Change to Cunard bring on board alcohol policy?

Cunard’s bring on board alcohol policy has always been generous and for a long time the FAQs in the UK explicitly said that you could bring on beer, wines and spirits to celebrate special occasions with no mention of any limit. 

However, following P&Os recent change in policy to restrict to one bottle of wine or champagne with a max size of 750ml, Cunard’s UK FAQs now read:

You may bring one bottle per person of wine or champagne on board (subject to the age limit law of the port of departure) to celebrate special occasions (no larger than 750ml). However, if you wish to consume it in any of the dining rooms, alternative restaurants or bars then each bottle will be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00 (fee subject to change). There is no corkage fee if it is consumed in your suite or stateroom. Wine and champagne gifts purchased via the Cunard Gift Collection are exempt from the corkage fee - please show your gift card to your waiter.

Do we think that the policy on the ground will shift in line with the new FAQ? Or will things carry on as merrily as before with clanking luggage all round?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I don't believe it's new, that's been the wording for quite some time. As is often the case with Cunard, some things written down are not actually applied. Well, the corkage bit is correct.  People have also been reporting it as "new" quite a lot too!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2942338-new-cunard-carry-on-alcohol-policy/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2814091-taking-alcohol-onboard-cunard/

So the clanking can continue.

Edited by Pushpit
  • Like 2

Both of those threads quote the UK FAQs which up until now have explicitly allowed beers, wines and spirits, no unofficial policy needed. I’m aware that the US policy (and maybe in other countries) was always one bottle of wine. The current FAQs have been changed to match the new P&O policy which affects voyages from May 7th onwards.  

I still very much doubt the policy has changed. Among other factors, Cunard don't manage the security checks (or check-in) at their main ports.

A Cunard rep, via phone two Fridays ago, said there are no limits of beverages one can bring on board. He volunteered that info - I didn’t ask. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, NE John said:

A Cunard rep, via phone two Fridays ago, said there are no limits of beverages one can bring on board. He volunteered that info - I didn’t ask. 

The point being that any Cunard rep will only be able give the information that is pertinent at that time and not what may happen in the future - even if they know that there might be a change.

9 hours ago, NE John said:

That's exactly as P&O were replying to guests up until 7 May as well, even emailing.  Turned out it was total baloney there is now an embargo on spirits as Tacticalbanjo said.  There are A LOT of very unhappy campers about this change but the reason given is for Carnival to be uniform across their brands as "responsible sellers of alcohol".  They are quoting HESS guidelines.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

That's exactly as P&O were replying to guests up until 7 May as well, even emailing.  Turned out it was total baloney there is now an embargo on spirits as Tacticalbanjo said.  There are A LOT of very unhappy campers about this change but the reason given is for Carnival to be uniform across their brands as "responsible sellers of alcohol".  They are quoting HESS guidelines.

So how does it work? Do they frisk everyone at the end of the airbridge or rifle through people’s cabins or what?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

So how does it work? Do they frisk everyone at the end of the airbridge or rifle through people’s cabins or what?

No idea, I assume they will be thinking it over with the port authorities.  The first cruises under the policy have just sailed but as no one knew about it bar a few travel agents I'm guessing it wasn't enforced.  Most of the trade and cruise press were carrying the news on 3/4 May but I think it hit the mainstream of FB etc on Sunday/Monday.

Edited by Megabear2

41 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

They manage on other lines, presumably via security screening, which is why rum runners are a thing. Some other lines won’t even let you bring soft drinks on board. It’s all about the bottom line. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

So how does it work?

It's partly education and partly enforcement.

Scanning hand luggage at both embarkation and at ports of call is not an issue as that is already done - how effectively is another question.

All other luggage is scanned at embarkation and then it is up to the authorities in conjunction with Cunard/Carnival how this is handled but as othe3rs have already said this can be handled. It all comes down to where there is a will there is a way - it just depends on how strong the will is

Edited by david63

What a shame! 

We haven't traveled on Cunard yet, but my husband (who sadly won't be able to be with me on my first trip, a TA) has very much enjoyed discussing Cunard wine lists with friends who love the TA and do it instead of flying for business at least twice a year.  They'd been having fun planning a future trip AND the case or so they'd bring of specific wine and champagne (fulling aware of the corkage fee) for various wine-lovers' comparisons and sharing.

Posted (edited)

I've just boarded the QM2, clanking away with 4 bottles. Now admittedly they are water, but that's not obvious unless the bag was opened, which it wasn't. I also asked the port agency and someone from QM2 security who I recognised from a previous sailing. They both said there was no change in policy, and that it's ok to bring supplies on board.

Edited by Pushpit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

I've just boarded the QM2, clanking away with 4 bottles. Now admittedly they are water, but that's not obvious unless the bag was opened, which it wasn't. I also asked the port agency and someone from QM2 security who I recognised from a previous sailing. They both said there was no change in policy, and that it's ok to bring supplies on board.

Thanks, really useful to know, as I'd be sad to have my favourites confiscated!

Possibly, but it's outsourced port handling there too. And I would expect QM2 security to know since if anything is seized by security, they would store the items and then return them at disembarkation.

• Thanks 1