Pros and Cons of Deck 2

I have only been on 2 cruises .Disney Magic back in 2000 and last year on Carnival Mardi Gras.  Both times we were mid ship around deck 9. 

I would like to do a Disney cruise and when I find a lower rate for an inside cabin most of them are on Deck 2 . These are not rooms mid ship. I believe Disney also picks the room. 

I need the lower price . How much motion do you get from the lower deck staterooms either front or back of ship?  We had some pretty big waves on Mardi Gras sailed in mid Sept 2023 when a hurricane was fairly close to us.  I took medicine and was ok. 

On 5/8/2024 at 10:25 PM, srobinet63 said:

I have only been on 2 cruises .Disney Magic back in 2000 and last year on Carnival Mardi Gras.  Both times we were mid ship around deck 9. 

I would like to do a Disney cruise and when I find a lower rate for an inside cabin most of them are on Deck 2 . These are not rooms mid ship. I believe Disney also picks the room. 

I need the lower price . How much motion do you get from the lower deck staterooms either front or back of ship?  We had some pretty big waves on Mardi Gras sailed in mid Sept 2023 when a hurricane was fairly close to us.  I took medicine and was ok. 

Generally the areas with more movement are in the forward or aft of the ship.  Also, there's typically more movement the higher the deck.

We've cruised many times on the Magic (and Wonder) in deck 2 rooms.  Mostly we've have mid-aft or mid-forward rooms.  The motion was not bothersome to us.

Posted (edited)

If I have to make a choice between forward or aft, I'd pick aft. Forward, you'll get more of the pitching (up/down) motion. Another drawback about forward cabins on a lower deck is that you'll feel and sometimes hear more rumble/shuddering as the ship cuts through the water and waves crash on the hull of the ship. You may also hear some of the ship's machinery as the ship pulls into port and ropes are being deployed. 

Edited by Tapi