Viking Christmas Markets Cruise Excursions

countrypl

We are booked on the Rhine and Moselle Christmas Market Cruise, departing 11/28/24.  I am traveling with my cousin, who has mobility challenges.  He can use a walker, but not for long distances.  I'm concerned about his being able to go on the excursions.  Anyone have insight into what the excursions are like for mobility challenged people?  We will have both a walker and a wheelchair with us to use, depending on the venue and walking conditions.  How far are the markets from the port?  Are we shuttled to the markets?  Is there long distance walking on the included excursions?  There is so very little information in the descriptions.  Anyone have any recommendations regarding excursions that are not included in the price of the cruise?  We are open to paying for some excursions if they are unique and worthwhile. 

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You will hopefully get someone to comment on this particular river cruise itinerary as I have not done this one.

River cruising for those with mobility concerns can be a challenge.

First, there is no guarantee on river levels and that you will dock in the planned spots.  You could be docking further away if water levels are high or low which then would indicate bussing where walking would be the situation under normal water conditions.  This is something that you just never know with river cruising.

Last December we were on a Rhine cruise and we could not dock a couple of times in the planned location, and were a 15 minute bus ride from the town.

What you may or will experience is uneven surfaces and cobblestones in most ports.  For those with mobility concerns the cobblestones can often present a challenge.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you both for your responses.   I was aware of the cobblestone issue and I think he may well just remain on board on some of the port days.  Wish Viking would provide a little more information about the ports and excursions early on.  I'm sure we will find a way to make do.  Thanks again.

13 hours ago, countrypl said:

Thank you both for your responses.   I was aware of the cobblestone issue and I think he may well just remain on board on some of the port days.  Wish Viking would provide a little more information about the ports and excursions early on.  I'm sure we will find a way to make do.  Thanks again.

You can see a description of the shore excursions that might be offered on your cruise.  These are not a guarantee that you will have all of these and there could be ones offered that are not listed here....

• Go to the Viking River Cruise main website.
  • Select your cruise.
  • Go to the Itinerary page
  • Look at each day on-by-one, click on the excursions offered and you will see a description including the difficulty.

Example below:  (Note, Demanding listed at the bottom.)

After reading these, you could then email tellus@vikingcruises.com to ask specific questions about individual excursions.

image.thumb.png.5605cd13a4d8234496476c1ccd0677d3.png