Advice on Grand Hawaii and Polynesia excursions

snookie1

Have just signed up for the Grand Hawaii and Polynesia cruise Oct 27th.  We love Sea Days, and have never been to Polynesia before, though we have been to Hawaii a couple of times.  I know I saw a post here many months ago about this cruise, but am unable to find it again.  I was wondering what sort of weather to expect in Polynesia.  I am thinking hot and humid; am I right?  I wonder if anyone has advice about any of the Viking excursions; which did you enjoy most and which would you give a pass.  We have done panoramic tours of the Hawaiian Islands; are any of the optional excursions particularly worthwhile??  

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.☺️

• 3 months later...

We were on this itinerary in Nov/Dec of 2023. Hot and humid is our experience of what to expect in French Polynesia, along with the good chance of rain showers.

We did the included excursions in the Hawaii ports, except for Oahu, where we did a DIY trip to Pearl Harbor on the city bus. Entry to Pearl Harbor & the Arizona Memorial are free.

On Bora Bora, we took the Le Truck Island drive excursion and enjoyed the tour around the island, even though it was very warm. The driver did make a stop at a place where some vendors were selling trinkets, but no sales pitch or pressure. I just walked across the street and took pictures of the scenery. We also took the included Bora Bora cruise that afternoon and enjoyed that one, too.

We took the Moorea Panorama excursion, which was a bus tour around the island. The best part of that excursion was driving up the mountain for the view.

On Tahiti, we went on the optional Tahiti Jeep Adventure. While it was a nice trip, it was a VERY rough road, and a pretty pricey excursion for what it was. But I would probably do it again, mainly because I didn't want to visit Tahiti and just stay in the city. We also took the included walking tour of Papeete and got to see the governor's palace (I think that's what our guide called it).

On Nuku Hiva, we went on the Taipivai Adventure excursion and got to see a different part of the island than you see where the ship anchors, and we had some great panoramic views as we drove over the hills.

On Bora Bora, the tour vehicle was an open box body on a truck frame, which meant school bus type seats, a roof over your head and open windows for air flow.

On Moorea, we were in a regular motor coach.

On the other islands, the tour vehicles were small trucks with seats running fore and aft along the sides of the bed, with a canopy overhead. The tailgate had a small door and step, making entry and exit easy.

Just be aware that on these small, remote islands transportation will be different, and a little less comfortable than you will find in most of Europe or North America.

We found the excursions to be enjoyable. We try to go into these experiences with a positive mindset: "I am going to appreciate this place I have been fortunate enough to visit."

• Like 3

Has anyone experienced the 33 day Grand Hawaii and Polynesia cruise?

My longest trip has been a Transatlantic. And I might be going solo since it is quite a long one for those that are still working.

4 hours ago, unte Emm said:

Has anyone experienced the 33 day Grand Hawaii and Polynesia cruise?

My longest trip has been a Transatlantic. And I might be going solo since it is quite a long one for those that are still working.

Have sailed and cruised these waters many times, but never on a cruise as short as 33 days. Do you have any specific questions regarding the ports, route, etc?

We were on the Star last Nov / Dec and didn't find 33 days too long at all.  Weather at that time of year can be iffy as you're on the cusp of rainy season.  Seas weren't too bad for us but the following two 18 day Hawaii sailings had it kind of rough.  We really enjoyed the several themed parties Viking threw with local native foods and entertainment.  Pretty much stuck with the included excursions which were fine for us.  Attending afternoon tea each afternoon provided an opportunity to connect with a number of interesting folks.  Ship was only 87% full (possibly because it included Thanksgiving and returned just before Christmas) and price was heavily discounted toward the end with some paying as little as $4kpp. Heartily recommend.

• Like 1

We were on the same sailing as Baron Barracuda and our impressions were similar. We did take a few of the optional excursions in French Polynesia and enjoyed them. (see post #2 above). The three stretches of sea days gives ample opportunity to try the various offerings onboard, such as the lectures, daily trivia, the shipboard library, etc. It is a nice relaxing trip with some interesting stops along the way. We did attend the afternoon tea frequently and used that as a chance to visit with new people.

Also, dw spent six sea days taking kitchen table cooking classes (which used up our obc).  Enjoyed them tremendously.  She also did the long one in San Diego where they went ashore with chef shopping for ingredients and later enjoyed a five hour gourmet meal.

I was on the same sailing, solo. They organized several solo get togethers as well as dinners with the hotel manager, etc. Lots of solos. There was even one couple with a shipboard romance and I think they are still together. The rest of us solos enjoyed getting together for dinner and drinks. It was very enjoyable. I, also, did many cooking classes. It was a great trip. Hot? Yes. Humid? Yes. Beautiful waters? Yes, yes, yes.

• Like 1