cdea30c77364ee.png

I have found the chefs on board to be very knowledgeable and accommodating.

Edited by cricket200
comment
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Ellis1138 said:

Unless things have changed markedly since I worked there (and it's been a while), the things that were outsourced were things where consistency wa key, like burger and hot dog rolls, and some of the dessert "deatails" (candy trim, etc)

17 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

We have done a behind the scenes tour (freebie) and were shown the different colored knifes and utensils for different meats and the veggies.

This is a USPH/CDC requirement and followed by all cruise lines that call at US ports, as well as part of the EU's ShipSan program for the EU.  For POA, since it is a US flag ship, it follows the FDA program for cruise ships, not USPH, but they are almost identical.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone for all this latest info. (for some reason I wasn't getting notifications for this thread)

Looks like it really is up to the ship chef since the access form Cricket posted states they cannot accommodate vegan menus or meal requests(!).

It's good to know that it's baked goods and the like that are prepared off the ship. I was thinking it was complete dishes with sauce and other components which couldn't be modified.

Thanks to input here, I'm not going to dwell on the meals as much since this is a port intensive itinerary. But I'd have second thoughts for NCL when we plan to just enjoy the ship.

Thanks again.

I know you are vegan but this may help a little. I do a lot of adaptations on NCL.

I was just on the Jewel and here is a photo of my favourite meal served in Le Bistro. Not on the menu. I just asked the chef for the vegetables from the other meals.

IMG_5358.thumb.jpeg.96ad7df1bbc5c63305551f8b5cb980ba.jpeg

Does the Pride of America have Moderno? That is going to be the easiest place for you to eat vegan.

• Like 1