Cunard and Olsen compared?

stephen@stoneyard.co.uk

We cross or cruise annually with Cunard. We have travelled on both QE2 (my favourite) and QM2 in cabins ranging from bunk beds on five deck to penthouses on signal deck. We are from the UK. I am in my thirties (just), my girlfriend won't say. We do enjoy the Cunard experience.

My girlfriend likes the look of an Olsen cruise for 2007. The cruise is on Boadicia to the Orkneys, Faroes, Greenland and Iceland I think. The destinations appeal to her and the small ship appeals to me (I don't really care where the ship goes). We would book a standard outside cabin.

Any thoughts on how the Cunard and Olsen experience will be similar and different would be appreciated. What are there passengers like and what is the onboard ambience?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Never having travelled on the line....

But I do know a sometime and current Cruise Director on Fred. Olsen.

They have aimed directly at the middle-age to elderly British market. Most of their vessels are very old, excepting the Braemar (launched 1993).

We have friends in their fifties who went on Black "something" in the last month. They enjoyed it but remarked that there were a lot of old people aboard. No doubt including themselves!

Anyway, if the itinerary suits you, why not go for it?

We just booked with Swan Hellenic!

We just booked with Swan Hellenic!

Which has just been denuded of its only ship by Carnival (who have transfered it to Princess) and have put it up for sale. And they admit Swann Hellenic is profitable!! We cruise with them in May for the first and probable the only time.

All I can say of Olson, is you will have a very different cruise experience from Cunard.

David.

Hi Stephen,

Can't answer your question at the moment but should be able to do so later this year. After some twenty or so cruises and crossings with Cunard (on eight different ships) we've booked Fred Olsen's Braemar for a Baltic cruise this summer.

We sailed on the ship before, when it was Cunard's Crown Dynasty and it will be interesting to see how it has changed.

Your cruise is the sort of thing that Cunard used to do with Vistafjord/Caronia and even Royal Viking Sun.

We'll let you know how we get on.

Regards, Colin.

I am off on Braemar twice next year, both Transatlantics, the first is flying out of Manchester at the end of March and sailing from Jamaica to Dover via Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda and Azores and the other is October sailing from Southampton to Barbados via Portugal, Tenerife, St Maarten, Antigua and St Lucia.

I have been on the original, and best, Cunarders, Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Elizabeth 2 and loved them and sorry to see the first two leave us. Wouldn't touch QM2 with a 1000ft bargepole and might consider Victoria.

I prefer normal sized ships or small ones. Been on an 'all singing/all dancing' big ship and she was too big for my liking.

Oh and I'm in my 40's. :)

Thanks for the help. We have decided to go for it and book the cruise. The small(er) ship experience and itinerary are just too tempting. It will be interesting to try a non-Carnival brand too.

Thanks, Stephen.

Colin, Please could I take up your offer to let me know what you think of Fred Olsen when you get back. My email is Stephenmorton at btinternet dot com. Thanks.

Thank you. In the end we booked the cruise following the one we had intended. We are now going to the North Cape and Spitzbergen. We preferred the look of the ports. We booked a balcony cabin but I dont think it will get much use. Average daily maximum temprature at that time of year is 4c. I am looking forward to trying Olsen and comparing them with Cunard.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Archived