Cruisetours and formal dining

stired

I actually have 2 questions. My husband and I and two friends want to cruise Alaska next summer and, since we have never been there, we were going to book a Cruisetour. I have read several messages here that say cruisetours aren't so great - but I am definitely wary of trying to book this myself and having to deal with luggage transfers, etc. I'm thinking that for the 1st trip to Alaska, a cruisetour might be the way to go. I know exactly want I want to see and have pretty much nailed down an itinerary. Any thoughts?

2nd question - we are looking at HAL and Princess. I am leaning towards HAL because of their smaller, more intimate ships. However, all 4 of us are definitely of the "casual" style. Can someone give me advice regarding formal dining requirements of both lines and whether they both have good optional casual dining facilities? Thanks.

However, I have been on Hal and the have a older group of people normally. At least they did on our cruise to the Caribbean. I am 55 DH is 63. I am going this July on the Caribbean Princess for the first time. I have heard the Hal cruises are a bit more formal, but considering I have not had the pleasure yet of Princess I guess I will find out. I loved the Zuiderdam that we were on. YOu are right they are a smaller ship passenger wise but it was wonderful. Reguardless of what you decide I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

happy Cruising

we did a Princess cruise and cruise tour in July of '03 with 4 friends (6 of us all together).

We choose a cruise tour for several reasons -

we knew exactly where in Alaska we all wanted to go and picked a cruise tour that went everywhere we wanted to go

we are in our 40's and 50's and are done with any kind of "roughing it". We wanted to stay in hotels/motels of the type that Princess uses (and mostly they lived up to our expectations).

we didn't want to deal with the issues of who is going to drive (all three husbands would have wanted to), luggage, what time we should leave, etc.

We've never done a Hal cruise or tour, but my in-laws did and loved it. We thoroughly enjoyed our Princess tour - they handle the luggage and all details and keep all the worry from you. You get your room keys while on the bus or train - no standing in line registering, detailed directions on what to do with your luuggage, it really makes the whole trip stress free.

As far as the ship sizes - while we enjoy the "smaller" Sun class ships, we went on the Coral where there is an indoor swimming pool and never felt overwhelmed with size or people.

Enjoy!

2nd question - we are looking at HAL and Princess. I am leaning towards HAL because of their smaller, more intimate ships. However, all 4 of us are definitely of the "casual" style. Can someone give me advice regarding formal dining requirements of both lines and whether they both have good optional casual dining facilities? Thanks.

Princess has a 24 hour buffet, where you can dress casually, but we've never eaten there for dinner.

They offer personal choice dining, but while that lets you pick what time you eat it is in a regular dining room and you are expected to dress for the dress code of the night.

On a 7 night cruise Princess normally has two formal nights (cocktail dress or gown for ladies, suits or tuxes for gents) and the rest "resort casual".

Cruisetour is awsome! We did HAL but HAL and Princess are the two big ones in Alaska so I am sure that either oe would be great. We had our TA set it up and if you have a reliable one I would recommend that.

Holland America was super though! Make sure you get a balcony for this one and it is on the port side if it is a southbound route or starboard side if it's a northbound route.

Also, a bit of advice. Do the land portion first. You will enjoy the cruise portion more. And if you have the opportunity to book at Alyseka Resort, it is the best we have ever stayed in.

Have a great time! Wish it was us going.

Archived