Beer for 18-20 year olds on Caribbean sailings?

Posted (edited)

According to the NCL website, 18-20 year olds can drink beer and wine in international waters except for Alaska/Hawaii sailings. Has anyone had experience with this lately? When I chatted with an NCL rep, she said that is not true and that 18-20 years olds can NOT drink onboard with parent permission  on any sailing out of the US. 

Other reps told me that my 19 year olds could not be in their own room (next door to parent) and that they would not be able to check in online, but that was all wrong.  I am kind of losing faith in employee knowledge altogether.... 

I'm just looking for personal experience to set expectations.  I understand that they have to take the soda package either way.  Thanks!

Edited by cruisecaz
grammar

If they told you something that counters this section of the guest conduct policy they may want to review it -

The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on Norwegian Cruise Line ships is 21. Guests who are 18 - 20 years of age can purchase and consume beer or wine when the ship is in international waters (3 miles out of US territorial waters). The age modification does not apply for Alaska and Hawaii sailings. The parent or legal guardian must be onboard the sailing with the young adult and present themselves at the Front Desk so they can sign the form allowing the consumption of beer and wine only. A notarized Parent Consent Form or any other document allowing for temporary guardianship for the purposes of the sailing only will not be accepted.

It even says how to go about getting it set up (I bolded that).  Best suggestion - give that a try on board, the worst they can say is no...

https://www.ncl.com/faq/guest-conduct-policy

Follow @hallux advice. I did it twice, albeit a few years ago, for my kids. The first time they clipped a corner off the keycard indicating they could purchase beer/wine (the clipping disappeared with the new electronic keycards). The second time they actually printed a new keycard for my daughter that had PC printed on it (I’m guessing “parental consent”). We had to turn in the keycard we received at checkin and wait a few minutes for the new one to be printed onboard.  It was a simple, ten minute process at guest services. Both of the cruises were NYC embarkation to the Caribbean.

I doubt that much has changed since I last did this in 2020.  NCL is more than happy to sell $7 beers and $11 wine to 20 year old passengers (for your convenience, and with parental consent of course). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hello, I have sailed NCL twice to the Carribean, with my last sailing in March of 2023. I traveled with my son both times, and he was 18 on the first sailing and 19 on the last sailing. I had to sign a parental consent at guest services to allow him to drink wine/ beer and they did issue him a room card that had PC on it. He doesn’t really like beer, he just wanted to be able to have a mimosa once or twice. It wasn’t an issue, and honestly, I don’t think he was ever charged when he did order a drink, but I think he may have had 3 drinks the entire cruise 😂

1 hour ago, Suzanne818 said:

I don’t think he was ever charged when he did order a drink, but I think he may have had 3 drinks the entire cruise 😂

Not charged, eh?  In that case, I'm sure he informed you of every drink he had. 🤣