2 Way Radios Onboard

jennbk28

Hello..

I was wondering if anyone has used a two way radio on any of their cruises. Wasn't sure if they worked or would be worth bringing. We are going with some other people and thought that might be the best way to get in touch with each other during the cruise.

Thanks

They work very well but get the ones with "Privacy Codes". If you use the cheap ones with 14 channels you will never find a clear channel to use. There are tons of radios on each cruise and the kids are chatting on every channel. The better radios have 38 privacy or security codes for each channel and you can set them as you wish, i.e. channel 6, code 17 can only communicate with radios set to the same channel & code.

Oh, don't use the call sign of "Mom" or "Dad". You'll find that you have 300 kids. :)

Thanks for all your advice. I am just considering it because it might be easier to locate our friends onboard if they aren't in their room rather than say having them paged. I imagine we would use it minimally, just never travelled with more than 1 other person.

We used walkie talkies on the ship. We only use them for "meet me here at this time" type brief conversations. But here's an interesting thing we noticed: On the Grand class ships, they worked very well, and also on the Regal. But on the Dawn and Sun, they work only in very limited areas, to the point where we gave up. I can only theorize its the construction and that there is more steel in the Sun class ships between areas or something. But this was consistent, so be aware before ya spend money on them.

BTW you can rent them at the pursors office (so perhaps return them if they don't work?) but after 2 cruises you've paid for them at Princess rates.

We never tried CB type things but I'd check with princess, to make sure you don't interfere with ship's radios. And in some areas, you can use cell phones, but out at sea these often do not work.

Have used them, they work most places on the ship, but found them most useful in port to stay in contact. (Wife shopping, me in a cafe having a beverage.)

They were very handy with four of us traveling. In Rome and Florence my brother and I got separated. The rule was, get separated, turn on the radio. It was worth carrying for the ease of finding each other. :D

We used ours last week on the Grand and I saw quite a few others using them too. We never took ours on port since we wouldn't let the kids get seperated from us. But we liked having the convenience of them and we were very careful as to not disturb the other cruisers with them.

We also used them on the Golden Princess last week. They worked great. We used them both on the ship and in ports. I know you need decent ones to work though. Mine had a five mile range. They were my son's who uses them for hunting.

• 4 weeks later...
On the Grand class ships, they worked very well, and also on the Regal. But on the Dawn and Sun, they work only in very limited areas, to the point where we gave up.
I took a pair of the original, half-watt FRS TalkAbout radios on my last Sun Princess trip and they didn't work worth a darn - like Tequila said, too much metal.

However, I just splurged on a pair of the 5 watt GMRS/FRS radios for my upcoming Dawn Princess trip. I'm looking forward to seeing how well they work.

I know some people have very strong feelings about walkie talkies and cellphones, but for some of us, it's a godsend, and frankly, it's our vacation too. I have somewhat limited mobility - in fact I am classed as handicapped. My travelling buddy is all over the place - she's the type who has to get up at 7am and make two circles around the promenade deck just to get her blood pumping. Being able to track her down when I need her or to reminder her of our plans to meet (she's a mite forgetful:D ) improves my vacation immensely.

Frankly, I'd be just as happy with silent text messaging if they can ever put a system like that in place on the ship. In the meantime, I can assure you that I am a lot less intrusive on my radio than, for example, the parade of screeching children that always seem to camp out near me.:p

There are 'FRS' (Family Radio System) type services in the US and Europe (PMR466) which operate on different frequencies.

Legally, you should understand that there are different systems used in different countries and so what's legal one place isn't elsewhere.

In the islands, it's a patchwork.

At sea? I doubt anybody cares as these are very much short-range systems.

(I've been told that one of the US FRS frequencies is a French Military channel and that they don't take kindly to interference. But that's hersay.)

Also the US FRS radios often include a second group of channels, called General Mobile Radio Service or GMRS. To use those legally, you need a US$75 (5 year) license - apply online at http://www.fcc.gov.

One license per family is sufficent (and you freeloading punks get off a my channel, yah hear?)...

-----Burton

Also the US FRS radios often include a second group of channels, called General Mobile Radio Service or GMRS. To use those legally, you need a US$75 5 year) license
In Canada, you don't need a license, but you must also not exceed 2 watts of output power. I think the 5 watt American sets which have Low, Medium and High power setting are fine up to the medium power level.

In international waters, though, I don't think there are any licensing or restrictions. Can any sea lawyer confirm this? :)

Hello..

I was wondering if anyone has used a two way radio on any of their cruises. Wasn't sure if they worked or would be worth bringing. We are going with some other people and thought that might be the best way to get in touch with each other during the cruise.

Thanks

YES!!! Bring them & use them on board & on excursions.

Best way to stay in contact and to tell each other where ice cream is on the buffet while the other save the chairs

CaroleLee

All of the reply posters to this thread should each get a Cruise Critic gold star! Not one has lectured Jenn on how, when or where to use her walkie talkies.

I bet that's a record for Walkie Talkie threads.

Thanks to everyone who contributed.:D

All of the reply posters to this thread should each get a Cruise Critic gold star! Not one has lectured Jenn on how, when or where to use her walkie talkies.

I bet that's a record for Walkie Talkie threads.

Thanks to everyone who contributed.:D

Unlike this thread::(

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=335827

Pay no mind to them, Jenn. There are rude/crude busybodies everywhere, even a few on Princess.

The only reason I'm posting the link is for amusement purposes.

Unlike this thread::(

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=335827

Pay no mind to them, Jenn. There are rude/crude busybodies everywhere, even a few on Princess.

The only reason I'm posting the link is for amusement purposes.

Thank you so much! I was the one who was totally flamed for asking a simple question about something that apparently other people also want to know about. I'm starting to see why this is called the cruise CRITIC board. The majority of people on the board appear to helpful, funny, informative, creative, and opinionated in a postive way. Unfortunately there are those who judge first and ask questions later. I read the responses to my question first and was astonished at the hostility in the replies. I then saw this post and wondered if the same people had answered her question in the same nasty ways. Happily, no. There were very thoughtful, helpful answers. Thanks to all!

Archived