Facial tissues in staterooms?

11 hours ago, General Agent said:

A trivial question I know, but are there facial tissues in all cabins on Balmoral?

There always have been when we have been onboard, but we always take some spare with is to use when they run out.  They will be replaced next time the room is serviced, but not usual for a spare box to be left.

Many thanks, 

We thought they had in the past but not been with Fred for some years and in these times of cost cutting we did wonder if it was still the case.

Food to hear they still do.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, General Agent said:

Many thanks, 

We thought they had in the past but not been with Fred for some years and in these times of cost cutting we did wonder if it was still the case.

Food to hear they still do.

We have only been on Balmoral once since COVID, which was her second cruise back. Our last Fred though, was on Borealis, six months ago and no sign of tissues going then.  Fred has had less cutbacks than P&O and they still provide tissues. 

As you say though, things can always change, even just before your cruise.  Always worth taking some tissues, but we take them out of the box and pop into a plastic bag. Which takes little room in the luggage.

We are doing more with P&O than Fred now and find their smaller ships similar to Fred's newer ones and far better to have decent bars and a flexible dining option imo.  Fred has started doing all sorts of activities (choir, drama, art etc) in the various bars of a daytime as well, so it is very difficult to find somewhere to sit and have a drink during the day on a poor weather sea day.  We did two trans Atlantic crossings on our last cruise (Caribbean) and I was calling the crossings "The dark ages".  We have cancelled another long Fred cruise after that.  Some itineraries are still ok, but just not what Fred was to us in the past sadly.  Balmoral would be our preferred Fred ship from his current offerings though.

Edited by tring

Just back from Balmoral and nothing was missing turn down, choc, tissues face channels etc had a lovely time and always managed to get somewhere to sit and read. We liked the earth room for reading not too noisy and you can use the coffee card in there

• Like 1

Many thanks for your replies. It seems that we will have tissues but will take some just in case.

We are very much itinerary/destination driven rather than by cruise line but we do prefer smaller ships, which with less than limitless pockets, means older ships.

Not yet tried P&O but perhaps we should.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, July morning said:

Just back from Balmoral and nothing was missing turn down, choc, tissues face channels etc had a lovely time and always managed to get somewhere to sit and read. We liked the earth room for reading not too noisy and you can use the coffee card in there

True, there is lots of space to sit in the Earth Room on Bolette, or Botanical Room on Borealis and coffee/speciality teas are available in those locations, but no bar.  A long walk along the ship to get to/from a bar from there. Bars are available in the evenings, but not pleasant sitting in a bar in the day time when things like a drama group, or a choir are in full swing in our opinion.  All depends on personal preferences though obviously.

Is there an Earth room on Balmoral now, and if so, can you get a bar drink in there?  We have changed a cruise booked on Bolette for Balmoral, so we are hopeful, but the cruise we have changed to is in a good weather location, so hopefully can sit outside most sea days if the inside bars are not available then.  Balmoral has a lovely observation lounge at the front, with lots of comfortable seating near windows, which is one reason we prefer Balmoral.

Edited by tring

Yes we were able to order drinks as well as the coffees. We liked that room and a variety of different chair types/styles to suit everyone, I'm a shorty at 5ft 0in ha ha I was able to choose chairs that meant my feet touched the floor 😂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, July morning said:

Yes we were able to order drinks as well as the coffees. We liked that room and a variety of different chair types/styles to suit everyone, I'm a shorty at 5ft 0in ha ha I was able to choose chairs that meant my feet touched the floor 😂

We have two bigger Fred cruises booked on Balmoral, so are very pleased to hear that. 

The seating on Borealis and Bolette is one of the things we do not like about those ships, particularly in the observation lounges.  They are very uncomfortable as the seats are far to long front to back, so there is no support for my back without a cushion and Fred does not have cushions on the majority of those bigger chairs.  Balmoral seating has a lot of comfortable chairs imo.