Alaska Cruising - Limits are coming

techteach

There are four huge ships in port with us in Juneau in a couple weeks. Luckily we already have an excursion planned away from town. QE will be the smallest ship of the five that day. 
There has to be limits or the entire cruise experience in so many destinations will deteriorate. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NE John said:

There are four huge ships in port with us in Juneau in a couple weeks. Luckily we already have an excursion planned away from town. QE will be the smallest ship of the five that day. 
There has to be limits or the entire cruise experience in so many destinations will deteriorate. 

Glacier Bay, one the the National Parks of the US has had a limit on cruise line concessions for ages. Cunard were awarded their ten year concession at the renewals a few years ago. Maybe some sort of 'pruning' of visitors will be environmentally good for the ports too although businesses might carp a bit.

• Like 1

I live 5 minutes from one of the two piers in Seattle where cruise ships dock. The additional bus, van, taxi, and Uber traffic can be frustrating. Lots of people in a hurry so driving crazy or lost so impeding traffic. We do our weekly shopping at Pike Place Market and wading through people taking pictures of $89. Mushrooms has become the norm. While I pack my patience the businesses pack the money bags. The six months of tourism balances the ledger for the rest of the year when only the regulars buy the mushrooms. Seattle is large enough to be able to handle the inundation of 3 large cruise ships per day, but I can’t imagine more than that. For the small towns in Alaska it must feel over the top and maybe they just need a day of peace and quiet.

• Like 1

In 2022 there were five ships in Juneau on the day we were there. The QE was the unlucky one and we had to tender.  It worked well.

For our next cruise in July there are only three ships in Juneau that day.  Strangely, My Cunard says "tender required."  The CLAA shows the QE assigned to Franklin Dock.  From our past experience, the CLAA is more accurate than My Cunard.

On 6/9/2024 at 8:59 AM, david,Mississauga said:

In 2022 there were five ships in Juneau on the day we were there. The QE was the unlucky one and we had to tender.  It worked well.

For our next cruise in July there are only three ships in Juneau that day.  Strangely, My Cunard says "tender required."  The CLAA shows the QE assigned to Franklin Dock.  From our past experience, the CLAA is more accurate than My Cunard.

I think I was one or two cruises ahead of you that year, and the tendering in Juneau was a mess. I didn't go to get my ticket right away, figuring let the people in a hurry go first. I sat and waited for over an hour. 

I'm tendering in Juneau again this year. I have a tour, so that should get me off the ship in a timely manner. If the tour is cancelled, as it was 2 years ago, I won't bother to go ashore.