What are chances of seeing whales from ship?

sashas_mom

Hi,

I am reviewing the excursions we chose for our Alaska cruise and am wondering if it is a mistake not to do one of the whale watching ones. I didn't reserve it for fear the boat might make me sick. However, after receiving the cruise planning book with my precruise documents, the boat doesn't look like I imagined. So, my question is, did you see whales from the ship? If there is a good chance we will, I wouldn't chance the whale watching excursion....however, if there is a slim chance we would see whales, I would really hate to miss that opportunity....I would appreciate your input. (and yes, I do take the pills as a precaution, but not sure that would help under these circumstances).

sasha'smom

I've only been on one Alaska cruise, and we did see whales from our ship, but they are very tiny and far away, because you're on such a big ship, and it's going by so quickly that you often just catch a glimpse (It's breathtaking all the same.) But it doesn't compare with a whale watch, where you can be literally yards away, and the boat will hang out nearby as long as possible. Some of the whale watches use relatively large boats which I imagine would be much more comfortable if you're prone to seasickness, although you sacrifice a bit in terms of how closeup you are to the whale.

For example, we did the whale watch with Captain Larry (Orca Enterprises), who uses a small boat (I would say there were about 12 passengers). When we spotted a whale, the boat pulled up and cut the engine while we waited for it to surface. We were a small group, right down at water level, and at times the whale was maybe 15 feet away. Across from us was one of the big cruise ship excursion boats, probably holding 50-100 people? It was watching the same whale, but had to stay about25- 50 yards away, and the passengers were probably at least 20 feet up from water level. I was so happy we were on the small boat. But then, I don't get seasick easily.

If you want to see whales, you need a tour. Most people just do not want to invest the considerable amount of time that is necessary for viewing from your cruiseship. Those photos in the cruise brochures- greatly enhanced. From your ship, you need to be happy with hours of looking for a 2 min. view. I always spend all my sailing time out on deck. I have been greatly rewarded with many many wonderful whale views- but usually I'm the only one out. :)

IF this is a possiblity for you- then this is what is needed- be out on a front deck, any side viewing cuts your chances by over 50%. You need to track from ahead. Necessary is a good pair of wide angle binoculars, not narrow field of view high power. I greatly enjoy my 10x50's.

Have proper attire, knit hat, gloves, layers, etc. You won't want to stay out if you get cold.

Know your areas- if you are on ship with a naturalist- Carnival, HAL, Princess, some Celebrity, hook up with them and find out viewing areas of the previous week and ask for their timing recommendations.

Overall, hot spots for humpbacks are- Icy Strait (not the cruise port but the sailing waterway area)- which you sail going in/out of Glacier Bay. From Skagway direction, be up at dawn, going toward Skagway- be out when you leave. Several hours before and after Juneau is worthwhile, heading into Juneau, I am always out a little before dawn. Inside Vancouver Island, southbound, I am out all this sailing day, have some possibility for orcas, which my sightings have run about 75%. On northbound trips, again, I am up before dawn, have also spotted orcas in this direction but way down on my precentages.

As for Juneau whale watching out of Auke Bay, it isn't known for a "bad" rough sailing area.

2 comments. we saw a whale right along the ship when we were docked in skagway. It swam around for about and hour and surfaced 5-6 times. What a sight from our balcony....but I hear this is rare.

As far as Cptn. Larry....AWESOME>>>>ABSOLUTLY AWESOME. We went on his boat last summer. He spotted a group of killer whales and went to the area. He killed the engine and told everyone they should surface any minute....wel they did, right beside the boat. We were so close that when one breached several people got wet from the splash. The we went and found several other arger whales. On the way back he took us past an isand with seals, then pointed out several eagles in the trees along the way. The group was small enough that everyone had a great view. Highly recommend his tour for the BEST experience.

Thank you all.

Budget Queen thank you for such specific, helpful information. What time do you suggest we set our alarm for? What time, before dawn do you head out to the front of the ship? We paid for a balcony so we could get some good viewing, but it sounds like we will still need to be up front. I don't mind and neither will my husband...it will be worth it, I'm sure.

Thank you all.

Budget Queen thank you for such specific' date=' helpful information. What time do you suggest we set our alarm for? What time, before dawn do you head out to the front of the ship? We paid for a balcony so we could get some good viewing, but it sounds like we will still need to be up front. I don't mind and neither will my husband...it will be worth it, I'm sure.[/quote']

Yes, for whale watching, you do need the front of the ship, not side viewing. I am up when it is light- about 1/2 hour before the posted dawn in your ship newletter.

:rolleyes:

Thank you all.

Budget Queen thank you for such specific' date=' helpful information. What time do you suggest we set our alarm for? What time, before dawn do you head out to the front of the ship? We paid for a balcony so we could get some good viewing, but it sounds like we will still need to be up front. I don't mind and neither will my husband...it will be worth it, I'm sure.[/quote']

I agree completely...we also had a balcony last year and loved it, BUT we did wake up early and headed for the bow of the ship. On our Summit cruise, Dirk, our Naturalist was always up there as well and guided us to where the action was! I will say there were more people than Budget Queen mentioned. I have a feeling we got up there later than we should have! We'll check the dailys and take her advice this time!

OOOh, since we'll be sailing the end of May, that's pretty darn early isn't it??? Actually though, being from the east cost will help. That 4 our time difference will be our friend on early morning sailing days! By the way, our 25 year old daughter was with us last year and she managed to party late into the night and was up early every morning. I don't know how she did it...she claims all the hours of sunshine help you not need sleep!:rolleyes: I'm not sure about that one???

Archived