Silver Shadow NE/Canada

commodoredave

One of the reasons we booked our upcoming cruise on the Silver Shadow to New England and Canada is that it calls at the Magdalen Islands, a rarity among cruise itineraries to this region. The New York Times agrees. In a recent story, the paper extolled the virtues of the islands including in this paragraph: “As you approach the islands by ship, the buildings and terrain spread themselves out before you like a living diorama. Up close, the buttes are particularly irresistible: Every one seems to have a well-worn footpath through tall grass, sometimes no more than a single leg wide. Up top, you can see it all: east shore, west shore, cliffs, dunes, lighthouses, steeples, houses, shops, fishing boats, clotheslines and, depending on the butte, most of the other islands in the chain.”

You can read the complete story and view the stunning photography at: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/26/travel/magdalen-islands-quebec-canada.html?campaign_id=24&emc=edit_tl_20240601&instance_id=125067&nl=travel-dispatch&regi_id=71604166&segment_id=168423&te=1&user_id=0cb3f635dfe903160978244a61854344

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Oh, thank you!   I knew nothing about this area when booking our trip, and am now excited to visit.  We are on the July 12 sailing.  You?  

1 hour ago, KY Deb said:

Oh, thank you!   I knew nothing about this area when booking our trip, and am now excited to visit.  We are on the July 12 sailing.  You?  

You’re welcome! June 18 sailing. Glad the story is of interest to you. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, commodoredave said:

You’re welcome! June 18 sailing. Glad the story is of interest to you. 

Thanks for posting the article.  Very interesting.

My wife and I will be on the June 18th sailing as well!  Our first SS cruise.

Edited by admranger

1 hour ago, admranger said:

Thanks for posting the article.  Very interesting.

My wife and I will be on the June 18th sailing as well!  Our first SS cruise.

Hope to meet you on the cruise. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

Hope to meet you on the cruise. 

Same.

I'm easy to spot:  Exceedingly handsome, charming, and modest.  🤣

Edited by admranger
  • Haha 1

On 6/12/2024 at 12:20 AM, 57 varieties said:

It is big enough for a small laptop. About 12x8x8 inches.

Thanks!  Super helpful to have the dimensions as well. Appreciate it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2024 at 2:00 PM, commodoredave said:

One of the reasons we booked our upcoming cruise on the Silver Shadow to New England and Canada is that it calls at the Magdalen Islands, a rarity among cruise itineraries to this region.

I thought of you when it was announced that we would be skipping this stop due to the weather situation.  Unfortunate.

1 hour ago, admranger said:

I thought of you when it was announced that we would be skipping this stop due to the weather situation.  Unfortunate.

Yes. We are very disappointed. However, we have decided to do a car trip through Quebec and Nova Scotia next year and take the ferry to Les Isles de Madeleine. We are trying to turn lemons into lemonade!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KY Deb said:

Was another port substituted for the Magdelan Islands when the weather was too poor to stop or did you have another sea day? 

It's another day at sea, so the two large "service dogs" will have to just take their walks onboard.

Yes...former show dogs, that now have little collar tags saying "Service Dog".  Cutely avoiding the "no pets" policy.

I pity the next guests in that cabin.

On 6/26/2024 at 5:24 PM, KY Deb said:

Please don’t tell me they’re in 623!!  That is just ridicules.  2 service dogs???   And I’m sure the animals were just dying to take a cruise!  So unfair to the dogs.  And where do they do their business on a ship ?  Gross.   

They are not service dogs by any normal description. These dogs pull their owners about, engage with and bark at other guests, and badger their owners for food when they are at the lunch restaurant. The owners oblige and drop food on the floor for them to eat. We have witnessed this. We have a cousin with a service dog. It does none of these things as it is trained and certified as a service dog. Service dogs do not behave this way.

• Like 3