Gibraltar Excursion

Sorry, can’t figure which forum Gibraltar belongs to.  We will be stopping at Gibraltar next year. Princess offers an excursion for gin tasting in the morning. If I look at the distillery direct, their tasting is from 4pm to 5:15. Our ship leaves at 6pm, and that would make me way too nervous to do. Anyways, I really would also like to do a top of the rock tour to see the apes as well as seeing the tunnels.  If I was to do the gin tasting in the morning, what is the best way to see the other sites? Unfortunately, Princess only seems to have tours in the morning. I would love to do the tasting direct as it’s about 1/3 the price as Princess. Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted (edited)

If you plan on riding the cable car to the top of The Rock, I would make this a priority in the morning because the lines midday can get very long.  If you don't care about your transport method, taxis will abound that offer tours of The Rock.  These will take you to the top observation level and make stops at St Michael's Cave, etc.  The last year the taxis were 40 Pounds per person, not really negotiable because The Rock is a preserve (because of the macaques) and charges per person admission.  

The Spirit of the Rock Distillery is near a taxi rank (by Holy Trinity Cathedral), so you could do the Princess excursion to the distillery, ask to be left behind, and take a taxi tour of The Rock.  Would not recommend taking the Cable Car midday because it can be up to a 2 hour wait for the ride up and not fun when it's hot.  The ticket booth for the Cable Car is a 15 minute walk from Holy Trinity Cathedral, past Trafalgar Cemetery.

Edited by SCX22
  • Like 2

We used Gibraltar Taxi Association and booked with several couples in our roll call.  They were excellent!

Go on your roll call and coordinate it.

We did a Premium rock tour.  Great.

Cable was closed that day, too windy. It happens quite often, even the airport was closed and flights diverted.  So happy we booked a rock tour.

https://gtagibraltartours.com

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rocker57 said:

Sorry, can’t figure which forum Gibraltar belongs to.  We will be stopping at Gibraltar next year. Princess offers an excursion for gin tasting in the morning. If I look at the distillery direct, their tasting is from 4pm to 5:15. Our ship leaves at 6pm, and that would make me way too nervous to do. Anyways, I really would also like to do a top of the rock tour to see the apes as well as seeing the tunnels.  If I was to do the gin tasting in the morning, what is the best way to see the other sites? Unfortunately, Princess only seems to have tours in the morning. I would love to do the tasting direct as it’s about 1/3 the price as Princess. Thanks for any suggestions.

Gibraltar is under Europe and then Other Mediterranean Ports.  We hired a private driver when we were there.  Drove us to the top of the Rock.  Saw the Barbary Apes, St Michaels Cave.  Saw a plane landing at the Gibraltar Airport where the runway is on a road between Gibraltar and Spain that is blocked off while a plane is landing, and then a tour of the town. 

• Like 1

Princess offered an afternoon tour around 1:00

It took us around the island to the lighthouse in a small bus and to the gin tasting.

It was inexpensive and such an entertaining tour. 

In the past we used Gibraltar Rock Tours and they gave a full day tour which covered every aspect of the rock and surrounding area.  Contact John Lopez at info@gibraltar-rock-tours.com for information.  Highly recommend this tour.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jadn13 said:

Princess offered an afternoon tour around 1:00

It took us around the island to the lighthouse in a small bus and to the gin tasting.

It was inexpensive and such an entertaining tour. 

Hopefully they will put one on later. How long ago was your cruise?

4 minutes ago, rocker57 said:

Hopefully they will put one on later. How long ago was your cruise?

April 1,  2024 was the day we were in Gibraltar  

Plenty of taxis available to take you to the top of the rock. We did the Princess tour, but next time I would do it on my own once I saw how easy it was and how many taxi operators were there offering the service.

• Like 1