Canadian Customs agent strike

Posted (edited)

Be aware that the Canada Border Services could possibly go on strike on June 6th.  The delays in Vancouver airport will be horrendous.  They are still in negotiations and hopefully they settle before then.  96% of their membership voted to strike.  It’s pretty tough to get 96% of  people to agree on anything, so things must be very bad in Canada.  

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/canadian-border-workers-could-strike-as-early-as-june-6

Edited by Host Kat
Added the link.

12 hours ago, georgetheblue said:

Be aware that the Canada Border Services could possibly go on strike on June 6th.  The delays in Vancouver airport will be horrendous.  They are still in negotiations and hopefully they settle before then.  96% of their membership voted to strike.  It’s pretty tough to get 96% of  people to agree on anything, so things must be very bad in Canada.  

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/canadian-border-workers-could-strike-as-early-as-june-6

I do hope that was said in jest ;o) Actually, 96% in a strike vote where I come from is quite normal. Strike votes with powerful unions like police, firemen, ambulance/paramedics, teachers, liquor store workers, nurses, government employees, large private corporation workers etc usually usually have overwhelmingly high percentages like this.

Re the CBSA, keep in mind that they are definitely considered an "essential service" so a certain level of operation must be retained, but yes, border issues will be horrendous for the duration of the strike. That being said, once this strike happens, it will probably be ended quickly; the last strike a few years ago ended after 36 hours. We're keeping an eye on it for sure, we drive down to Boston for a cruise on July 13. I wouldn't expect any issues getting INTO the US from here, but if the strike in on during our return a week later, it would take us MANY hours to get back across, not the usual 60 seconds....

On 5/31/2024 at 8:06 AM, lx200gps said:

I do hope that was said in jest ;o) Actually, 96% in a strike vote where I come from is quite normal. Strike votes with powerful unions like police, firemen, ambulance/paramedics, teachers, liquor store workers, nurses, government employees, large private corporation workers etc usually usually have overwhelmingly high percentages like this.

Re the CBSA, keep in mind that they are definitely considered an "essential service" so a certain level of operation must be retained, but yes, border issues will be horrendous for the duration of the strike. That being said, once this strike happens, it will probably be ended quickly; the last strike a few years ago ended after 36 hours. We're keeping an eye on it for sure, we drive down to Boston for a cruise on July 13. I wouldn't expect any issues getting INTO the US from here, but if the strike in on during our return a week later, it would take us MANY hours to get back across, not the usual 60 seconds....

Actually I'm pretty sure the last 'strike' ended in about 18 hours. 

They're still talking and I'm not hearing much in the way of rhetoric. The fact that they were in a legal strike position on Thursday and delayed it until Friday tells me they are still talking.

I agree with you the lines entering the country will be horrendous until the end of the strike. However, they can't cut off service and they can't shut down the airport.

On 5/30/2024 at 4:12 PM, georgetheblue said:

Strike votes sre like grand jury indictments. You can indict a ham sandwich and any union can get big margins in a stoke vote or they would never hold one