Is it worth booking cabin 1600 on the Jewel??

I don't have any basis for comparison between 1600 and the other "standard" GS suites, but we loved 1600 - we're pretty much confirmed aft/stern cabin addicts, though. From the pictures I've seen, the layout is quite a bit different - there is a short hallway into the cabin, and a chair at the end of it. The bathroom (looks like the standard GS bathrooms) is straight ahead. When you turn right, the bar area is like a big credenza, with the mini fridge and a bunch of storage drawers. The living room aread has a big sofa, coffee table, and comfy chair. The odd part of the layout is the bed/closet - the closet is quite a bit smaller than that in a JS (plenty big enough for two, though), and located right next to the bed & vanity. If two of you are getting dressed at the same time you'll end up having to dance around each other.

Would we book it again? In a heartbeat! Here are some photos (I hope): http://community.webshots.com/album/548912195NSbhAj

Hello Rick~~

I can't tell from your post whether or not you have ever occupied Stateroom 1600; have you ever seen it?

A couple of years ago, we sailed two cruises back to back on the Serenade. On that last day of the first cruise, we had a field day running around the ship taking photos of as many different staterooms as we could. We inspected both 1600 and 1552 on that expedition. 1552 is a standard square suite; your 1050 will be as well.

The most wonderful thing I see about 1552 looking at my photos is that the room is bright and airy with a lot of floor to ceiling windows/sliding door to balcony. It is a gorgeous room.

The thing about 1600 is that a goodly amount of real estate is wasted on the hallway that gets you into your suite---pretty, but useless. Once in 1600, the room seems smaller, and the "window wall" with balcony door is perhaps half the size of 1552.

Yes, the aft stateroom would have a more open balcony; the 1050 will have a large overhang.....1600 will have no traffic buzzing by its door, 1050 will be closer to the center of all the action.

We love aft staterooms: 1100 is our personal favorite, with a balcony that is far larger than 1600, but if I were in your shoes right now, I would stay with the stateroom that has the much larger windows and more spacious interior.

I hope this helps....

Bon Voyage~~

Leslie

I was too late to edit my prior post, so here's an additional thought:

I know from your prior posts that you are a “full suite” guy, but if you’re already a Diamond member of C&A (I’m assuming you are), the two stern JS cabins, 1602 and 1100, give you a lot of bang for your buck, including larger balconies than 1600. I would probably only go w/a GS if neither of those were available. Just my 2 cents.

I have not stayed in 1600 and 1050. But I´ve been in 1552 and 1554 on the Jewel and visited 1600. 1050 should be the same like 1552. You can compare the pics on my website (see link in the signature).

I would go with 1050. I really don´t care for the aft. cabins and prefer the midship location. Though the entering hallway to 1600 maybe nice it´s as earlier stated pretty useless. Other than this I think that 1600 is kind of odd shaped and I like the bar counter in the other GS better and would miss that in 1600. But all this is of course also coloured by my opinion about aft. cabins in general. If you like the aft. 1600 maybe the better choice for you.

Thanks for all of the replys! Jean, I don't want to too deceiving, but we have friends that are traveling with us that have 1050, and I noticed that 1600 was available, if the comments were good, I would have suggested that they move. I am going to recommend that they stay right where they are. The other thing that I like about them having 1050, we have 1060, which is on the other side of the ship, and so we can do sail aways from either side. And again, you are right Jean, we normally do, as on this cruise either OS or RS.

Rick

Archived