Jump to content

Travel cancellation insurance for Canadians


Recommended Posts

Considering NCL is not offering trip cancellation insurance to Canadians anymore who are travellers using now?  We live in BC and the average cost to cover a $22000.00 cruise is around $1700.00 for two seniors. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, armwinder said:

Considering NCL is not offering trip cancellation insurance to Canadians anymore who are travellers using now?  We live in BC and the average cost to cover a $22000.00 cruise is around $1700.00 for two seniors. 

 

I recommend you ask/research on the Cruise Insurance forum here on CC.  It's a good resource.

 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

We're in Alberta and use TD for our annual travel insurance. I was just checking our trip cancellation, and the max payout per person is $2500.00CAD per person and $5000.00CAD per family, way less than what you mentioned, although you can call in and add $1,000, $2000 or $5000 per person, per trip, in additional trip cancellation.

Edited by kapper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We used manulife for our upcoming Regent cruise.  It also had a cancel for any reason clause (up to 50% I believe) but it had to be booked within a few days of booking the cruise.  Our cruise was similarly priced and I believe the cost of policy was a bit over $2000.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, armwinder said:

Thank you all for the inputs and advice. I guess $1500.00 premium on a $22000.00 cruise is in line. 

 

It "sounds" in line to me (although we don't purchase insurance since our trips are much cheaper).

 

For a $1500 premium on a $22,000 vacation that is a factor of about 1/15 - and it seems reasonable that for seniors, roughly every 15th trip might need to be cancelled.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is an inline cost for sure and you will also find that their are not many "deals" out there for insurance in Canada.  All the carriers are competitive in their pricing.

 

Just be careful that you know about how the insurance deals with pre-existing conditions and if you even have coverage for those.

 

We have opted to go now for Blue Cross annual package.  For two of us we pay about $1,300.00 CAD total for an annual package of medical, cancellation, and interruption.  This is for as many trips of 17 days or less that we take in a 12 month period.  

 

The max payout however on this policy is $5,000.00 per person, but you can purchase a top up if you want per trip.  We don't do the top up.

 

This annual package saves us several thousand a year than if we were to insure each trip.

 

We hedge a bit...  Our preferred cruise line - Viking - has final full payment 180 days before sailing.

 

There are however no penalties until 120 days in advance and then the amount Viking keep is a sliding scale down to no refund 30 days out.

 

We hedge that we are pretty much fully covered by Viking refund and insurance coverage until about 60 days out on most cruises.

 

Yes, something could come up in that last 60 days that could cost us some money that the insurance does not cover, but we also have a credit card that covers $2,500 per person, so effectively we have $7.500 per person.  We are not going to lose much at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I've not used them yet, but based on the prices I've been quoted and the terms of coverage stated, I do think the company travelguard.ca is well worth a look. I've used Manulife in the past and been happy enough although I've never claimed before. I'm planning a ten week marathon trip and although my medical coverage is fine I wanted decent cancellation and interruption on this. It's not quite 2/3 of the Manulife cost, but it's as close as damn is to swearing.

 

I should mention my wife and I are seniors, I don't know if they would be as competitive for younger people only in their 50s, but I'm so used to being heavily loaded due to age this was a nice surprise.

Edited by Dunchues
Factual addition
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Dunchues said:

I've not used them yet, but based on the prices I've been quoted and the terms of coverage stated, I do think the company travelguard.ca is well worth a look. I've used Manulife in the past and been happy enough although I've never claimed before. I'm planning a ten week marathon trip and although my medical coverage is fine I wanted decent cancellation and interruption on this. It's not quite 2/3 of the Manulife cost, but it's as close as damn is to swearing.

 

I should mention my wife and I are seniors, I don't know if they would be as competitive for younger people only in their 50s, but I'm so used to being heavily loaded due to age this was a nice surprise.

Thank you we will certainly look into it and let you know how they compare. Looks like 8-10% is the norm. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, armwinder said:

Thank you we will certainly look into it and let you know how they compare. Looks like 8-10% is the norm. 
 

Good luck, they are the best quote I've had so far, and I've kissed a lot of frogs. (No handsome prince yet though)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • Special Event: Q&A with Laura Hodges Bethge, President Celebrity Cruises
      • Hurricane Zone 2024
      • Cruise Insurance Q&A w/ Steve Dasseos of Tripinsurancestore.com Summer 2024
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Cruise Critic News & Features
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...