Credit card insurance with a supplemental

Credit card trip insurance typically has a limit that is too low for a world voyage. Is it wise simply to purchase a separate policy that covers the remaining cost of the trip, then let the two policies coordinate in the event of a claim?

Hi Takoma,

If you are going on a long trip it's likely that your Credit Card's trip insurance won't cover you. For example, the Chase Sapphire card states that if the trip is longer than 60 days there's no coverage for your trip.

It's possible you could find a credit card that doesn't have a limit on the trip length. If so, make sure you see it in writing in the Terms and Conditions.

In addition, if you want specific recommendations on the plan to get for your World Cruise, email or call us. We currently have 566 customers on the 2024 and future World Cruises.

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1

20 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

If you are going on a long trip it's likely that your Credit Card's trip insurance won't cover you.

Amex Platinum covers a round trip up to 365 days, per their declaration.

More specifically, if the CC insurance limit is $10k, and I buy additional trip insurance through another company, will the two play nicely together and fully cover a loss of $20k?

11 minutes ago, Takoma said:

Amex Platinum covers a round trip up to 365 days, per their declaration.

More specifically, if the CC insurance limit is $10k, and I buy additional trip insurance through another company, will the two play nicely together and fully cover a loss of $20k?

Hi Takoma,

Wow. 365 days is good.

All the plans I know will cover to the insured trip cost if you cancel or interrupt your trip for a covered reason, but not all plans will. Some plans have wording that says (I'm paraphrasing) if any other insurance pays, then that plan won't pay.

Steve Dasseos

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2024 at 7:26 PM, Takoma said:

Credit card trip insurance typically has a limit that is too low for a world voyage. Is it wise simply to purchase a separate policy that covers the remaining cost of the trip, then let the two policies coordinate in the event of a claim?

Does your Credit card cover Medical ????

13 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Does your Credit card cover Medical ????

No, but my employer insurance covers overseas medical and evac.

4 hours ago, Takoma said:

No, but my employer insurance covers overseas medical and evac.

I'm just going to share my experience with you.

I also had a good health insurance policy from my work (BC/BS) that had an international rider.

I wanted more information about exactly what this policy did and did not cover, so I gave them a call with specific questions.

1. Am I covered for medical expenses? (Yes, at out of network, normal & customary, after co-pay)

2. Will you direct pay? (No, reimbursement only)

3. Are there any circumstances where you will advance pay if medical provider requires upfront payment? (No)

4. Once my emergency is stable, will you reimburse to bring me to a closer hospital near my home for continued care? (No)

5. If I should die in a foreign country, will you pay to repatriate my remains? (No)

6. I asked for more specifics about evacuation. (Their answer was very ambivalent. They made it sound like evacuation was just like an ambulance. They would pay to transport you to the closest facility qualified to care for you but that 1 time ride was the end of the coverage)

I'm sure there were other questions I asked but cannot remember them all. At the end of the conversation, I decided that what would best fit my needs would be to cover my travels with a good travel insurance policy and to keep the BC/BS policy as a back-up in case I didn't recover all expenses from the travel insurance policy. Which, I did have to use the BC/BS one time.

My recommendation is to give your work policy a call and ask about specific instances and their coverage and then do what best works for you.