Help with Rome itinerary

GAgaltravel

I'm traveling with my 22 year old daughter. My plan is to take the train from port to Roma San Pietro so we can see St. Peter's Basilica. After that, our "must sees" are the Coliseum, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Pantheon. We, of course, hope to see much more, but we want to explore on our own. I've found a good self-guided walking tour. My question: what's the best way to get from St. Peter's over to where these sights are? I don't mind walking, but I am also mindful of the short amount of time we have on a cruise stop. Is one location better to get to first? We don't have tours booked. We are just seeing them from the outside. TIA!

First, I would buy the BIRG ticket for 12 euros each, this covers your round trip regional train fare as well as the metros, buses, and trams in Rome.

From St. Peter's I would walk to the Ottaviano metro station and take the train (direction Anagnina) three stops to Spagna, for the Spanish Steps.

From here, walk to the Trevi Fountain, then follow the pedestrian pathway to the Pantheon.

Depending on how hot it is at this point you could walk to the Colosseum or take a bus.  If you walk the entire way it's just under two miles.  If you take the bus you chop off the last three quarters of a mile.

Once you're done, get on the metro at the Colosseum.  You have a choice here, you can the metro to Termini and walk three blocks to the regional train tracks for Lazio, or and take it in the opposite direction (direction Laurentina) to Piramide and get the train back at Roma Ostiense.

This map of the regional train and metro lines in Rome may be helpful:  mappa ferro e tram (feb 2024) (atac.roma.it)

On 5/21/2024 at 2:25 PM, euro cruiser said:

First, I would buy the BIRG ticket for 12 euros each, this covers your round trip regional train fare as well as the metros, buses, and trams in Rome.

From St. Peter's I would walk to the Ottaviano metro station and take the train (direction Anagnina) three stops to Spagna, for the Spanish Steps.

From here, walk to the Trevi Fountain, then follow the pedestrian pathway to the Pantheon.

Depending on how hot it is at this point you could walk to the Colosseum or take a bus.  If you walk the entire way it's just under two miles.  If you take the bus you chop off the last three quarters of a mile.

Once you're done, get on the metro at the Colosseum.  You have a choice here, you can the metro to Termini and walk three blocks to the regional train tracks for Lazio, or and take it in the opposite direction (direction Laurentina) to Piramide and get the train back at Roma Ostiense.

This map of the regional train and metro lines in Rome may be helpful:  mappa ferro e tram (feb 2024) (atac.roma.it)

This is so helpful! We are traveling for the first time also and we are trying to figure out how to get around while seeing all the sights on our own.  Thank you so much for the detail on this response! 

Glad to help.  A bit more detail, if you're up for it.

The BIRG ticket is sold by ATAC, not Trenitalia, so you don't need to wait on the line at the station ticket office, just go to the newsstand in the station, they sell it there.

The choice at the end of the day is strategic.  Going to Termini means a longer walk to the train (the Lazio regional tracks are three blocks from the main track head, where the metro leaves you) but it's your only chance for getting a seat.  By the time the train gets to Ostiense there will be no seats left.

On the other hand, going to Termini means you have to leave a bit earlier since the train leaves there earlier and you have to allow for the walk.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

Glad to help.  A bit more detail, if you're up for it.

The BIRG ticket is sold by ATAC, not Trenitalia, so you don't need to wait on the line at the station ticket office, just go to the newsstand in the station, they sell it there.

The choice at the end of the day is strategic.  Going to Termini means a longer walk to the train (the Lazio regional tracks are three blocks from the main track head, where the metro leaves you) but it's your only chance for getting a seat.  By the time the train gets to Ostiense there will be no seats left.

On the other hand, going to Termini means you have to leave a bit earlier since the train leaves there earlier and you have to allow for the walk.

Thanks for much for your responses! This is extremely helpful!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2024 at 8:12 AM, euro cruiser said:

By the time the train gets to Ostiense there will be no seats left.

If we were to spend the afternoon in Trastevere, would we have to take the train from Ostiense to Termini, then switch trains to Civitavecchia and the port? I guess I'm having trouble seeing what direction the port is to Rome on the map you posted. (extremely helpful map BTW!)

If you're in Trastevere it wouldn't make much sense to backtrack to Termini, just accept that you will stand for all or part of the journey.

If you look in the center left of the map you'll see a yellow/green box that says FL5/Civitavecchia Grosseto Pisa.  That's the line that comes from Termini, stops at Ostiense, Trastevere, San Pietro and Aurelia on the way to Civitavecchia.