diving for money

captart49

I Remember When You Pulled Into Port And Alot Of Kids Would Be Aroud The Boat In Little Boats Diving For Money Has Anyone Seen That Lately

Capt. sounds like you've cruised on the old Carnival Mardi Gras in the 70's and 80's. Fun ship, and my first great cruise memories are aboard her.

The days of kids diving for money are gone. The security at ports prevents people from being that close to the ship.

I remember the kids walking up the dock lines and encouraging people to toss coins. They would leap from the ropes, dive into the water and return with the loot.

Fun memories, but just that. Those days are long gone.

We actually have the old Mardi Gras ship photos somewhere in a closet. I was a lean, mean college aged ___ machine in my humble opinion!

Take Care,

Lee in Houston

When in St. Lucia in '01 (I think), we took the water taxi to do some shopping. At the dock was an old man and a little kid. Kid was asking us to through some $ in and he'd get it. We declined. Now DW had purchased a nice straw hat and just as the taxi was coming into dock the wind comes up and there goes the hat, right in the water beside the taxi. I could have gotten it but my arm would have been crushed. Hat went under concrete dock. We said oh well lost the hat and heard a splash. The kid jumped in the water went under the dock and got the hat. He brings it up and hands it to DW and started to walk away. Get this, I had to stop him to give him a couple bucks for getting the hat. He didn't just have his hand out. I thought that was very nice of him.

Most of the countries discourage you giving money of any kind to kids. Often, the parents put the kids up to soliciting, begging, selling for money.

Just like the US, they want the kids in school learning and not making money for mommy and daddy... because once they are adult... they are uneducated and worthless to the economy...

In Cabo last year.. a little boy of about three or four, was running in the street back and forth and asking for money for food. Very dangerous and following us around. My traveling companions and I gave him a couple of dollars and asked where his mom was. She was across on of the streets, holding a baby and about ready to deliver another. She was drinking a pepsi. He ran across and she took the money and when he tried to take a drink of the pepsi..she smacked him...wow:eek:

I Remember When You Pulled Into Port And Alot Of Kids Would Be Aroud The Boat In Little Boats Diving For Money Has Anyone Seen That Lately

we sailed from Acapulco in April of '02 and there were kids in the water diving for money. They weren't in boats, just swimming.

DH & I threw them quarters, when we ran out of quarters and there was one persistent kid asking for more, dh took one of the chocolates they leave on your pillow, wrapped a dollar bill around it and threw it. The kid dove down, grabbed the dollar and chocolate and with a huge grin, surprised us by eating the chocolate.

when we told him we were all out, he moved further down the ship.

We haven't seen anyone doing that in the Caribbean since our first cruise in '81.

I think it was in St Lucia where I saw this -- many years ago on my first cruise. It wasn't where the cruise ship was docked, though. We were on a shore excursion on a catamaran, and it was at the dock where the cat landed. I specifically remember our tour guide pleading with us not to throw money for the kids to dive for. She said that the children were supposed to be in school and throwing money encouraged them to skip, and reinforced a behavior that she didn't want to follow them into adulthood.

Archived